This topic is locked from further discussion.

pmurph13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pmurph13
Member since 2004 • 2356 Posts

When portable ops was first announced ,it was shortly after i dropped my psp down a flight of stairs so naturally i got pretty annoyed about that considering a "real" mgs game was what i was waiting for(although i had alot of fun with Ac!d).

But, now i have a new psp with a copy of the game, and with the confusing mission structure and newfangled ideas incorporated into a game with a broken camera system, i gotta be honest im just not really enjoying it.

And being a pretty big metal gear fan that sucks,im just wondering is there gonna come a point in the game where it just sucks me in? im only at the hospital picking up medicine for the first time but im just not gripped, i was liking the story a little but the bad gameplay and confusing stuff about capturing enemy soldiers has completely thrown me off, i just cant seem to take it in or get used to the broken camera/fiddly controls at all , does it get ANY easier?!

Having said all this i do think mgs can work on psp, i played the peace walker demo and had a great time with it.

tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts
Not sure myself....I gave up due to the poor controls. I honestly have no idea how this game scored so highly.
M_1_A_M_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 M_1_A_M_I
Member since 2010 • 938 Posts

I have it and like it alot. But after playing the Peace Walker demo it's hard to play because the controls are so bad and I realized that after playing Peace Walker. I still enjoy the game just not nearly as much.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I'm a huge Metal Gear fan, played all of them including the ones for MSX. But I couldn't stand Portable Ops because of the horrible controls and camera. It was completely unplayable to me.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

Not sure myself....I gave up due to the poor controls. I honestly have no idea how this game scored so highly.tarzanell

People actually bothered to learn how to play it.

coochie_kuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 coochie_kuta
Member since 2003 • 660 Posts
i must be retarded because the controls were easy for me and i actually liked the game more than acid and WANTED to finish to see the end.
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

[QUOTE="tarzanell"]Not sure myself....I gave up due to the poor controls. I honestly have no idea how this game scored so highly.warmaster670

for sure. The game is amazing. The whole comrade job system is genius. And how you can take your comrades online.
tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tarzanell

[QUOTE="tarzanell"]Not sure myself....I gave up due to the poor controls. I honestly have no idea how this game scored so highly.warmaster670

OOO burn, you sure put me in my place there!!!!1!!one!!1! Part of game development is making a game accessible. Or do you not understand why certain awesome, yet hard-as-nails / poorly controlled games sell poorly? I feel that PO is no exception.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Peacewalker is definitely fine tuned and a much better game. It shows just from the demo alone. Portable Ops was made so early during the PSP's life that you can tell the developers had trouble making the game work on a system with no 2nd analog. Kojima fixed all the problems with Peacewalker. I'm still amazed at how smoothly Peacewalker plays.
coochie_kuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 coochie_kuta
Member since 2003 • 660 Posts
Peacewalker is definitely fine tuned and a much better game. It shows just from the demo alone. Portable Ops was made so early during the PSP's life that you can tell the developers had trouble making the game work on a system with no 2nd analog. Kojima fixed all the problems with Peacewalker. I'm still amazed at how smoothly Peacewalker plays. ASK_Story
yeah im retarded cause the demo plays just like portable ops, which is fine by me. i hate ops+ i purchased it thinking it was an actual game.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

I actually hated it and I always wondered... why was it rated M?

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="tarzanell"]Not sure myself....I gave up due to the poor controls. I honestly have no idea how this game scored so highly.tarzanell

OOO burn, you sure put me in my place there!!!!1!!one!!1! Part of game development is making a game accessible. Or do you not understand why certain awesome, yet hard-as-nails / poorly controlled games sell poorly? I feel that PO is no exception.

The games plenty accesible, but i guess you prefer that every game noobed up so nobody actually has to do anything.

I feel bad for you if you ever played a NES.

pmurph13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pmurph13

[QUOTE="tarzanell"][QUOTE="warmaster670"]

warmaster670

The games plenty accesible, but i guess you prefer that every game noobed up so nobody actually has to do anything.

quit arguing, your making the point that games should be hard, he's making the point games should be hard but shouldent have ridiculous control schemes/camera controls. i agree with him though , the controls are a monkey on the games back and i just cant even bring myself to play it, despite wanting to further the story. and before you say its too hard for me ,one of my favourite games of all time is super contra 3/Super C , which is pretty hard at least, considerably harder than portable ops.

EDIT: LOL at your sig

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#14 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Metal Gear Solid is one of my favorite series and this was one of the first games I picked up when I got a PSP. I quit when I got to the first boss, the controls are awful. I liked the comrade system though.
tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tarzanell

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="tarzanell"] OOO burn, you sure put me in my place there!!!!1!!one!!1! Part of game development is making a game accessible. Or do you not understand why certain awesome, yet hard-as-nails / poorly controlled games sell poorly? I feel that PO is no exception.pmurph13

quit arguing, your making the point that games should be hard, he's making the point games should be hard but shouldent have ridiculous control schemes/camera controls. i agree with him though , the controls are a monkey on the games back and i just cant even bring myself to play it, despite wanting to further the story. and before you say its too hard for me ,one of my favourite games of all time is super contra 3/Super C , which is pretty hard at least, considerably harder than portable ops.

Exactly. Two of my favourite games this gen are Prinny and Contra 4, and both are arguably also the hardest. But the controls are tight and simple on these, which is mainly why I found PO so hard to get into. It's a shame, but I'm looking forward to Peace Walker, I hear it's been turned around in a big way.
pmurph13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pmurph13
[QUOTE="pmurph13"]

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]The games plenty accesible, but i guess you prefer that every game noobed up so nobody actually has to do anything.

tarzanell

oh yeah man definetly,i played the PW demo and got A's for every mission first time, really really rewarding game, i just sort of wish they would abandon the over the shoulder thing when on psp and go back to a more traditional MGS1/2/3 camera as opposed to say subsistance, would work out so much better on the psp without the second analog. Exactly. Two of my favourite games this gen are Prinny and Contra 4, and both are arguably also the hardest. But the controls are tight and simple on these, which is mainly why I found PO so hard to get into. It's a shame, but I'm looking forward to Peace Walker, I hear it's been turned around in a big way.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

^ This pretty much. MGS: PO was a pretty good title IMO