Ps3 failed with ylod for the second time 10 days after returned from 1st repair

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mikester585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mikester585
Member since 2006 • 1064 Posts

Hello, a while back my ps3 failed randomly from the yellow light of death by randomly i mean i'd not even been playing the ps3 much being 1 hour a day for the past 2 months therefore it was strange that it failed on me, so i sent it off to a private company in london that repaired my playstation 3 console and then was playing it up to 3 hours each day on from then and 10 days later just loading up a game it switched off with some beeps and tehn turned back on and then i loaded up the game again and the ylod came up fully again. immediatly i sent an email to the company and requested a repair telling them the probelm and that they'd only just repaired it before so they said they'd repair it for free.

But why would this happen?

acemasta21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 acemasta21
Member since 2007 • 788 Posts

Hello, a while back my ps3 failed randomly from the yellow light of death by randomly i mean i'd not even been playing the ps3 much being 1 hour a day for the past 2 months therefore it was strange that it failed on me, so i sent it off to a private company in london that repaired my playstation 3 console and then was playing it up to 3 hours each day on from then and 10 days later just loading up a game it switched off with some beeps and tehn turned back on and then i loaded up the game again and the ylod came up fully again. immediatly i sent an email to the company and requested a repair telling them the probelm and that they'd only just repaired it before so they said they'd repair it for free.

mikester585
id buy a new ps3 because they just fix it and send you the same one again
Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts
Do you play for crazy amount of hours, i own the 80GB with no bc. and I've left it on all night on accident and it wasn't even hot.
MassiveKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 MassiveKaos
Member since 2006 • 3876 Posts

where did you get ti repaired at?

mikester585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mikester585

Do you play for crazy amount of hours, i own the 80GB with no bc. and I've left it on all night on accident and it wasn't even hot.Javieralijandro

No, not at all, i'd play for 3 hours a day maximum and a sleep timer would be 1 hour, so no i didn't play for crazy amounts of hours lol. i've noticed the fan does sound very loud though.

mikester585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mikester585

MassiveKaos
I got it repaired at http://esalesinc.co.uk/ps3repair/contact.htm which is located in London.
Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts
[QUOTE="mikester585"][QUOTE="MassiveKaos"]

I got it repaired at http://esalesinc.co.uk/ps3repair/contact.htm which is located in London.

Shouldve got it repaired from Sony
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
While it's generally cheaper to get it repaired by a 3rd party its not in your best interest, I guess you have no choice but to take it back to them since you already sunk your cash into it, but if they break it, you will just be out of luck.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Was it a 60gb model?
mikester585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mikester585
[QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"][QUOTE="mikester585"][QUOTE="MassiveKaos"]

i'd agree with you on that one now if i could go back.
mikester585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mikester585
While it's generally cheaper to get it repaired by a 3rd party its not in your best interest, I guess you have no choice but to take it back to them since you already sunk your cash into it, but if they break it, you will just be out of luck. Sepewrath
Yeh it really is my only option, but you feel that your paying that much money you'l get a good repair and thats waht i want so why shouldn't that happen,
Merc009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Merc009
Member since 2007 • 2620 Posts

mikester585

mikester585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mikester585
Was it a 60gb model? majadamus
yeh it's a 60gb model
Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts
[QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"][QUOTE="mikester585"] I got it repaired at http://esalesinc.co.uk/ps3repair/contact.htm which is located in London.mikester585

i'd agree with you on that one now if i could go back.

Yeah lol
kingmanbrosky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kingmanbrosky
Member since 2009 • 268 Posts

i bet its because your room is too hot, the ps3 overheats and then fails, play with a fan pointed towards the front vents by the usb holes under the disc tray, also have ur ps3 stand vertical, or get the pelican air flo intercooler

bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

Do you play for crazy amount of hours, i own the 80GB with no bc. and I've left it on all night on accident and it wasn't even hot.Javieralijandro

ha! that's nothing. i left mine on for 4 days straight when I went to virginiafor a family reunion. when i came back it was still working fine.

amob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 amob
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts

[QUOTE="Javieralijandro"]Do you play for crazy amount of hours, i own the 80GB with no bc. and I've left it on all night on accident and it wasn't even hot.mikester585

No, not at all, i'd play for 3 hours a day maximum and a sleep timer would be 1 hour, so no i didn't play for crazy amounts of hours lol. i've noticed the fan does sound very loud though.

the fans could be malfunctioning or the vents could be clogged with dust or something else. You really shouldn't notice any constant noise from your ps3. Also, is your room hot or is the console enclosed (entertainment center/wall)?
Gryphon700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gryphon700
Member since 2003 • 150 Posts

I've had my PS3 for a long time, and I always keep it on a hard surface, standing vertically, never on carpet, and I give it lots of room to breathe. I've never had any problems with it.

mikester585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mikester585

Hello, i'd like to update this post now by telling you all that the yellow light of death has happened to me for the third time from the same company who's fixed it, now it's off for another repair from them.

now just so you all know i keep the console well ventilated so lots of space, but i do notice the fan gets very loud.

the ps3 died in just the exact same ammount of days like after it came back from 1 st repair, so another exact 10 days.

now this sucks tbh but can anyone give me any reasons why this is happening?

thankyou :)

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

mikester585
Because said private company probably just took it apart and put a heat gun to it and try to reflow the solder, it works about 60% of units, the rest will either still not work or will break again shortly after....if you wanted it guaranteed to be fixed you probably should have gone through Sony otherwise you're just rolling the dice.
mikester585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mikester585
well like i said it lasted 10 days both times lol, and im not an intense gamer either.
Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

That's the thing you probably have a broken connection somewhere, the company you send it to will reflow the solder to try to fix it, and a couple days later when you turn on the system and it heats up, the connection breaks again.....so you might very well find yourself going back quite a few times before it stays fixed.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

They probably didn't repair it, they probably just gave you a different PS3 and that different PS3 probably had worst problems.

mikester585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mikester585
well to be honest i've had enough of it, should i attempt to fix it my self
Broken_Noobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Broken_Noobs
Member since 2009 • 182 Posts

Hello, i'd like to update this post now by telling you all that the yellow light of death has happened to me for the third time from the same company who's fixed it, now it's off for another repair from them.

now just so you all know i keep the console well ventilated so lots of space, but i do notice the fan gets very loud.

the ps3 died in just the exact same ammount of days like after it came back from 1 st repair, so another exact 10 days.

now this sucks tbh but can anyone give me any reasons why this is happening?

thankyou :)

mikester585
dude STOP PLAYING WHEN THE FAN GETS LOUD!! srlsy
mikester585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mikester585
oh rite so start a game up and then 5 mins later turn the ps3 off lol
amob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 amob
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
it sounds like the problem is the company you sent it to. send it to sony and save yourself any more trouble. your ps3 fans should not be constantly making noise. make sure that air is actually coming out of the back. if it isn't, the fans are not working. in any case, send it to sony and inform them of this.
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Well look at it this way, you could have spent 100$ on sending it to sony for a fix, but you chose to go the cheaper route and paid less but now you have to buy a new Ps3 all together. you screwed yourself over on that one IMO.

freekninjinc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 freekninjinc
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

Like was said before theyre probably just relfowing the solder on the cpu/gpu,but the reason why it would keep breaking ike that is the solder that was originally used was bad(sonys fault)so reflowing it just puts it back the way it was at the factory..a defective ps3.The 60gb are almost all like this.Good news(not entirely lol) is there may be the new slim coming pretty soon this or next month even,so now You have a reason to get it ha!