This topic is locked from further discussion.

stephenmarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 stephenmarx
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a PS3 when I get paid this month, my 360 has died and I'm sick of Microsoft tbh.

Anyway, can you recommend some older games that are must have, and that I'd be able to pick up fairly cheaply, as funds are going to be short after buying the PS3 itself.

It would also be great if anyone knew of any bundle deals (in the UK).

Cheers!

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I hope you enjoy your future purchase. For future reference, check out the recommendation thread.
RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
Well I know evrybody is probably going to tell you to get MGS4, but the MGS series in not for every one.
4nia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 4nia
Member since 2009 • 179 Posts

Uncharted 2 will have a platinum/greatest hits edition in 2weeks. Will be fairly cheap for a such a good game released last year and it's an exclusive aswell. All that if you can manage with an uglier box art.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

Uncharted 2 will have a platinum/greatest hits edition in 2weeks. Will be fairly cheap for a such a good game released last year and it's an exclusive aswell. All that if you can manage with an uglier box art.

4nia
Yeah I seriously recommand UNCHARTED 2
stephenmarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stephenmarx
Yeh Uncharted 2 looks amazing, my friend recommended that, good to know it's going down in price. I really cannot wait to play MGS4, I can't believe it's been out all these years and I still haven't played it yet!
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

There's a bundle with Uncharted 1 and ... Motorstorm 1 was it? Or was it Ratchet & Clank? Whatever, that seems to be a great deal although those games are very old.

stephenmarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 stephenmarx

There's a bundle with Uncharted 1 and ... Motorstorm 1 was it? Or was it Ratchet & Clank? Whatever, that seems to be a great deal although those games are very old.

Reptylus
Do you know which store is doing that deal?
andytisnt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 andytisnt
Member since 2009 • 163 Posts

hey man ummm EB games is have a major sale man most premeir games like GTAIV, uncharted 2 , assiasins creed 2 , boarderlands, fianal fantasy 13 and darkslider are all half price man u can pay 45-55 bucks for new games that are ussually 99-109 dollars man... id spend that extra 20 bucks and go for one of them.. to answer ur Q

ummm killzone2, assasins creed 1 even though i didnt find it deserved the 9 it got, oblivion, bioshock 1 when its on special gets pretty cheap, deadspace not to bad..

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts
Well I know evrybody is probably going to tell you to get MGS4, but the MGS series in not for every one.RTUUMM
agreed. my first ever game on my playstation slim this March was MGS4 and it never did a good impression of itself to me :(
Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts

4nia
really? can I have the link just to make sure? thank god I chose GOW 3 over it today :)
yuigx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yuigx1
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
gta iv is a must buy
Avatar image for solidsnake10123
solidsnake10123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 solidsnake10123
Member since 2008 • 396 Posts

mgs is a must uncharted 2 as well and saints row 2 is friken sweet killzone 2 if your in to fps games

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
It would also be great if anyone knew of any bundle deals (in the UK).stephenmarx
I got my PS3 a couple of weeks ago from Argos: 250GB Slim with Play TV, Uncharted and Resistance 2 for 264.99 Check out stores like Gamestation if you have any near you - they have quite a good selection of older PS3 titles (preowned) for a fiver each, so you can quickly build up your collection. As just like me you have only just decided to get a PS3, you can still enjoy the older games as if they were new, so you might as well try Uncharted 1 before 2, and by the time you've done that the cost of Uncharted 2 will have come down.
Avatar image for lovetheblindone
lovetheblindone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lovetheblindone
Member since 2005 • 1733 Posts

Well I know evrybody is probably going to tell you to get MGS4, but the MGS series in not for every one.RTUUMM

The same can be said for any game really.

Melpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 Melpoe
Member since 2009 • 3635 Posts

I 100% agree with this person, MGS4 is NOT for everyone. I feel MGS4 should only be played by Metal Gear fans and not by people just jumping right into the series with 4.

Thing is I feel bad for MGS4, there was so much hype for it and ofcourse with hype comes alot of new commers, who figures it's cool to just jump right into a games 2nd,3rd, or even 4ths installment with out even playing any previous installments, and how could anybody think that it would be a good idea to play MGS4, a game with a very long and complicated storyline, without playing MGS 1,2, and 3! and ofcourse to not know the story ling of Metal Gear 1 and 2.

kramer_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#17 kramer_inc
Member since 2008 • 1303 Posts

Congrats on buying a PS3 I have a 60 gig launch model and plan on buying a slim there are tons of great games if you look around you can find them cheap like on ebay.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

MGS4, motorstorm 1&2, killzone, resistance, little big planet, uncharted, heavenly sword. most of them are eexclusives :P

Sportsnut101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sportsnut101
Member since 2003 • 7538 Posts
inFamous should only run you about $30 and I'm currently playing through it for like the 4th time.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Get up on that Valkyria Chronicles. Should be 20 bucks at most places.

Diskdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Diskdrive
Member since 2009 • 94 Posts

Devil May Cry 4 and the PS3 version of God of War 1 + 2 are fun.

Don't forget to get Uncharted 1: Drake's Fortune. You should be able to find it in a bargin bin. I did :)

MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

killzone 1 and 2, gta 4, uncharted 1 and 2, lbp.

Nadoori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nadoori
Member since 2008 • 145 Posts
gta iv mgs4
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Uncharted 1 is what I would recommend most!

Other titles that are 30 and under now that are good are:

MGS4 - It is NOT for everyone though, and I highly recommend you play the first 3 (buy the essentials collection for PS2) though. I LOVE this game and it is phenomenal but as said before, not for everyone

God of War Collection - If you have not played the first two on the PS2 then I recommend checking these out.

Infamous - has its flaws and is a bit repetitive, but still an awesome game none the less. IMO it is worthy of a purchase and is a lot of fun while it lasts.

LittleBigPlanet - amazing game but the second one is coming out later in the year and will pretty much render LBP1 useless.

Killzone 2 - great if you dont mind a bit of a lame story (with a super annoying character or two) and its depressing feel. To me the games graphics and overall presentation are its strongest points. It just feels very BA.

Games that SOME would consider great (although I don't feel are quite as good as the above selection) are:

Resistance Fall of Man 0 I have hardly played it, but I did not like the demo. many people however love this game.

Resistance 2 - Never played it but it does sound better then R1.

Assassins Creed - Good game but very repetitive.

Assassins Creed 2 - I hear it is much better then the first. I might pick it up some time.

Ninja Gaiden - Not really my cup of tea (yes I just said cup of tea), but a lot of people really love it. I prefer God of War.

ratchet and Clank Future: ToD - played the demo and its good but a bit on the easy side.

Ratchet and Clank Future: ACiT - Played the demo as well as the first couple hours and its better then ToD but also too easy IMO.

Heavenly Sword - played the really short demo and seems like a good game but not even close to God of War, although some love it.

Valkyria Chronicles - Doesnt seem like my thing, but many say it is amazing.

Warhawk - good game, lacks polish, but is indeed fun enough if its your thing.

Demon's Souls - I would love to say this game is amazing, but I don't think it is, rather a very good game hindered by poor story and harsh difficulty. I think it is worthy of a purchase if you are looking for a 3d dungeon crawler that will make you super mad and has virtually no story.

Oblvion - Good game, nowhere near the hype it has though.

Fallout 3 - better then oblivion but I prefer oblivion due to its setting. Still nowhere near the hype it has IMO.

Eternal Sonata - Not amazing, but one of the better JRPG's this gen.

Disgaea 3 - I am not a big fan of strat RPG's but many people love this game.

grizzlybear1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 grizzlybear1
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

Theres loads mate I would recomend

Motorstorm

Resistance

Uncharted

Warhawk

Ratchet & Calnk : ToD

Killzone 2

MGS4

Thats just exclusives

JKG33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 JKG33
Member since 2006 • 656 Posts

Motorstorm 2

Killzone 2

LittleBigPlanet

Uncharted 1 & 2

Infamous

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Greatest_Hits_games#PlayStation_3

Click to the PS3 section you can see what games are greatest hits, this means if the games cost you anymore than $30 new you are getting ripped off. If your willing to spend 10 dollars more you can get relatively newer games like the new ratchet and clank, Demon's souls, Super Street Fighter 4, Bioshock 2, Dragon Age, Motorstorm Pacific Rift and so on. $40 isn't exactly cheap but it is better than $60. Heavy Rain, and God of War 3 have sold well too, so it is only a matter of time before they too go greatest hits. 3D dot game heroes is brand new but it is at the $40 mark as well. You can get quite a lot games between the $39-$40 range.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 Hizang
Member since 2009 • 2808 Posts

Here is a list of older games you should check.

1. Resistance: Fall of Man - A Launch title so can't get much older, it is very good both the single player and multiplayer, and yes people are still on it last time I checked.
  2. Motorstorm - Another launch tittle that is very good, its graphics and simply amazing and so are the courses. It is a bit like burnout in its crash fashion.
  3. Uncharted Drakes Fortune - Despite its age it still is one of the PS3's finiest games, great story and very good mixture of gunplay and tomb raider esc platforming.
  4. The Darkness - This game is dead cheap everywhere and is underated, sure the multiplayer is awfull but the single player is very good. It is a FPS with a twist, you have two dark tendrils sticking out of your shoulders...
  5. Heavenly Sword - If your looking for your hack and slas fix look no further, this series can easily match God of War in terms of gameplay but beats it when it comes to graphics, voice acting and story. May be quite short but well worth playing.
  6. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - This PS3 game I'd still reccomend if it was worth 100GBP! There is litterly that much to do, its a Firs Person RPG Advnture game, very good and one of the PS3's best. I have spent over 200 hours on just one playthrough!
  7. Little Big Planet - You cant have a PS3 without LBP, its a very cool game and seems to be the PS3's mascot, so I'd reccomend it. Plus its always updating with new content, check it out.
  8. Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction - If You have been folliwng the succsessfull RAC series this is a no brainer, its a old school platformer where you collect a bunch of boltsto buy and upgrade wepons to preogress into the ever funnier story, reccomend!
  9. GTAIV - Duh...
  10. MGS4 - Very cheap, very good, PS3's best game by far. It also comes with Metal Gear Online a solid online experince for the stealth fan.

zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zbdyx
Member since 2007 • 2055 Posts
Not that this belongs here, but why don't you just send in your 360 for free? On-Topic I would get Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank ToD, InFamous, Killzone 2, and a few cheap multiplats.
zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 zbdyx
Member since 2007 • 2055 Posts

Here is a list of older games you should check.

1. Resistance: Fall of Man - A Launch title so can't get much older, it is very good both the single player and multiplayer, and yes people are still on it last time I checked.
  2. Motorstorm - Another launch tittle that is very good, its graphics and simply amazing and so are the courses. It is a bit like burnout in its crash fashion.
  3. Uncharted Drakes Fortune - Despite its age it still is one of the PS3's finiest games, great story and very good mixture of gunplay and tomb raider esc platforming.
  4. The Darkness - This game is dead cheap everywhere and is underated, sure the multiplayer is awfull but the single player is very good. It is a FPS with a twist, you have two dark tendrils sticking out of your shoulders...
  5. Heavenly Sword - If your looking for your hack and slas fix look no further, this series can easily match God of War in terms of gameplay but beats it when it comes to graphics, voice acting and story. May be quite short but well worth playing.
  6. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - This PS3 game I'd still reccomend if it was worth 100GBP! There is litterly that much to do, its a Firs Person RPG Advnture game, very good and one of the PS3's best. I have spent over 200 hours on just one playthrough!
  7. Little Big Planet - You cant have a PS3 without LBP, its a very cool game and seems to be the PS3's mascot, so I'd reccomend it. Plus its always updating with new content, check it out.
  8. Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction - If You have been folliwng the succsessfull RAC series this is a no brainer, its a old school platformer where you collect a bunch of boltsto buy and upgrade wepons to preogress into the ever funnier story, reccomend!
  9. GTAIV - Duh...
  10. MGS4 - Very cheap, very good, PS3's best game by far. It also comes with Metal Gear Online a solid online experince for the stealth fan.

Hizang
Sorry for the double post, but Heavenly sword beats God of War in graphic??? Maybe aesthetically. but technically God of War is far superior. Heavenly Sword is also extremely short.
ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

DEMON'S SOULS

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points