Peter Dinklage in Destiny. His performance is AWFUL

Avatar image for REforever101
#1 Posted by REforever101 (11224 posts) -

Am I the only one who finds peter dinklage's performance to be god awful? he sounds completely like he has no interest in being there. i swear to god when he gives that line "oh no, its the swarm!" he sounds like he viewed the whole thing as some huge joke. his terrible delivery really kills the mood of the game.

as someone who quite likes everything else the guy has done, he seriously phoned this one in. either that or voice acting is a lot harder/different or something. And given how much he probably cost to hire I doubt the full version will have much improved dialog

and on the whole i'm pretty disappointed. halo's style of action is a whole lot less fun in a campaign mode thats really grind heavy. its basically borderlands with none of the charm. though the shooting is much better

visually the game blows too, but that could just be because this is an early build of the game? the jaggies and poor environment textures make the game kind of unpleasant to look at after a while and it gives me a headache. I could also just be spoiled, being a pc gamer first and foremost

Avatar image for yixingtpot
#2 Posted by yixingtpot (1484 posts) -

I hate the little bastard in general... I want to drop kick him into the Grand Canyon.

Avatar image for Bigboi500
#3 Posted by Bigboi500 (35302 posts) -

It's not that bad. You have to put it in context... he's not speaking as a human.

Avatar image for AJC3317
#4 Posted by AJC3317 (2539 posts) -

yeah it's pretty bad

Avatar image for Sun-Tzu-GE
#5 Edited by Sun-Tzu-GE (89 posts) -

I think I agree with Bigboi500. Robots don't usually have much emotion.But it's still strange they chose a big name actor to do an emotionless voice when a less talented actor could have done just as good of a job on a role like this.They clearly only hired him for his big name.

Avatar image for blueboxdoctor
#6 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2537 posts) -

Is he the robot voice that tells you what to do and where to go and talks to you during missions? If so, yeah, there's been some not so great dialogue, definitely not on the same level as Cortana.

Avatar image for REforever101
#7 Posted by REforever101 (11224 posts) -

i think even as a robot his performance is bad

Avatar image for equanox214
#8 Posted by equanox214 (156 posts) -

I thought the game looked amazing, i mean the textures on the rusted pipes and walls crumbling had me just staring. I dont think its fair to complain about graphics in the damn alpha state though

Avatar image for REforever101
#9 Posted by REforever101 (11224 posts) -

@equanox214: the game comes out in September. this is no alpha. alpha is when the game doesn't even have full textures and only kind of works. hell, the beta might as well just be called a demo, you can't change anything in that limited time frame. also you clearly don't play pc games on high settings. this looks closer to something you'd see in 2011

Avatar image for LoG-Sacrament
#10 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i think he's okay. the point of the character seems to be that he's a robot (duh) and that he's distanced himself from the situation. with that said, it's not exactly an ambitious angle for bungie to give an AI and they probably could have hired mostly anybody. i suppose the benefit that dinklage brings is that he's a big name so that he won't be thinking "oh, man. this is my big break so i really have to make sure everybody notices me!" and oversell the part. i'm sure he doesn't really care if people don't know him for destiny :P

Avatar image for cyloninside
#11 Posted by cyloninside (815 posts) -

i agree... his performance is very flat.

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#12 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

He's not suppose to have emotions, he's a damn robot. He's only suppose to give you information like Jarvis just without the humor

Avatar image for cyloninside
#13 Posted by cyloninside (815 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

He's not suppose to have emotions, he's a damn robot. He's only suppose to give you information like Jarvis just without the humor

thats funny, because he clearly does show emotion in several of his comments.... so that is not the case at all.

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#14 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

He's not suppose to have emotions, he's a damn robot. He's only suppose to give you information like Jarvis just without the humor

thats funny, because he clearly does show emotion in several of his comments.... so that is not the case at all.

I know, but he's a robot in this game. If people expect Tyrion kind of emotion, then they're stupid

Avatar image for JohnF111
#15 Edited by JohnF111 (14167 posts) -

I SERIOUSLY don't understand why having a high profile actor is a bonus in a voice acting role. Get professional voice actors who sound interested and cost less instead of this stupid "Which names will people recognise" nonsense.

Avatar image for MethodManFTW
#16 Posted by MethodManFTW (26477 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@cyloninside said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

He's not suppose to have emotions, he's a damn robot. He's only suppose to give you information like Jarvis just without the humor

thats funny, because he clearly does show emotion in several of his comments.... so that is not the case at all.

I know, but he's a robot in this game. If people expect Tyrion kind of emotion, then they're stupid

He's a robot from the future. Of course people aren't expecting to just to do the Tyrion voice. But he sounds so put off and disinterested. If isn't like Bungie could explain robots with some personality in the fiction of a video game that takes place in the future. I don't think Dinklage is terrible from what I have seen, but I definitely wouldn't call him good.

Avatar image for MethodManFTW
#17 Posted by MethodManFTW (26477 posts) -

@REforever101 said:

@equanox214: the game comes out in September. this is no alpha. alpha is when the game doesn't even have full textures and only kind of works. hell, the beta might as well just be called a demo, you can't change anything in that limited time frame. also you clearly don't play pc games on high settings. this looks closer to something you'd see in 2011

This is not system wars so leave the comparison stuff out of this thread.

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#18 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@MethodManFTW: I think he has done an adequite job from what i've seen

Avatar image for yokofox33
#19 Edited by yokofox33 (30767 posts) -

He could do shit for the rest of his life, and Peter Dinklage would still be the greatest human who ever lived. He's the fucking imp for fucks sake. The God of Tits and Wine!!!!!

Avatar image for spike6958
#20 Posted by spike6958 (5879 posts) -
@yokofox33 said:

He could do shit for the rest of his life, and Peter Dinklage would still be the greatest human who ever lived. He's the fucking imp for fucks sake. The God of Tits and Wine!!!!!

Agreed. Yeah, it's not his best role, but it serves it's purpose, and he's still awesome.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#21 Posted by uninspiredcup (18521 posts) -

@yixingtpot said:

I hate the little bastard in general... I want to drop kick him into the Grand Canyon.

I lol'd.

Avatar image for infinitevulcan
#22 Posted by InfiniteVulcan (25 posts) -

I really don't get why so many folks dislike his performance. The tone of his voice is rich, and he's obviously been instructed to play it flat, with occasional moments of levity, and I think he does great.

Avatar image for silversix_
#23 Posted by silversix_ (21749 posts) -

$500 mil budget cuz of guys like him and his voice over is worst than a random guy from McDonalds.

Avatar image for equanox214
#24 Posted by equanox214 (156 posts) -

@REforever101: *rolls eyes* I have in fact I'll pm you a picture of my pc if you want