Patch 3.90 adds region lock!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
So i just dowloaded the latest firmware for my PAL PSP and since then i have been unable to to play the GoW demo.

I made certain that the parental lock is turned off and it does not happen with any of the demos that i downloaded from the UK PSN store (wich obviously would be PAL IF they have any form of region coding)

The message that gets displayed is: "This content can not be accesed on your acount"
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hot114
Anyone have a idea whats going on? I know only a small fraction still use the original firmware but still...
Chuuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Chuuster
Member since 2008 • 133 Posts
I hope not, having a region lock wouldn't benefit Sony at all, and would suck for tons of PSP users
DiabeticDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#6 DiabeticDood
Member since 2005 • 4331 Posts
I had heard that GoW was having troubles playing on UK PSP's. I don't know if this is for certain though. It also could have been another demo. I would e-mail Sony or call them.
SadAngelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 SadAngelman
Member since 2005 • 379 Posts
So i just dowloaded the latest firmware for my PAL PSP and since then i have been unable to to play the GoW demo.

I made certain that the parental lock is turned off and it does not happen with any of the demos that i downloaded from the UK PSN store (wich obviously would be PAL IF they have any form of region coding)

The message that gets displayed is: "This content can not be accesed on your acount"hot114
Well i just updated with the latest firmware & im getting the same problem as well with both my god of war & patapon U.S PSN store demos. Also all my other demos downloaded via the New Zealand PSN store work just fine. New Zealand comes under Sonys europe branch so i would assume that New Zealand gets its PSN store content from europe?
s84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 s84
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts

Hmm.. that's funny, I've got the same problem but I'm using a Taiwanese PSP with the newest asian firmware. The weird thing is that all the North American demos work, but the Wipeout Pulse demo from the UK PSN store dosen't.... :(

Boohoo! :(

braindead_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 braindead_hero
Member since 2004 • 1174 Posts

Hmmm, why does this only seem to be affecting Europeans (and New Zealanders/Australians as they come under Europe in terms of gaming) sometimes I think these executives get together and say

"right, what were going to do this week is screw over Europe"

"didn't we do that last week?"

"yeah it was so much fun I thought we'd do it again"

Maybe all Europeans should rise up and have a gaming revolution and overthrow the EA overlords and Storm SCEEs headquarters and demand Phil Harrison come back to SCEE and get it all sorted

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hot114
Just comfirmed this was an intended change by the sony servicedesk.

Just glad that this time it only affects PSN titles. Next time it might stop import PSP titles like "Tales of eternia" wich was only released in *** and PAL
Shawtymann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Shawtymann
Member since 2006 • 2561 Posts
i live in the US and i bought a game of the US store and i get that message. it also happened when i downloaded the Patapon demo.
s84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 s84
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
Does anyone know if this problem is only effected for downloaded content, and not UMD games? I need to know because it would suck, since all games sold in Taiwan are imported from around the world.
djlofti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 djlofti
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts

Does anyone know if this problem is only effected for downloaded content, and not UMD games? I need to know because it would suck, since all games sold in Taiwan are imported from around the world.s84

It's only seems to affect the downloaded content altough I had this problem even before the firmware update. In terms of UMD games everything is still the same.... :)

g4merkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 g4merkid
Member since 2008 • 134 Posts
The only cool thing about Sony's prodcuts are that normally, they are not region locked.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hot114
The only cool thing about Sony's prodcuts this gen is that normally, they are not region locked.g4merkid

Have to agree it was certainly a great bonus.
xisytenin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xisytenin
Member since 2008 • 407 Posts
Thats dumb, why would they do that
Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jodan77
Member since 2005 • 2567 Posts

It can and will probably be linked to piracy and the homebrew scene.

IppotheFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IppotheFighter
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts
pirates are to blame.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hot114
pirates are to blame.IppotheFighter

How so? A pirate obviously would not downgrade themselves by switching back to official firmware and the pirate version of 3.9 will most probably have the region lock removed

This only hurts the regular consumer who have to switch to illegal methods to get rid of the region lock wich they should have been warned about in advance.
Cash_Kevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cash_Kevz
Member since 2003 • 85 Posts
Thank god I readed this before updating.
zintarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 zintarr
Member since 2004 • 2212 Posts
Sony strikes again!
TheRocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheRocha
Member since 2007 • 769 Posts
i can't download the new patch and now i can't play patapon...i have the game almost two days now and have to wait until monday to see what the sony helpline guys will tell me. the game stalls in the first loading screen. has anyone else had problems installing the patch. i even tried to reboot the console...but to no avail. i appretiate any help i can get
kalkhaja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#23 kalkhaja
Member since 2005 • 1122 Posts
this isnt true, i have 3.90 and an EU PSP and ordered GoW from the US and it works fine....
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hot114
this isnt true, i have 3.90 and an EU PSP and ordered GoW from the US and it works fine....kalkhaja

This topic is about PSN titles, you might want to try reading a topic prior to posting :)
colonel_beeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 colonel_beeb
Member since 2006 • 2020 Posts
Does the japanese echochrome demo work on 3.90?
darkPSPfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 darkPSPfan
Member since 2007 • 4934 Posts

Hmmm, why does this only seem to be affecting Europeans (and New Zealanders/Australians as they come under Europe in terms of gaming) sometimes I think these executives get together and say

"right, what were going to do this week is screw over Europe"

"didn't we do that last week?"

"yeah it was so much fun I thought we'd do it again"

Maybe all Europeans should rise up and have a gaming revolution and overthrow the EA overlords and Storm SCEEs headquarters and demand Phil Harrison come back to SCEE and get it all sorted

braindead_hero
viva la revolucion ! :P
LanDC77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 LanDC77
Member since 2005 • 1415 Posts
Why is it PSN titles only, and they better not do it to the umd's.
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#28 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9177 Posts
I thought 3.90 was to inprove the Internet Radio for PSP>
kalkhaja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#29 kalkhaja
Member since 2005 • 1122 Posts
[QUOTE="kalkhaja"]this isnt true, i have 3.90 and an EU PSP and ordered GoW from the US and it works fine....hot114

This topic is about PSN titles, you might want to try reading a topic prior to posting :)

no one specifically said that, i suggest you read the NAME of the topic....fine the tc mentions GoW demo, but still, region lock implies that it applies to UMDs as well, it was not specified...
dosu178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#30 dosu178
Member since 2006 • 440 Posts
I imported a PSP game and I have 3.90 and I can still play it
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts
im not sure if there is a region lock cuz i have the new update 3.93 and a pal psp but all of the demo's r working fine i downloaded the demo's from the US store
Avatar image for deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
deactivated-60a18c108ffa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
Member since 2008 • 7541 Posts
AAAHHH! WTF? This topic is making my head spin. This sucks big time...!...
Aaron2190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Aaron2190
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

It has a little more than region lock.

My roommate downloaded Crash Bandicoot: Warped and SotN from the PSN on his account. Since it saves it on both accounts I figured I'd put them on my PSP. You can't play the game unless you have your PSP activated, then after that it came up with the "account" problem.

Maybe Sony is targeting people who don't want to pay for something twice?

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
hasnt happened to me. Ive been playing the Japanese demos with no issue on my US PSP.
Vaglar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vaglar
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Hi guys

I think I have an idea of where is message comes from. That happens because you have downloaded contents from a different PSN website. Let me explain this with an example. Say you downloaded a demo from the US website with your US account. If you try to download a Japanese demo from the JP PSN website, you'll have to make a new account, then download Jp contents onto your PSP. This is where the certificate enabling you to play US content will stop working (for now). In short, it means your PSP has got a new certificate that will play all JP contents, but none others. If you want to play your US games again, you'll have to download some random stuff from the US website which will reactive your US certificate and at the same time cancel your Jp one. You do the trick the other way around to play back your JP content.

I have absolutely no idea why Sony is doing this because we should be able to get stuff from foreign websites as it is 100% legal. They don't even allow you to download contents from a foreign PSN website once you have created an account, so you have to make a new one if you want PAL or JP content which makes the certificate invalid.

Actually you guys you get a pop up warning message when you try to download "foreign" contents onto your PSP.