This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bobrobert_97 (28 posts) -
I am going to be getting either the PS vita or the 3ds, but I'm not sure which to get. I know the tech on both, but what is really going to be the deciding factors is the games. On one hand, the PS vita has games like persona 4 golden, wipeout 2048, and soul sacrifice look amazing. On the other hand, the 3ds has the Mario, mario kart, Zelda, and monster hunter. So my question is 1.) What are some great games on both handhelds and 2.) Which is preferred control-wise.
#2 Posted by Blabadon (28916 posts) -
WipeOut is fantastic. I'm really loving it right now. I'll edit this for more detail later, but this is how I put it: Current library: Vita Future library: 3DS
#3 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
As someone who has owned both since their launch (bought 3DS day one, Vita a few weeks after it came out), the 3DS has a better library now and a better library on the horizon. It's just not comparable. As for controls, I think the 3DS circle pad is much better than the Vita's sticks. The Vita's analog sticks have a limited range of motion and the placement on them is too near the face buttons/dpad, and it's very common accidentally hit dpad down or X when using them. On the other hand, Vita does have two sticks whereas 3DS needs an add-on for two. The touch screen on the 3DS is more precise, but since it's resistive it does not have multitouch like Vita's capacitive screen. So it's give and take on the controls, but 3DS has more great games now and far, far more to come in the future. Vita's future is shaky at best and I would advise buying one used (they're cheap as hell on my local Craigslist) or waiting for retailers to start discounting them to clear shelf space.
#4 Posted by voljin1987 (920 posts) -

Well, I was in your position too.. until i got both.. I must say my 3ds gets a lot more play than my vita.. games like mario 3d land, fire emblem, professor layton are incredible fun.. add to this complete backwards compatibility with ds and you have a massive library to choose from.. the psv is not lacking in the games department either but IMO the games are as compelling as the ones on the 3ds (for me luigi's mansion > gravity rush every time, a nsmb > lbp and so on).. right now the vita is gathering dust but i daresay i will play it soon, what with final fantasy x coming out.

I will just briefly list the cons of each system

3ds:

- no account linking for online purchases. so if you lose your 3ds you will have to rebuy the games again

- i have an ambassdor 3ds and its a finger print magnet - resistive touch screen (no gameplay impact becoz of this however)

- batter life is horrible with 3d and wi-fi turned on

- biggest feature is the 3d which is decent but not for everyone (some compain of headaches... i did not face any such issues)

ps vita:

- no pokemon (yeah, i know it has p4 golden.. but it doesnt even come close to pokemon)

- lack of portable games (there are good console quality games.. but hardly anything i can play in a short burst on route to work.. 3ds has layton, mario 3d land etc which is perfect for a short play)

- no backward compatibility with the physical umd drives. you can download the same game via the estore however.. so shouldnt be a problem for anyone who hasnt owned a psp.

- compared with the 3ds the future library doesnt look quite a good

- more expensive and uses custom card which is more expensive compared to the 3ds using normal sd cards this is just my opinion..

when it comes down to it.. i will always pick a mario over gravity rush.. layton over escape plan and pokemon over persona 4 golden.. it all comes down to the games.. i know ppl who love the vita and just could not stand to play on the 3ds.. if you like ninty exclusives go for the 3ds and if you like sony exclusives go for the vita.. from a future support standpoint, the 3ds is looking more promising as of now.. but it might change over the course of the coming year.

#5 Posted by drekula2 (3238 posts) -
At this point in time, I say neither. The original predecessors of both are superior choices due to the cheaper price and larger library.
#6 Posted by k--m--k (1317 posts) -

I got both, 

PS Vita is like extremely awesome and all,

but 3DS got Pokemon 

#7 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4393 posts) -

This should be in System Wars, but since I own both I'll give my 2 cents. As much as I've enjoyed my Vita it simply cannot compete with the onslaught of good games for the 3DS. Unlike Sony, Nintendo hasn't given up on their handheld and has announced a ton of news games for the 3DS. Yoshi's New Island, Pokemon X/Y, and LoZ A Link Between Worlds, and SSB being prime examples. What does the Vita have coming? Killzone Mercenary is the only noteworthy game I can think of. Don't get me wrong, the Vita has some great games like Persona 4, Gravity Rush, and what not, but the 3DS just seems to have way more quality games coming to it and the Vita has no hope of keeping up if Sony continues to neglect it. The 3DS is also backwards compatible for DS games so that's another huge library of games you can play. 

#8 Posted by Ovirew (6842 posts) -

I would buy the 3DS again just for Fire Emblem Awakening.  I can't say any game on the Vita interests me that much.

That said, probably not gonna happen, that ship has sailed for me.  I think I am done with the Vita though.  At least Sony seems to be giving the PS4 support.

#9 Posted by michel3105 (80 posts) -

I think that, to make the right choice, you should really ask yourself what kind of games you truly like, and what kind of games you don't want to miss.

If you think you are going to love the cutish games of Shigeru Miyamoto, and want to collect Pocket Monsters, you already know what's right for you.

Also, Nintendo handheld is cheaper and guarenteed to have a solid support in the West, with more of the said games coming and rapidly translated in English.

I would advise to get a Vita only if:

- You are willing to take a risk.

- You love Japanese games, and don't mind importing them and playing them in Japanese if they aren't translated.

- You have some interest or curiosity towards indie games.

- You can't live without some games only available on this handheld.

I own a Vita and will never regret it, but, at the moment, the 3DS appears to be the safest choice.

#10 Posted by bobrobert_97 (28 posts) -

I think that, to make the right choice, you should really ask yourself what kind of games you truly like, and what kind of games you don't want to miss.

If you think you are going to love the cutish games of Shigeru Miyamoto, and want to collect Pocket Monsters, you already know what's right for you.

Also, Nintendo handheld is cheaper and guarenteed to have a solid support in the West, with more of the said games coming and rapidly translated in English.

- You love Japanese games, and don't mind importing them and playing them in Japanese if they aren't translated.

I own a Vita and will never regret it, but, at the moment, the 3DS appears to be the safest choice.

michel3105
I noticed that section right after posting this topic. My apologies.

michel3105
Then would it be better to buy a refurbished one from GameStop? I might do that since I'm willing to risk it.
#11 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15555 posts) -

I've owned both since they released. I would say it's no question that the Vita is a much better system, and no question that the 3DS has much better games.

This is just talking about their own games, if you don't own a DS then you have access to that great library of games with the 3DS. If you don't own a PS or PS3 you have access to great Playstation Classic games with the Vita, don't own a PS3 and you can get some of those games on the Vita, and PSP games if you don't own that.

Vita

Soul Sacrifice
Persona 4 Golden (not as big a deal if you own Persona 4 of course)
Gravity Rush (although I wasn't impressed by it)
Muramasa with new content
Ys 7

Both

Zero Escape Virtues Last Reward
Rayman Origins (Better on Vita)

3DS

Fire Emblem
Ghost Recon
Mario
Pokemon
Zelda
Devil Survivor with new content
Devil Survivor 2 with new content
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Tales of the Abyss (also on PS2)
SMT Soul Hackers

#12 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15555 posts) -

Then would it be better to buy a refurbished one from GameStop? I might do that since I'm willing to risk it.

I'd buy a Vita on Ebay like I did (after my first was stolen). Ended up paying about $210 for a new system, a cover, screen guard, Rayman, Golf game, and a 16GB memory card. That was almost a year ago and not even the best deal I had seen. I could have gotten a warranty on it too.
#13 Posted by bobrobert_97 (28 posts) -
Sounds good but I might try Craigslist or some other place online. Last time I bought an Xbox 360 and it came to me with the RROD. Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll definitely be getting a vita then.
#14 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15044 posts) -
I would love to get a Vita but it just doesn't have support. Also, 3DS has animal crossing.
#15 Posted by Poinciana (56 posts) -
Go for the 3DS, by far. The future of the Vita is iOS/Android ported indie games and the use as a controller for the PS4.
#16 Posted by Rahnyc4 (6597 posts) -
i own a vita and i say go for a 3ds, as long as its 3ds xl. the vita right now doesn't have great games. i look at the 3ds and theres so many better games on it than vita. right now the vita is starved for games.
#17 Posted by lhc221 (25 posts) -
If you can get a PSV refurbished, it's a good deal. I wouldn't listen to people who say the Vita doesn't have great games because it's all a matter of preference. Despite Vita's lacking presence at E3 (other than for indies), there are a slew of great games on the horizon for 2013: Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, Tearaway, Killzone, and if you're into JRPGs, Y's Celceta and FFXHD. 3DS has the more stable library and ongoing 1st party support from Nintendo - the problem with this is that Nintendo barely ever takes risks and puts out games that rely on age-old formulas. If you've played Nintendo games in the past, you already know what it has to offer. Games I loved were Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey, and will be playing Shin Megami Tensei (possibly Animal Crossing as well). Games like Mario, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong, and Luigi's Mansion were fun the first time around, but I've lost interest.
#18 Posted by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

They're quite differenet and are providing different content thus saying I'd say the best option would be to get both
I have both and I'm quite happy.

Overall 3DS might have richer library while VITA is a more powerfull system with better specs and a fantastic screen. Also more indies are available on VITA than on 3ds.

#19 Posted by d_parker (1725 posts) -

Have both and say it's a toss up based on what games you want to play.

Make a list of existing games, whichever one has more that you want to play, get it.

The Vita seems amazing from a technical standpoint but the 3DS feels cheap and last genish.

#20 Posted by spike6958 (5110 posts) -
It's hard to say really I enjoy both systems. I guess if you're looking for a large quantity of titles 3DS is the way to go. It has a much larger library of games, and you also have the backlog of DS games, and there are a lot of outstanding titles to be found there. Vita on the other hand doesn't have anywhere near the amount of games 3DS has, though you do have access to PSP and PS1 games via PSN, and it's home to what is easily one of the best games I've ever played, Persona 4 Golden, that game alone is better than anything released on the 3DS and DS.
#21 Posted by voljin1987 (920 posts) -
It's hard to say really I enjoy both systems. I guess if you're looking for a large quantity of titles 3DS is the way to go. It has a much larger library of games, and you also have the backlog of DS games, and there are a lot of outstanding titles to be found there. Vita on the other hand doesn't have anywhere near the amount of games 3DS has, though you do have access to PSP and PS1 games via PSN, and it's home to what is easily one of the best games I've ever played, Persona 4 Golden, that game alone is better than anything released on the 3DS and DS.spike6958
I played the game and finished it on my PS2.. Havent gotten it yet for the vita.. is there anything in the vita version which would warrant a second buy?
#22 Posted by Bigboi500 (31573 posts) -

My favorite titles.

PS Vita:

Persona 4 Golden

Gravity Rush

Little Big Planet Vita

Sly Cooper 4

3DS:

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Super Mario 3D Land

Mario Kart 7

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Tales of the Abyss

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

Upcoming games I'm excited for.

PS Vita:

Tearaway

Muramasa: Rebirth

3DS:

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Rune Factory 4

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Pokemon Y

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

#23 Posted by bobrobert_97 (28 posts) -

From what I have seen/heard, you get two new social links, you get a bike that you can ride to certain places, you can go out at night and do some things in the city, you can actually visit and explore okina city, more personas, gardening at home which apparently gives items(?), and other things that I cannot think of at the moment. Altogether, it seems to add a fairly good amount of content.

#24 Posted by voljin1987 (920 posts) -

From what I have seen/heard, you get two new social links, you get a bike that you can ride to certain places, you can go out at night and do some things in the city, you can actually visit and explore okina city, more personas, gardening at home which apparently gives items(?), and other things that I cannot think of at the moment. Altogether, it seems to add a fairly good amount of content.

bobrobert_97
thanks.. but I'll pass :P was bummed by the p3p re-release.. will end up getting FFX for the second time though
#25 Posted by bobrobert_97 (28 posts) -

Seems better than p3p, in my opinion. At least P4G has the nice anime cutscenes and the normal running around through town unlike p3p's menu system style traveling out of dungeons.

#26 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (2828 posts) -
Own both and I play the 3ds more. If you can throw pokemon into the judgement, you got a winner :)
#27 Posted by MAILER_DAEMON (45906 posts) -
This thread went much longer here than it should have.