PS3 backwards compatibility question and recent SingStar patch

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RainbowBrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#1 RainbowBrite
Member since 2003 • 644 Posts
A friend's husband recently picked up a PS3 - one of the newer 80GB ones that is not backwards compatible with PS2 games. He swears that he just went to the Playstation Store and downloaded a patch that will let the console play PS2 games. (He's not trying to fake me out - he is acting genuine.) Now AFAIK there's no such patch, so the only thing I could think of was that he downloaded the SingStar PS2 patch and is confusing that with being able to play ALL PS2 games, not just SingStar titles. The thing is, they don't own any SingStar games. Would the PS Store even let him download a patch without owning the game? The only way I have seen a patch work on the PS3 is to put the game disc in, and it will tell you there's a patch... I haven't seen any you can just download whether you have the game or not.
RainbowBrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RainbowBrite
So can you download the Singstar patch without the game?
Joseph881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Joseph881
Member since 2004 • 1184 Posts
So can you download the Singstar patch without the game?RainbowBrite
In the case of Singstar and PS2 games that used the PS2 HDD Expansion, yes, you can download the patches without the game as they're PS2 titles. You download the patches off the PSN Store, but there is currently NO patch that allows newer PS3s to play PS2 games.
lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 lyndonAPI
Member since 2002 • 2794 Posts

A friend's husband recently picked up a PS3 - one of the newer 80GB ones that is not backwards compatible with PS2 games. He swears that he just went to the Playstation Store and downloaded a patch that will let the console play PS2 games. (He's not trying to fake me out - he is acting genuine.) Now AFAIK there's no such patch, so the only thing I could think of was that he downloaded the SingStar PS2 patch and is confusing that with being able to play ALL PS2 games, not just SingStar titles. The thing is, they don't own any SingStar games. Would the PS Store even let him download a patch without owning the game? The only way I have seen a patch work on the PS3 is to put the game disc in, and it will tell you there's a patch... I haven't seen any you can just download whether you have the game or not.RainbowBrite

Your friend's husband is mistaken. What he probably downloaded was a system file that (at the time PS3's did have BC) allowed the use of the PS3 hard drive for use with PS2 games that used a hard drive (Final Fantasy XI).

splodge200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 splodge200
Member since 2004 • 139 Posts
u can buy ps3 singstar wich once playing can allow u to swap around to a ps2 singstar game and sing the songs. but its more realy jsut transporting the music over. i figure ull have to download somin but i also figure it will tell u. so yeah u can play old ps2 singstars on ur ps3.
RainbowBrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RainbowBrite
Your friend's husband is mistaken. What he probably downloaded was a system file that (at the time PS3's did have BC) allowed the use of the PS3 hard drive for use with PS2 games that used a hard drive (Final Fantasy XI).lyndonAPI
Aha, thank you very much, that probably explains it.