Price drops don't matter if store employees steer customers towards the 360!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Peppino7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Peppino7
Member since 2003 • 249 Posts
I've heard plenty of stories about how gamestop/eb/walmart etc have employees that tell customers that the ps3 is useless and that the 360 is the way to go. A curious shopper will probably be persuaded by what the employee says unless they went to the store specifically for the ps3. I can't see an employee say "Well there are a lot of games coming out soon for the ps3." Or, saying "Well for 50$ more you can get a blu-ray player." Sometimes it seems like ps3 doesn't have a fair chance b/c consumers aren't as educated as we are who search the forums for knowledge. Ps3 Also needs more tv advertisements. I barely see any. What do you guys think?
SizeMatterzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SizeMatterzz
Member since 2007 • 1858 Posts

Well ur right about sony needs to do more tv advertisements.

But If you buy anything from gamestop, thats ur problem :roll:

GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts
na because when a cosumer has his heart on something there is no one that will change that. plus a kid asking for a ps 3 for xmas you think the parent will change to the xbox because some store clurk tells them na. if someone changes to the other one that is because he wants to.
LivingReceiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 LivingReceiver
Member since 2007 • 298 Posts
With the right marketing PS3 can really increase their sales, I never saw commercials for Warhawk, Resistance or Ninja Gaiden. Nothing for the PS3 except when it was first released featuring Motorstorm.

The 360 kept having those "Jump in" commercials. Which were done properly I guess, a bunch of kids in the ghetto playing jump rope.
diamond2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 diamond2d
Member since 2007 • 750 Posts

I've heard plenty of stories about how gamestop/eb/walmart etc have employees that tell customers that the ps3 is useless and that the 360 is the way to go. A curious shopper will probably be persuaded by what the employee says unless they went to the store specifically for the ps3. I can't see an employee say "Well there are a lot of games coming out soon for the ps3." Or, saying "Well for 50$ more you can get a blu-ray player." Sometimes it seems like ps3 doesn't have a fair chance b/c consumers aren't as educated as we are who search the forums for knowledge. Ps3 Also needs more tv advertisements. I barely see any. What do you guys think? Peppino7

Total agree mate More adverts Sony!

pablito3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pablito3
Member since 2005 • 254 Posts
garryth u summed it all up. when sumone has his heart set on buying a ps3 not dumb clerk can peruade him. thats why i dont go to gamestop.
timmy1312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 timmy1312
Member since 2003 • 81 Posts
I wan in an eb once and some executives of the company came in to see how the store was doing and he kept on saying to make the xbox 360 section closer to the door and bigger,
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
The arguments that Gamestop employees have are dwindling. The main one was "it's not worth it" but with the $400 price now, that makes no sense when they see the sign that there is only a $50 price difference.
jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts
umm i think your all crazy, thats ok. we need crazy people!
Dimb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dimb
Member since 2005 • 1178 Posts

na because when a cosumer has his heart on something there is no one that will change that. plus a kid asking for a ps 3 for xmas you think the parent will change to the xbox because some store clurk tells them na. if someone changes to the other one that is because he wants to.GARRYTH

its funny that you say that because way back when I got my psone i originally wanted an N64 soo bad. But my dad kept telling me that the playstation looked a lot better and that that should be my choice. I begged and pleaded for an N64. But come christmas he got me a psone. a month later I bought FFVII...I never looked back.

But yeah its true sony should invest more in advertising their games because thats the only way most people know about the system. Looking back on it i would have never bought FFVII if i never saw those commercials.But the tricky thing now is that a lot more people go on the internet more than the TV these days so its hard to find the right balence in adverising.

donnygorgas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 donnygorgas
Member since 2005 • 2531 Posts

It's all the gamestop employee's who make the PS3 sell worse than the other two consoles. Obviously.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

I wan in an eb once and some executives of the company came in to see how the store was doing and he kept on saying to make the xbox 360 section closer to the door and bigger,timmy1312

Because its the premier next gen console at the moment. Until Sony justifies their system with legitimate AAA games and unique experiences that cannot be had anywhere else they aren't going to move consoles. Besides, inferior multi-plats of Madden and NCAA matter to ALOT of people in America at least.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts

Sony needs to start advertising its games instead of the console itself.

HD graphics, tilt support, CELL processor, floating consoles, small white rooms, blah blah blah... why would the average consumer care about this? i havent seen an actual TV ad that endorsed a game on the PS3 since Motorstorm in the US.

all the while every multiplatform game that is on the PS3 has a huge Xbox 360 logo after the promo.

MS's marketing team is just sweeping the floor with Sony's marketing team. the fact that MS had to deal with the RROD and still sell their consoles like crazy is almost borderline ridiculous when considering the low sales of the PS3.

Game-o_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Game-o_O
Member since 2005 • 2275 Posts

Haha, my gamespot employers are a lot more educated. They were sitting their laughing at the people sitting infront of the store waiting for halo. :p I bought my PS3 that day :D *The night that would be the launch*

Anyways, older people are usually very close minded. They are all typically uneducated in "just new" technology. Although they probably know everything about a combustion engine when it was new :3.

Game-o_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Game-o_O
Member since 2005 • 2275 Posts
I've seen comercials for almost all of their games. I don't believe I've seen ones for the older games though. (Oblivion/Ninja Gaiden)
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

Haha, my gamespot employers are a lot more educated. They were sitting their laughing at the people sitting infront of the store waiting for halo. :p I bought my PS3 that day :D *The night that would be the launch*

Anyways, older people are usually very close minded. They are all typically uneducated in "just new" technology. Although they probably know everything about a combustion engine when it was new :3.

Game-o_O

How does laughing at people for buying a AAA game make them more educated? Honestly, I'd like to know...

Peppino7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Peppino7
Member since 2003 • 249 Posts
At least someone's eb/gamestop's employees are educated!
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts
This happens. I have seen this happen a few times. Gamestop/EB employees are biased and will favor the 360. It's sad because as the TC mentioned, not every game consumer is well aware of what he or she may purchase. I don't trust any Gamestop or EB employee when I want games.
shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 shadystxxx
Member since 2005 • 2158 Posts

[QUOTE="timmy1312"]I wan in an eb once and some executives of the company came in to see how the store was doing and he kept on saying to make the xbox 360 section closer to the door and bigger,TheSystemLord1

Because its the premier next gen console at the moment. Until Sony justifies their system with legitimate AAA games and unique experiences that cannot be had anywhere else they aren't going to move consoles. Besides, inferior multi-plats of Madden and NCAA matter to ALOT of people in America at least.

Your right its just smart buisness not a conspiracy against sony.

If i owned a store i would allocate the bet spots for th best selling consoles, it's just good buisness.

shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shadystxxx

Game-o_O

I wouldnt call them educated i call them the other half, ps3 fans.

And when you mean older people do you mean 40-70 year old people, older people a far from narrow minded its the youth the a narrow minded.

I knwo allot of "older" people who play ps3/360 and they would take you to town on your fav games, my dad for instance is a proper tech head and has all the latest gadgets and he is 45.

Older people as in 60-70 year old tend to not want to learn how to use or even care about modern tech, that certainly doesnt make them narrow minded, infact your comment makes you narrow minded.

shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shadystxxx

At least someone's eb/gamestop's employees are educated!Peppino7

How are they educated, its all a matter o taste having different taste in games doesnt make somebody educated in games.

If they were eductaed in video games they would appreciate what halo does well een if they personally didnt like that game.

Like i dont like the R&C games but i appreciate whatthey do well an i know they are good video games there just not my cup of tea.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
You are writing that as if ALL EB/Gamestop employees are biased towards the 360 and that holds absolutely no weight.

Perhaps these employees are working and they see more people buying 360s and that is why they are recommending it. Or maybe they just like the 360 better because it has more features that they are interested in.

You clearly like the PS3 better and that is fine, but it is also your opinion and.....holy crap......there may be other people with a different one.

TheTrueMarik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheTrueMarik
Member since 2005 • 138 Posts
actually, the guy who works at the EB near my house is a sony fan
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mazing87

I have never witnessed any of the employees recommend the PS3. I am not saying there aren't any that exist.

It's one thing to recommend a system but to flat out say "Get the 360, it's a better system" isn't helpful to me. I will then say "Oh really" then ask...

What's the top genre for the system?

What features does the 360 have thatthe PS3 doesn't?

How's the online, no not the amount of people that populate it, just the overall efficiency of it and is it user friendly?

Is it free? Is there a fee?

What's the failure rate of the system or how reliable or durable is it?

What other types of media can the system play?

Any built in features that stand out or do I need to get extra hardware and cables?

I like sports, mature action/adventure, and some shooter games. What are the ratings of the top 5 games for the 360?

Yes I would ask all of these questions, and yes, the EB/Gamestop employees won't like me. I don't care. Don't tell me what system I should get if you can't answer my questions to convince me that what you say is in fact valid. Oh, I disagree with the statement that EB/Gamestop employees are educated.... yea ok!

You are writing that as if ALL EB/Gamestop employees are biased towards the 360 and that holds absolutely no weight.

Perhaps these employees are working and they see more people buying 360s and that is why they are recommending it. Or maybe they just like the 360 better because it has more features that they are interested in.

You clearly like the PS3 better and that is fine, but it is also your opinion and.....holy crap......there may be other people with a different one.

Large_Soda

GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts
I agree with the statement that most non-gamers (parents) don't know what all is included in the PS3 is. Most just see the high price tag and it's just another game system. Most don't know it can also store and play music. As well as upcoming movie trailers. They don't know that it has a built in internet browser, in which they can use for free if they already have internet service to begin with. The average consumer doesn't know that (and several other things about the PS3). They take one look at the price tag and immediately say it's too expensive. They think, "My kid wouldn't mind playing another system."the parent may also think, "My kid would be thankful that I get them a new game at all." What they would be referring to is another system that's cheaper and thought to be nothing more than a gaming console. Sony could fix that problem easily with more advertising. If the average consumer began gaining knowledge on what the PS3 could do, besides play games, then they would probably see that the price tag is rather justified. Especially since a 40 gb will soon be available for 399 (plus tax).
blind5sparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blind5sparrow
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts
In September I was at EB Games and Gamestop at a mall which are basically the same store but both stores were pushing people away from the PS3. However, this past Friday at Gamestop they were saying how the PS3 was starting to look good and more and more people were coming in for games, and they even had a load of preorders already for some games coming out in November. Hopefully that means that PS3 is going to finally get some respect.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

I have never witnessed any of the employees recommend the PS3. I am not saying there aren't any that exist.

It's one thing to recommend a system but to flat out say "Get the 360, it's a better system" isn't helpful to me. I will then say "Oh really" then ask...

How's the online, no not the amount of people that populate it, just the overall efficiency of it and is it user friendly?

Any built in features that stand out or do I need to get extra hardware and cables?

I like sports, mature action/adventure, and some shooter games. What are the ratings of the top 5 games for the 360?

Yes I would ask all of these questions, and yes, the EB/Gamestop employees won't like me. I don't care. Don't tell me what system I should get if you can't answer my questions to convince me that what you say is in fact valid. Oh, I disagree with the statement that EB/Gamestop employees are educated.... yea ok!

[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]You are writing that as if ALL EB/Gamestop employees are biased towards the 360 and that holds absolutely no weight.

mrvic87

If you walk into a game store and ask those questions and they don't answer them for you then that is unfortunate and I am positive it is not the norm. You have experienced that problem, but I have seen the contrary. I just wouldn't label every employee as uneducated.

And what if the answer to all of those questions invariably is the 360? Are they still wrong, or biased?

Teyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Teyon
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts
I had a really positive experience at my local GameStop in Harlem today. I went to get FolkLore for myself and also buy it (and the 360 Stranglehold) for my nephew who is getting a PS3 tomorrow for his birthday (he got a 360 last christmas). Well, I walk in and the staff is super excited about Eye of Judgment, chatting up a pair of customers about it. The young woman behidn the counter who helped me was really interested in what her manager and the two customers were saying. Apparently, she just got a PS3 herself and was super psyched for Ratchet and Clank Future. They even had a the PS3 sizzle video showing on one of the TV screens in the store (directly above the PS3 used games/360 used games). It was on a steady loop, as I was online for a bit (it was crowded today for some reason). Anyway, this was a big difference from my experience at Best Buy and a different Gamestop in downtown Manhattan last June, where they were bad mouthing the PS3.
PsyKosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 PsyKosis
Member since 2005 • 862 Posts

Luckily in Canada, from what i've expierienced EBstend not to be biased. Atleast in the K-W Region in Ontario.

Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts

Sony needs to start advertising its games instead of the console itself.

HD graphics, tilt support, CELL processor, floating consoles, small white rooms, blah blah blah... why would the average consumer care about this? i havent seen an actual TV ad that endorsed a game on the PS3 since Motorstorm in the US.

all the while every multiplatform game that is on the PS3 has a huge Xbox 360 logo after the promo.

MS's marketing team is just sweeping the floor with Sony's marketing team. the fact that MS had to deal with the RROD and still sell their consoles like crazy is almost borderline ridiculous when considering the low sales of the PS3.

c0mplex

even though its selling well, the 360 isnt exactly "selling like crazy" that would only apply to the Wii.

fastgamer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fastgamer01
Member since 2003 • 692 Posts
Iwas in aGAME storethe uk's equivalent ofEB and there was an employee telling a customer that the ps3 does not have any usb ports the wifi is so weak you can't even sit on the crouch and its a boring gray colour.I could not just stand there and let him brainwash the poor guy. just to spite me he asked the guy at the counter to id me for mgs 2 substance (which works on the pal ps3 even through its not on list) good job i had id
baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts

I think most workers are just doing a good job in telling what is hot right now. Lets be honest our PS3 library is not the greatest right now, so to the people that want something now maybe they should get a 360. That is of coarse if the games is all you care about. Now, I got my PS3 because of its future and capabilities,hopefully by the middle of next year there will be people working at Gamestop that gives the PS3 respect.

This is just like when you go to Circuit city and you ask for a Blue-ray player the worker might tell you about the HD-player just so you are sure about your purchase.

Now to totally contradict myself there are some workers at these stores who are total fanboys and will boo you if you want to buy a PS3. My advice for when that happens is to just by your PS3 and get ready for next years dominance.

firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts

I've heard plenty of stories about how gamestop/eb/walmart etc have employees that tell customers that the ps3 is useless and that the 360 is the way to go. A curious shopper will probably be persuaded by what the employee says unless they went to the store specifically for the ps3. I can't see an employee say "Well there are a lot of games coming out soon for the ps3." Or, saying "Well for 50$ more you can get a blu-ray player." Sometimes it seems like ps3 doesn't have a fair chance b/c consumers aren't as educated as we are who search the forums for knowledge. Ps3 Also needs more tv advertisements. I barely see any. What do you guys think? Peppino7

if you're not educated in the first place why even buy it??? I know very little about this item, but am going to purchase it anyways............

firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts

I think most workers are just doing a good job in telling what is hot right now. Lets be honest our PS3 library is not the greatest right now, so to the people that want something now maybe they should get a 360. That is of coarse if the games is all you care about. Now, I got my PS3 because of its future and capabilities,hopefully by the middle of next year there will be people working at Gamestop that gives the PS3 respect.

This is just like when you go to Circuit city and you ask for a Blue-ray player the worker might tell you about the HD-player just so you are sure about your purchase.

Now to totally contradict myself there are some workers at these stores who are total fanboys and will boo you if you want to buy a PS3. My advice for when that happens is to just by your PS3 and get ready for next years dominance.

baller72

or when they boo you just tell them you're taking your money to a store that isn't full of childish fanboys

itsme185

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 itsme185
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts
IMO, in new zealand (were i live) i go down to the shop and i ask the guy whats better ps3 or 360 (this is when ps3 first came out, i was just seeing what he would say as im more of a 360 fanboy) he said obvisoly the ps3 look at the price. So i guess it works in sony's favour to. People that know nothing about technology are going to think the most expensive is better.
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mazing87

I didn't label every single EB employee to be uneducated. I visited a Gamestop store from another state a long time ago and the staff was extremely helpful and unbiased. I ended up getting Resident Evil 2 at that time.

And if they answered the questions with 360 across the board, I would go somewhere else and ask the same questions.

[QUOTE="mrvic87"]

[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]You are writing that as if ALL EB/Gamestop employees are biased towards the 360 and that holds absolutely no weight.

Large_Soda

If you walk into a game store and ask those questions and they don't answer them for you then that is unfortunate and I am positive it is not the norm. You have experienced that problem, but I have seen the contrary. I just wouldn't label every employee as uneducated.

And what if the answer to all of those questions invariably is the 360? Are they still wrong, or biased?

General_Lee45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 General_Lee45
Member since 2004 • 556 Posts

or when they boo you just tell them you're taking your money to a store that isn't full of childish fanboys

firebreathing

Exactly and not ever buy anything there until they stop.

siranikita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 siranikita
Member since 2005 • 82 Posts
Well, i think everyone knows that Gamestop is biased, so if you buy from them, just make sure that you cannot be persuaded otherwise. As for my advise...ever considered buying from Amazon.com. That's what i do, oh yeah, and Gamefly.