PS3 and HDMI help needed !!! (sorry for this redundant question)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts

i finally got my PS3 into my apartment, where my LCD monitor with HDMI input is waiting to show me the PS3 in full 1080p.

sadly, when i plug in my PS3 via HDMI cables, the monitor stays black, with a taunting "No Signal" response.

to make sure that everything else is okay... i test out all over variables. i plug the same LCD monitor and HDMI cable to my DVR, which works perfectly fine. then i plug in my PS3 to my regular SDTV via the pack-in composite cables, and everything is working well also.

but everytime i plug in my PS3 to my LCD monitor through HDMI, i am left without any HD graphics (not even an HD XMB shows up:()

so can anyone help me out? what am i having problems with? any help will be appreciated. - thanks

ShmenonPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ShmenonPie
Member since 2007 • 1117 Posts
Get it to the stage where you've just got a red light showing at the front. Then press the power button at the front, and hold it like that until it makes a second beep noise, about 5 seconds, and it will automatically adjust to your TV by displaying through the HDMI cable. I had the same problem, just do what I said and it'll be fine.
casey7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 casey7672
Member since 2006 • 5348 Posts
You need to hold down the power button until it beeps. It'll reset your HDMI output. Then go into the display settings and set it to automatic for your HDMI output. It has to be set at a level your monitor will display, otherwise it will display a black screen.
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 c0mplex

You need to hold down the power button until it beeps. It'll reset your HDMI output. Then go into the display settings and set it to automatic for your HDMI output. It has to be set at a level your monitor will display, otherwise it will display a black screen. casey7672
Get it to the stage where you've just got a red light showing at the front. Then press the power button at the front, and hold it like that until it makes a second beep noise, about 5 seconds, and it will automatically adjust to your TV by displaying through the HDMI cable. I had the same problem, just do what I said and it'll be fine.ShmenonPie

tried it, but it unfortunately did not work.

would there be any reason why a PC LCD monitor would not be compatible with the PS3... or should all HDMI devices work with all screens with HDMI input?

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 c0mplex

here are my monitor specs... if it helps.

Sceptre x22wg-Gamer

1LowSDime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 1LowSDime
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts

I tried searching on Ask.com about PS3 on a computer monitor and came up with mixed results, but none really gave an answer. From what I saw, it should work.

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f6/hdmi-computer-screen-139673/
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&message.id=23167

And, here is the search results, incase you want to check them out:
http://www.ask.com/web?q=Can+a+PS3+work+on+a+computer+monitor%3F&qsrc=0&o=0&l=dir

I don't really see a reason why it shouldn't work. What's the max resolution your monitor can give?

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 c0mplex

I tried searching on Ask.com about PS3 on a computer monitor and came up with mixed results, but none really gave an answer. From what I saw, it should work.

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f6/hdmi-computer-screen-139673/
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&message.id=23167

And, here is the search results, incase you want to check them out:
http://www.ask.com/web?q=Can+a+PS3+work+on+a+computer+monitor%3F&qsrc=0&o=0&l=dir

I don't really see a reason why it shouldn't work. What's the max resolution your monitor can give?

1LowSDime

the answers you found in your search said that the monitor has to be HDCP compliant, which i believe my monitor is (according to the official website).

so is there any other possible problems? or is getting a new monitor my only other option?

1LowSDime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 1LowSDime

HDCP was meant if it didn't have HDMI and you had to get an HDMI-to-DVI cable.

Before you consider spending more money on a new monitor, try calling Sony Tech Support. Who knows, they might be able to help.

1LowSDime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 1LowSDime
You may also want to ask this question in the PC Hardware section, if you haven't already done so. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out there.
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 c0mplex
You may also want to ask this question in the PC Hardware section, if you haven't already done so. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out there.1LowSDime

HDCP was meant if it didn't have HDMI and you had to get an HDMI-to-DVI cable.

Before you consider spending more money on a new monitor, try calling Sony Tech Support. Who knows, they might be able to help.

1LowSDime

thanks for the advice... i'll try that.

and bump, for just this last time. i need to get some RESISTANCE in tonight.

giton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 giton
Member since 2007 • 1745 Posts
I tried to get my PS3 wokring with my 19 inch ViewSonic VP920b, without success. Good luck.
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 c0mplex

I tried to get my PS3 wokring with my 19 inch ViewSonic VP920b, without success. Good luck.giton

did you try to do it through HDMI also?

gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts
Get it to the stage where you've just got a red light showing at the front. Then press the power button at the front, and hold it like that until it makes a second beep noise, about 5 seconds, and it will automatically adjust to your TV by displaying through the HDMI cable. I had the same problem, just do what I said and it'll be fine.ShmenonPie
I thought you were supposed to turn it off in the BACK, then hold down the front power button when you turned it on in the back?
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts
I tried to get my PS3 wokring with my 19 inch ViewSonic VP920b, without success. Good luck.giton
But it worked with other HDTVs or Monitors?
giton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 giton

[QUOTE="giton"]I tried to get my PS3 wokring with my 19 inch ViewSonic VP920b, without success. Good luck.c0mplex

did you try to do it through HDMI also?

My monitor has a DVI input. I bought a HDMI to DVI adapter and tried with that combo. I could not get it to work, but I didn't try holding the power button down for 5 seconds like others said. I just tried turning it on, and I got a black screen.

giton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 giton

[QUOTE="giton"]I tried to get my PS3 wokring with my 19 inch ViewSonic VP920b, without success. Good luck.gizmo_logix
But it worked with other HDTVs or Monitors?

my PIoneer Pro-520HD is a 53 inch rear projection TV that only handles 480i and 480p resolution. it doesn't have an HDMI connector so I'm using component, and it works fine and the games look reasonably good. I don't have anything else that takes HDMI right now.

i bought a Panasonic TH-50PZ750U. it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but i have to call and have them reschedule cuz i can't be here to take delivery. it has 1080p native resolution and HDMI inputs.