This topic is locked from further discussion.

smoke-demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 smoke-demon
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
Has anyone had a problem hardware wise with the ps3 so far if so what? Is there anything i can do to ensure a long and healthy life for my ps3?
Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts
Keep it in a safe place that is out of the way from falling hazards or smashing hazards. Other than that just turn it off when you arent using it(it wont make that big of a difference but will help).
KanefromCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 KanefromCanada
Member since 2006 • 119 Posts
also make sure its in a well ventilated area
WARRZONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 WARRZONE
Member since 2006 • 1308 Posts
Keep it in a safe place that is out of the way from falling hazards or smashing hazards. Other than that just turn it off when you arent using it(it wont make that big of a difference but will help). Sully28
Make sure it's in a well ventilated area (so it's not likely to overheat). Dust around it every so often (dust is not healthy for the insides).  A given is to keep it in low humidity.  Keep it at or a little under room temperature for best performance.  I would also suggest to play in 4 hour blocks so it will give the system a breather.  I played 8 hours straight once, but I know that can't be good for the long run (while it might not hurt it in the long run to leave it on for a long time, it definitely won't help).
smoke-demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 smoke-demon
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
Kool thanks im just kinda worried cause i just got it. Did have a 360 but i got the red lights of doom.
bondps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bondps3
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
  • well ventalated area
  • do not place in a dusty area
  • turn off when not using (will wear it out slowly)
  • keep slightly away from  tv (static can damage internals)
  • do not press anything during updates
  • do not play for too long

those are just somethings off the top of my head. hope i helped:D

WARRZONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WARRZONE
Member since 2006 • 1308 Posts
Kool thanks im just kinda worried cause i just got it. Did have a 360 but i got the red lights of doom.smoke-demon
np. The PS3 is not like the early 360s that had a failure rate of 30%. The failure rate of the PS3 is under 5%. Sony has built a quality piece of hardware this time around.
tranhgiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tranhgiang
Member since 2005 • 365 Posts
- Place the PS3 horizontal, not vertical. It is better for your drive when your disc spin in a horizontal position.

- 2 major enemies of electronic device, especially CPU based devices like PS3: dust and heat (well there's water, but that's common sense). To battle this place your PS3 in an open space if you can, prefer area with circulated air. Make sure there is nothing blocking the PS3 air hole (where the fan blow the air out). For the dust just keep your PS3 clean, buy a air can or something, the type they used for laptop.
- Stable electrical power: believe it or not, unstable power can be seriously dangerous for you PS3 (or any electronic device that is). A surge protector is a good choice if you really care about the life of your device.
- Do not expose your PS3 to direct sunlight, or anything similar.
- Smoke can be really bad: avoid it if you can.
- Do not let your wires tangled, keep them straight. Remember wires is a part of your console too. Make sure it's not expose to heat or anything extreme. Tangled wires does effect the current and the circuit inside.
- Treat your sockets and connector with care (place like where you plug stuff in, your usb socket and stuff). Be gentle when plug and unplug stuff.
- READ THE MANUALS.

Well that's kinda extreme. But with a little common sense you should be fine really: (don't wash your Ps3, no kids or lemming without supervisor...). Usually it's some kind of unforseen incidents that render your machine obsolete. So good luck :D

magikmark84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 magikmark84
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts
Also make sure to clean it atleast once a week or keep it covered once its cool and not in use, this beast machine is a dust magnet & when cleaning it dont forget to use the vaccume attachment to vaccume the vent area because the past where the ps3 sucks in air sucks in dust, keeping the inside clean will make your ps3 last very long if possible it'll last a life time, lol
neophase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 neophase
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Is that true about the..... Flip the player so it's not in a vertical position, rather, put it in a horizontal position because you want the CD spinning that way for longer life for the player?? Is it same for computers too, I can understand the concept, but was the ps3 made to be put horizontal or vertical or both?

Outside deck on the 2nd floor is about 4.5 feet from the ps3, and 6 feet from the TV, there is a screen for the patio, but is "TOO" cold bad for the ps3?? I do have a fan I can put in from the other side of the patio, just to circulate the air better around the living room or behind the TV.

It's my friend's ps3, so he's the one taking care of it, I really ought to read the manuals before coming here, my apologies, atleast I can acknowledge this. There's a cleaning kit that came with the ps3? a vacuum of a sort? what kind of cloth may I use to clean the unit, micro fiber cloth, anti-static cloth, ISO-Clean? I guess I'll never be cleaning the insides of the machine, that should be all good?

Another thing I could mention is make sure you hold onto the controller power button for 3 seconds when you want to turn off your ps3. It'll ask if you want to exit/quit shut down the ps3. I don't thinking powering it off is a good thing, esp while running a game/movie.