This topic is locked from further discussion.

Meta-Gnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Meta-Gnostic
Member since 2007 • 977 Posts

Do you think Sony will offer a version of PS+ for movies? How would you set it up if you were in charge of creating it?

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Do you think Sony will offer a version of PS+ for movies? How would you set it up if you were in charge of creating it?

Meta-Gnostic
Do you work for Sony and were asked to set it up.. cause if so we aren't telling you how to do your job.. sneaky. Nice try though.
Meta-Gnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Meta-Gnostic
[QUOTE="Meta-Gnostic"]

Rattlesnake_8
Do you work for Sony and were asked to set it up.. cause if so we aren't telling you how to do your job.. sneaky. Nice try though.

Hahaha. I wish I worked for Sony. But seriously I've been thinking they should do a PS+ for movies for a while now. I haven't thought much about what that would actually be though, whether it be free rentals of certain movies or get to keep movies. I think we could come up with some good ideas for it though. Like they could give free rentals of movies that have sequels coming out or free rentals of movies of an actor that has a new movie coming out.
NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"][QUOTE="Meta-Gnostic"]

Meta-Gnostic

Hahaha. I wish I worked for Sony. But seriously I've been thinking they should do a PS+ for movies for a while now. I haven't thought much about what that would actually be though, whether it be free rentals of certain movies or get to keep movies. I think we could come up with some good ideas for it though. Like they could give free rentals of movies that have sequels coming out or free rentals of movies of an actor that has a new movie coming out.

It would probably be something to that of like Netflix, but Amazon Video, Netflix, and Vudu are already available for the PS3...so it really isn't necessary for the ps3 to have a PS Plus movie section. Unless they add movies to the current ps plus plan. Which then that would be awesome, but I can't imagine it being too cost effective at the moment unless they start off with just their own produced movies.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

On some level it makes sense for the natural progression of the Sony brand, but I see several challenges:

-Existing video streaming services

-No substantial added value for the non-gaming crowd

Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Azzurri22
Member since 2011 • 168 Posts

I'd love a few free HD movie rentals to be added to the current Playstation Plus service. I couldn't see it working as a standalone service just for films though, due to reasons noted above.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I have Netflix. I am not interested in a movies version of PS+.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
No.
woodyfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#9 woodyfr
Member since 2010 • 288 Posts
Don't care if they would do that. I use mainly my PS3 for games and I buy movies on discs only.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#10 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

That's a good idea, considering a close-by movie rental shop has gone into administration recently, there won't be anywhere for me to rent any movies nearby, and I don't want to buy every movie I want to watch, nor would I want to constantly pay out the current prices on PSN. I'd like to see a PS+ for movies.

Meta-Gnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Meta-Gnostic

[QUOTE="Meta-Gnostic"][QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]

It would probably be something to that of like Netflix, but Amazon Video, Netflix, and Vudu are already available for the PS3...so it really isn't necessary for the ps3 to have a PS Plus movie section. Unless they add movies to the current ps plus plan. Which then that would be awesome, but I can't imagine it being too cost effective at the moment unless they start off with just their own produced movies.

NodakJo2010
It isn't necessary. PS+ isn't necessary either. Sony has the movie and tv streaming part of their Sony Entertainment Network store. There is a huge incentive for them to get you to subscribe to a PS+ for movies instead of giving your money to competitors. I can't imagine Sony getting much money, if any at all, when you rent or buy from Amazon, Netflix, or Vudu instead of Sony itself.

On some level it makes sense for the natural progression of the Sony brand, but I see several challenges:

-Existing video streaming services

-No substantial added value for the non-gaming crowd

Gxgear
Sony's has it's own streaming service and did so before the others. How is there no substantial value if you're paying a small fee and getting a lot more out of than what you pay (just like PS+)? You pay $24.99 a year and get 2 free rentals a month. That would be huge savings over just renting movies yourself, and it would make Sony money because there are people like me who would not rent many movies at all without that type of service.
Don't care if they would do that. I use mainly my PS3 for games and I buy movies on discs only.woodyfr
Same here. I only buy movies on disc, but I do like to rent movies too. I can see how Netflix is probably the biggest detriment to a PS+ for tv/movies, but it could still be done with a small annual fee that gets you discounts, free rentals, & free movies to keep. If that's successful they could enlarge it to a service that could directly compete with Netflix.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
No, I highly doubt SCEA and Sony Pictures would coordinate on that level.