Patch wasnt so good? (Skyrim)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

foxxfur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 foxxfur
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
So I believe the patch was out for Skyrim for a week now was it? Now I'm not trying to complain, the game is playing noticeably better than what it was..but now it seems those same game stopping horrible slowdown occurs and it's still freezes at times too. I don't mind little glitches that don't affect gameplay much..but when the game slows down to a stuttering crawl taht resembles a photo slideshow presentation...Do you think they will come out with more patches as well? i really hope that they can get this game to run properly..like oblivion did..or should i buy it on the 360 instead? is it better on that one?
damojeebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 damojeebs
Member since 2010 • 179 Posts

mate the patch has totally ruined skyrim for me,it was stuffed before the patch and now after the patch my ps3 freezes constantly.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

i highly doubt the exact same game would be any different on a different console. and some of the glitches they tryed to fix ended up giving us a faster way to do them (like the oghma infinium glitch). also, the patch messed up my copy of skyrim a little bit too because i was playing skyrim the other day and the game froze 3 times in 1 day (and it normally never freezes)

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

wow really, this sounds ridiculous to me. i guess im gonna wait out some more on skyrim

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
Check official forums, people are mad and for a good reason. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU7XS__ElRU
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

A 93/100 Metacritic average on the PS3. And they wonder why I don't read reviews ;)

foxxfur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 foxxfur

A 93/100 Metacritic average on the PS3. And they wonder why I don't read reviews ;)

Jackc8
well the game itself is amazing..if one can ever play it in it's full glory.
WeempWomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WeempWomp
Member since 2011 • 59 Posts

Haha...glad I bought Skyrim on the Xbox 360. No freeze-ups, but there are glitches. Hilarious, mammoth floating glitches.

jehuty68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jehuty68
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
My copy works just fine. I've had no problems with the game.
firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4388 Posts
patches some times mess up the game on different ps3. one patch for bullet storm broke the control for the game. till they took it down and did another one
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

the patch is the least of the problem when Skyrim on PS3 is overall a royal mess ANYWAY. i seriously suggest skipping it and save your money for other better alternatives, or at least get it on other platforms if you're really hell-bent on playing.

lm-born2die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lm-born2die
i notice that it only lags after a few hours, i think it might have to do with the fact that the ps3 overheats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

i notice that it only lags after a few hours, i think it might have to do with the fact that the ps3 overheatslm-born2die

its not the ps3, its the game. i've played other games for the same amount of hours or more and they never lagged

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

a

"Patches? We don't need no stinkin' patches."

fer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fer-
Member since 2010 • 318 Posts
its demoralizing...I just bought a ps3 and the war in the north game...was _awesome_ until I ran into game breaking, progression halting issues that Snowblind say they are working on now on their forums... so I got skyrim and its utterly busted on ps3 after this last patch...only 20 hours in or so and it locks up going in and out of houses, etc...reboot ps3 bad....which bethesda say they are working on so I got red dead redemption which is the only saving grace on ps3 and making me feel like I didn't waste my money, great game and it seems to actually *gasp* work! thinking about getting dark souls as well as I hear good things about that w/o completely broken, progression halting issues
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

[QUOTE="lm-born2die"]i notice that it only lags after a few hours, i think it might have to do with the fact that the ps3 overheatsbarry000

its not the ps3, its the game. i've played other games for the same amount of hours or more and they never lagged

It's with the game cache memory. Reboot your game after a few hours of play to refresh the system. It has nothing to do with the temp of your console.

CBottom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CBottom7
Member since 2009 • 822 Posts

[QUOTE="barry000"]

[QUOTE="lm-born2die"]i notice that it only lags after a few hours, i think it might have to do with the fact that the ps3 overheatsMonkeySpot

It's with the game cache memory. Reboot your game after a few hours of play to refresh the system. It has nothing to do with the temp of your console.

This is good. I hate the fact is AUTO SAVES 4 files, so I play for 2 or 3hours, then save it manually and go back and delete the other AUTO save files.

whiteLion64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 whiteLion64
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

this is my toughts.the save game files that become more higher and higher,they corupt the data drive.solution,restore your corupted hard drive on your ps3 with the 2 bibs start up.delete the utility game file(not your game save files),reinstall the game and the patch and maybe this will remove the bad lag issues.

if in the first case the game freeze a couple of time let go,the patch 1.02 or the last sony firmware will solve this automaticly

SamuRai_JeDi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 SamuRai_JeDi
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts
Buy Dark Souls.
TrueProphecy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TrueProphecy22
Member since 2005 • 1757 Posts

Well, I played for four hours a couple days after the patch hit with no real problems. I had some hiccups in frame rate from time to time, but that was about it.

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

I'm getting Skyrim for Christmas and am left wondering whether it is worth not playing it until there is a new patch released, or simly to play the game without updating it at all, as seems like the updates have only increased the problems

LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 LeifLongbottom
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

I'm getting Skyrim for Christmas and am left wondering whether it is worth not playing it until there is a new patch released, or simly to play the game without updating it at all, as seems like the updates have only increased the problems

OmenUK

The real problem is that some are saying that Bethesda will NEVER be able to get the game running (without freezing) on the PS3:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114550-Fallout-New-Vegas-Dev-weighs-in-on-Skyrims-PS3-Lag-Issues

If that's really the case (and having played other Bethesda games on the ps3, it's not hard to believe), they're legally obligated to recall this broken product.

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OmenUK

[QUOTE="OmenUK"]

LeifLongbottom

The real problem is that some are saying that Bethesda will NEVER be able to get the game running (without freezing) on the PS3:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114550-Fallout-New-Vegas-Dev-weighs-in-on-Skyrims-PS3-Lag-Issues

If that's really the case (and having played other Bethesda games on the ps3, it's not hard to believe), they're legally obligated to recall this broken product.

Yeah but New Vegas wasn't developed by Bethesda but by Obsidian and yet seemed to have more problems than FO3 had, so unsure how anyone from the Dev team can comment.

As for recalling the game, Bethesda could be deep in the brown stuff if PS3 users decide to send back games as broken, but a recall would be as equally bad publicity wiseso seems like they are in a no-win situation unless they can comeout with a patch thet solves someof the problems with the game (the priority being the huge safe file size).

--Rob--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 --Rob--
Member since 2009 • 376 Posts
[QUOTE="fer-"] thinking about getting dark souls as well as I hear good things about that w/o completely broken, progression halting issues

Great game, but fair warning to avoid further frustration..... the multiplayer is a horrific, huge step backwards from Demons Souls (don't know if you've played that before). If Dark Souls MP is an interest of yours, read up on it before purchase. This Skyrim nonsense is beyond amazing. Aside from the frustrations already mentioned, what annoys me is the lack of integrity by GAMESPOT. I have noticed about 5 different articles on the awesomeness of Skyrim, or "guides to x" on the main page of this site in the last couple weeks, and not ONE single article on the known fact that this game is flat out broken.
OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OmenUK

[QUOTE="fer-"] thinking about getting dark souls as well as I hear good things about that w/o completely broken, progression halting issues--Rob--
Great game, but fair warning to avoid further frustration..... the multiplayer is a horrific, huge step backwards from Demons Souls (don't know if you've played that before). If Dark Souls MP is an interest of yours, read up on it before purchase. This Skyrim nonsense is beyond amazing. Aside from the frustrations already mentioned, what annoys me is the lack of integrity by GAMESPOT. I have noticed about 5 different articles on the awesomeness of Skyrim, or "guides to x" on the main page of this site in the last couple weeks, and not ONE single article on the known fact that this game is flat out broken.

The problem is it is only broke on PS3, which I guess is why there is no review up for the PS3 version of the game yet, that and no doubt the bundles of cash Gamespot have gotten from advertising Skyrim on the front page of the site has helped towards overly preferrable reviews and articles.

Doddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Doddie
Member since 2003 • 51 Posts
What's happening with gamesquality lately. They all need patches. Last year there were very few game patches now it seems every game has one. Does PS3 not have enough memory for them. Is this because of PS4 about to be released?
IAMTHEVIPQUEEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 IAMTHEVIPQUEEN
Member since 2009 • 723 Posts

I really feel the whole issue is blown out of proportion on the PS3. I own both the PS3 and the 360 version. And guess what.....my copy freezes quite frequently on the my 360 slim. On the PS3, it is a matter of waiting for the autosave to complete (after you travel, or rest, etc) and then proceed - or simply diable the autosave feature.

Don't get me wrong, there are problems, but it's not singled out to the PS3 only, nor is it as bad as some people make it out to be. Sorry but I'm being really honest and very unbiased about this whole dilemma which seems to be taking over the gaming sites in an exagerated way.

LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LeifLongbottom

[QUOTE="LeifLongbottom"]

[QUOTE="OmenUK"]

OmenUK

Yeah but New Vegas wasn't developed by Bethesda but by Obsidian and yet seemed to have more problems than FO3 had, so unsure how anyone from the Dev team can comment.

As for recalling the game, Bethesda could be deep in the brown stuff if PS3 users decide to send back games as broken, but a recall would be as equally bad publicity wiseso seems like they are in a no-win situation unless they can comeout with a patch thet solves someof the problems with the game (the priority being the huge safe file size).

I think the reason people are listening to him is because he's not just some PR bozo. He's someone who actually worked with the previous version of the engine and what he's said technically makes sense. The game seems to have the same problems and people are suggesting the same solutions. I think that people are listening to him BECAUSE Vegas had so many of the same problems.

Also: New Vegas was patched by Bethesda & they made all the DLC...so they have their blame to take for that travesty and the state it was left in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

What's happening with gamesquality lately. They all need patches. Last year there were very few game patches now it seems every game has one. Does PS3 not have enough memory for them. Is this because of PS4 about to be released?Doddie

the ps4 isn't "about to be released". the ps4 isn't even confirmed as in development. sony has said several times that 1. the release of the wii-u does NOT effect the release of the ps4 (meaning the ps4 won't release any sooner because of the wii-u releasing in 2012) and 2. the ps4 won't come out for a hand full of years. i don't know where you people are getting your ps4 info from but if you aren't getting it from sony then its wrong

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OmenUK

[QUOTE="OmenUK"]

[QUOTE="LeifLongbottom"]

LeifLongbottom

I think the reason people are listening to him is because he's not just some PR bozo. He's someone who actually worked with the previous version of the engine and what he's said technically makes sense. The game seems to have the same problems and people are suggesting the same solutions. I think that people are listening to him BECAUSE Vegas had so many of the same problems.

Also: New Vegas was patched by Bethesda & they made all the DLC...so they have their blame to take for that travesty and the state it was left in.

Oh right, I never got any of the DLC, I'd kind pissed everyone off except the kings and the people in the start area so when i go back to it am looking at pretty much having to restart from the beginning lol.

LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LeifLongbottom

[QUOTE="LeifLongbottom"]

[QUOTE="OmenUK"]

OmenUK

Oh right, I never got any of the DLC, I'd kind pissed everyone off except the kings and the people in the start area so when i go back to it am looking at pretty much having to restart from the beginning lol.

It basically had the same problem the Fallout 3 dlc had: if you tried installing all of it, the game would crash even more often and have horrible lag.

I never got any of the dlc either (I pretty much lent the game out to friends after getting frustrated with how broken it was) but a friend of mine did. By the last one, his game was a slideshow.

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OmenUK

[QUOTE="OmenUK"]

[QUOTE="LeifLongbottom"]

LeifLongbottom

It basically had the same problem the Fallout 3 dlc had: if you tried installing all of it, the game would crash even more often and have horrible lag.

I never got any of the dlc either (I pretty much lent the game out to friends after getting frustrated with how broken it was) but a friend of mine did. By the last one, his game was a slideshow.

I actually found a way around the bugs in Fallout 3, what I did was I had the original Fallout 3 which I was playing, and decided that because it was cheap enough I'd buy the Game Of The Year edition rather than buy all the additional downloadable content seperately. When it came I played from the GOTY Edition of the game, my original (vanilla) FO3 installed and apparently no additional installation. It seems to have sorted out a few of the bugs although granted, not all of them.

LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LeifLongbottom

Interesting. I guess some of the patches did more harm then good...if that's even the case there.

We'll have to wait another month or so to see if that works with Vegas too.

Personally, if I do eventually get Vegas GOTY, I'll be getting it for the PC. I'm getting pretty sick of all the crappy ps3 ports.

In fact, between the crappy ports and a $10 pass being attached to every Sony game, I hardly buy anything on the ps3 anymore.

Sony really has to get their crap together and put their food down regarding these crappy ports or the PS4 is going to be DOA. They've already convinced me to not buy it.

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OmenUK

I'm kind of screwed as my PC is not very good for playing much more than WOW and Runescape to begin with and has had a few problems recently which makes gaming difficult.

If I had the option there are a few games I've bought on the PS3 that I'd rather of played on a PC, that is not to say I am unhappy with my console just that recently I am seeing more and more games where the coding for the PC is absolutely brilliant, in some cases looking flawless, but then when ported to console it loses a little quality on X-Box, and significant quality on PS3.

Not sure it can all be blamed on the console, but more the difficulty developers have in using the PS3 coding and kit to port games over, and occassionally the laziness of developers to port the games over properly.

LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LeifLongbottom

I'm kind of screwed as my PC is not very good for playing much more than WOW and Runescape to begin with and has had a few problems recently which makes gaming difficult.

If I had the option there are a few games I've bought on the PS3 that I'd rather of played on a PC, that is not to say I am unhappy with my console just that recently I am seeing more and more games where the coding for the PC is absolutely brilliant, in some cases looking flawless, but then when ported to console it loses a little quality on X-Box, and significant quality on PS3.

Not sure it can all be blamed on the console, but more the difficulty developers have in using the PS3 coding and kit to port games over, and occassionally the laziness of developers to port the games over properly.

OmenUK

With the crap we've had to put up with this generation, there's enough blame to go around.

However, Sony has really taken little interest in the support of the PS3. Besides the useless firmware updates (and 4.0 is just the latest travesty) they really have demanded very little from the devs and they obviously don't have any standards. It seems like the only thing that Sony has required of 3rd parties is that they include Trophies: one of the most pointless inventions of game history. They should require that the game look and play just as well on the ps3 as it does on the 360 and it seems like they should have a team to regulate that.

And what ever happened to competitive negotiations. Why can't there be standards across consoles or even a standard format so devs don't have to make crappy ports. Sure the devs & pubs deserve some of the blame but the platform developers this generation have really dropped the ball when it comes to standards.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
stop complaining people.. simply just delete the patch data and play vanilla... its still buggy but much more playable.. and i have +9mb with over 60 hours save file.. also, shut off autosave or just wait till the autosave finishes before moving and every runs alot smoother..
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

[QUOTE="OmenUK"]

LeifLongbottom

Bethesda discredited him as he actually never worked on Bethesdas engine, and the issue he was claiming to be causing the lag was dealt with years ago..
LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LeifLongbottom

[QUOTE="LeifLongbottom"]

[QUOTE="OmenUK"]

PoisoN_Facecam0

Bethesda discredited him as he actually never worked on Bethesdas engine, and the issue he was claiming to be causing the lag was dealt with years ago..

Sorry but that's just so many kinds of incorrect. They didn't discredit him, they just got one of their PR d-bags to say he's wrong. I'm more likely to believe a programmer (even one) from Obsidian more than a PR rep from Bethesda on this matter...especially when that programmer worked with the engine that Bethesda's new engine was built off of...and had all these same issues with it. And frankly, the fact that this is more of a PR issue for Bethesda I think says a lot about where their priorities are.

And really, what's the big difference between the two engines. They both seem to work the same way and even have the same inherrent problems. What Sawyer said made a lot more sense than what PR Hines said.

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts

I really feel the whole issue is blown out of proportion on the PS3. I own both the PS3 and the 360 version. And guess what.....my copy freezes quite frequently on the my 360 slim. On the PS3, it is a matter of waiting for the autosave to complete (after you travel, or rest, etc) and then proceed - or simply diable the autosave feature.

Don't get me wrong, there are problems, but it's not singled out to the PS3 only, nor is it as bad as some people make it out to be. Sorry but I'm being really honest and very unbiased about this whole dilemma which seems to be taking over the gaming sites in an exagerated way.

IAMTHEVIPQUEEN
I have wondered about how the PS3 compares to the 360...thank you for mentioning this. Reading your comment has reassured me and I am again looking forward to playing this. Not sure if I will go back to Oblivion or not...but I don't intend to wait till I "finish it".
RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
[QUOTE="jordonj"] I have wondered about how the PS3 compares to the 360...thank you for mentioning this. Reading your comment has reassured me and I am again looking forward to playing this. Not sure if I will go back to Oblivion or not...but I don't intend to wait till I "finish it".

For what it's worth, i also have both versions, and the difference between them is Bayonetta big, if you know what I mean. PS3 gamers got shafted with a grossly inferior game. The PS3 version looks last gen compared directly to the other version. I assumed based on the quality of the port of Oblivion that Skyrim for PS3 would be just fine, but it's a mess. Uglier in general, and with the previously mentioned count down timer to unplayable lag. Both version have issues, but it's an objective fact that the PS3 version is simply not as good.
coldhelp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coldhelp
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts
[QUOTE="RandoIph"][QUOTE="jordonj"] I have wondered about how the PS3 compares to the 360...thank you for mentioning this. Reading your comment has reassured me and I am again looking forward to playing this. Not sure if I will go back to Oblivion or not...but I don't intend to wait till I "finish it".

For what it's worth, i also have both versions, and the difference between them is Bayonetta big, if you know what I mean. PS3 gamers got shafted with a grossly inferior game. The PS3 version looks last gen compared directly to the other version. I assumed based on the quality of the port of Oblivion that Skyrim for PS3 would be just fine, but it's a mess. Uglier in general, and with the previously mentioned count down timer to unplayable lag. Both version have issues, but it's an objective fact that the PS3 version is simply not as good.

From what I've seen I think you're exaggerating on the visual differences, or you haven't optimized your PS3 settings for the best display (for a better picture turn on full RGB and super white). The Xbox 360 version seems slightly more "jagged" in screenshots as it lacks the amount of AA the PS3 version has, and some may prefer that more jagged look, although on a TV screen the differences are not usually discernible. As for the performance differences, I've heard that both versions can get hit with the lag, but the PS3 version tends to get hit with it first.
sammz0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sammz0r
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts
I'm really tempted to get my hands on Skyrim, but with recent money issues I couldn't (AKA BF3 and MW3 left me broke as **** and since everyone is **** about how much it freezes etc, I'll wait until a proper patch is released before getting it.
csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

My roommate hasnt been having alot of issues with Skyrim after the patch...it fixed a glitched dragon (had spasdic movements) which is great! The only issue I remember was the game froze once while loading. I have Skyrim on PC and it used to crash on me because the game ran on 2GB of ram...fixed it with a Skyrim4GBlauncher program (hooray!)

in2the_void420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 in2the_void420
i bought breezehome in whiterun and in the room with the alchemy lab, i cant get 2 any of my books on the bookshelf (with the chest on top)i put a book in their that i need 2figure out a puzzle and when i go over it it says activate bookshelf but when i press either shelf nothing happens the top shelf is full but the bottom shelf had 3 more spaces does ne1 know if there is nething i can do or wuts wrong or am i just screwed. i know i can just cheat and look online but theirs also some books that r worth some money(i was saving them 4when i needed the money) if ne1 knows please help me out!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

i bought breezehome in whiterun and in the room with the alchemy lab, i cant get 2 any of my books on the bookshelf (with the chest on top)i put a book in their that i need 2figure out a puzzle and when i go over it it says activate bookshelf but when i press either shelf nothing happens the top shelf is full but the bottom shelf had 3 more spaces does ne1 know if there is nething i can do or wuts wrong or am i just screwed. i know i can just cheat and look online but theirs also some books that r worth some money(i was saving them 4when i needed the money) if ne1 knows please help me out!in2the_void420

the last patch that came out for skyrim disabled the use of bookshelves for some reason so if you don't have a save from before you put that book on the bookshelf then you are out of luck unless you completely restart skyrim from the beginning

whiteLion64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 whiteLion64
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

*sigh*,well you know...;the the devs on bethesda for patching skyrim most use the cpu cuz the memory and the hard drive speed of ps3(even the slim) are not fast enough.

it's a hardware issue too...