PS2 BC download on PS Store

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LostLegacy54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 LostLegacy54
Member since 2006 • 569 Posts

NOTE: This is not an April Fools joke and it does not give 40gb PS3s backwards compatibilty.

I don't know how long this has been available, but I noticed it yesterday, that there is an update on the PSN store that makes it so PS2 games recognize a PS3 hard drive. that way you can save right to the HD without worrying about internal memory cards. Also, downloadable content for PS2 games like SOCOM Combined Assault can now be saved straight to the HD.

Just thought you might like to know.

SnoSlider-PS3-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 SnoSlider-PS3-
Member since 2007 • 178 Posts
Sounds like a load of bulls.h.i.t. to me! Hope you're right, though.
techargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 techargon
Member since 2003 • 646 Posts
it's been avaliable for a long long time, back when it was the 60gig and 20 gig skews, i think you still need to have the EE in the ps3 or have it atleast be BC for this to do anything, i dont think it will do anything on the new non BC systems
zizaz11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 zizaz11
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts

NOTE: This is not an April Fools joke and it does not give 40gb PS3s backwards compatibilty.

I don't know how long this has been available, but I noticed it yesterday, that there is an update on the PSN store that makes it so PS2 games recognize a PS3 hard drive. that way you can save right to the HD without worrying about internal memory cards. Also, downloadable content for PS2 games like SOCOM Combined Assault can now be saved straight to the HD.

LostLegacy54

But how do you apply the update and have the game recognize the hdd. I alrady have that ps2 hdd thing but don't know how to save ps2 save game files to the hdd.

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts
The download has been there for quite some time. From what it says, it's there to enable PS2 games that require hard disk installation to be played on the PS3. I'm guessing that is referring to FF XI.
techargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 techargon
Member since 2003 • 646 Posts
[QUOTE="LostLegacy54"]

zizaz11

But how do you apply the update and have the game recognize the hdd. I alrady have that ps2 hdd thing but don't know how to save ps2 save game files to the hdd.

you would still need the adapter to transfer your old files

LostLegacy54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#7 LostLegacy54
Member since 2006 • 569 Posts

This definitely works for the 80GB sku. I thought it worked on all PS2 games, but maybe I was wrong. idk.

It definitely works for SOCOM Combined Assault, since I tried it with that game, and it asked me if I wanted to partition 2GB of space for the game.

jt4mtb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jt4mtb
Member since 2003 • 2352 Posts
I think its for just the PS2 games that used the PS2's hard drive like Final Fantasy XI.
hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts
It doesn't work on all games though. I had tried it with socom 2 about 2-3 days ago, and it didn't work.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
It's not a BC download, instead it's a PS2 data download that would allow games that needed the software on the PS2 to play some games. It's more of a patch for some PS2 games on a BC PS3. This download has been around for some time now, not long ago it was easy to find in the PS Store but now it's almost hidden in the menus.
river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
its been there for a long time but it never worked, then poof out of no where this latest update fixed it, and zipper suddenly comes out with its 3rd mappack for socom and make all three of them free. i think they planned for this
Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts

I think its for just the PS2 games that used the PS2's hard drive like Final Fantasy XI.jt4mtb

Yep.