New Tomb Raider rated M? Thoughts.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Okay so I read the GI article and they mentioned that they seem to be openly embracing an M rating. If I'm not mistaken that would make it the first Tomb Raider to be rated M. What are your thoughts on this topic?

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
That's one heck of a reboot to knock Tomb Raider into M categorization. I'm curious to see what they're doing to deserve it. It's kind of sad how far it's come from the original.
BoxingTheStars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BoxingTheStars
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts

I read that article a while back and I think the new Tomb Raider sounds amazing and I would love for it to have a M raiting, they could make the game much darker and more realalistc which would be a great direction for the series to go IMO

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
i'm 25 and can buy games regardless of their rating so it doesnt matter to me what rating it gets
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zidaneski

I read that article a while back and I think the new Tomb Raider sounds amazing and I would love for it to have a M raiting, they could make the game much darker and more realalistc which would be a great direction for the series to go IMO

BoxingTheStars

This seems to be what they're going for. A survival experience that makes Lara Croft believable and relateable. Having her get bloody and beat up is something I wouldn't mind but the article also mentions that if you die at some parts its going to be pretty brutal. For example, fail to get out of a collasping cave and it'll show Lara's head literally get crushed. Sounds a bit too dark to me. Or maybe it doesn't quite go that far.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I feel it's a good thing for the series. Until they can embrace the M rating, which they are doing now, they can't make a Tomb Raider game that has what it needs. I'm not saying all games should be M, but the Tomb Raider series needs something that it can't seem to have while sticking to the the T rating.

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

could be interesting

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zidaneski

I feel it's a good thing for the series. Until they can embrace the M rating, which they are doing now, they can't make a Tomb Raider game that has what it needs. I'm not saying all games should be M, but the Tomb Raider series needs something that it can't seem to have while sticking to the the T rating.

Phoenix534

What is that something? Playing the pass games I did feel that the traps were not really THAT scary. However, blood and seeing Lara die were still present in past games. Is seeing Lara get cleaved in 2 suppose to immerse me more in the experience?

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

I'd just might buy it.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I think it would be awesome if used properly, like said above, when her head gets brutally crushed. That would be pretty cool, I would support this for sure. This could be a great adult game if they don't wuss out on it.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Tomb Raider and Lara Croft can do no wrong in my book under the Crystal Dynamics flag... I'm absolutely positive about this up-coming title, and any direction it takes (short of "Angel of Darkness", o'course, but that wasn't CD's game). I love "Legend", "Anniversary", and "Underworld" and I couldn't be more jazzed that we get another game!!!

:D

Lara Croft fan-boy right here. Dyed-in-the-Wool. Some of the Game Informer article sniffed of Moleneaux-isms (I'm sure they're not doing an earth-shattering re-tooling of Lara or the series' strong points of platforming & exploration, though to hear their spokesman talk, it's going to re-define sliced bread), but I have every confidence that the end result will hold up nicely from their track record on the TR series to date.

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

does that matter? cuz I know kids or teenagers can still easilyaccess games rated M.

It's like cigarettes, many places prohibitthe sales of tabacco to teenagers, but it's not illegal for teenagers to have cigarettes.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

does that matter? cuz I know kids or teenagers can still easilyaccess games rated M.

It's like cigarettes, many places prohibitthe sales of tabacco to teenagers, but it's not illegal for teenagers to have cigarettes.

oajlu
that never made any sense to me...
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zidaneski

oajlu

You're right, kids can still get access pretty easily, but I just wanted to get people's opinions on if this new Tomb Raider having intense violence or gore would be a step in the right direction considering all the other Tomb Raider have kept blood and gore down to the T level.

GenAwesomeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GenAwesomeness
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Wow about time! Hopefully they give it a good reason for being rated M, other then extremely gory........ haha
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

any nudity?

plz dont make angelina jolie look Lara, i hate sausage lips.

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts

any nudity?

oajlu
hopefully not. there's no need for it. if you wanna see boobs, they're plastered all over the internet. i just want to play an awesome game.
RPG-Bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RPG-Bro
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I don't mind nudity either with male or female characters. Personally I'm not offended by it and I'm comfortable with it as long as it feels natural and not forced. With that in mind, I'm not really sure why people get all bent out of shape over it. I suppose some people can't handle looking at the naked form? Whatever, I'm mature enough to understand that not all nudity has to be about perversion (and it's not always used just to sell a product). Having that said, if they don't want to put nudity in their game I'm okay with that, too. An M rating means the game can literally feel more mature. I don't think some of you know what that means. It's mostly about the atmosphere and the mood and tone of the direction and story-telling. Just because it's rated M doesn't mean the game is going to have graphic head-crushing (Seriously, people? This is Tomb Raider, not Mortal Kombat.). At least that's usually what an M rating means. They could full well be planning to make graphic deaths and nudity. We can't really tell at this point. But judging by the trailer, I'm pretty sure it's mostly about atmosphere.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

oajlu

i know right, i hated Angelina Jolie's take on Lara Croft, just no

Orpheus_Evo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Orpheus_Evo
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

[QUOTE="BoxingTheStars"]

Zidaneski

This seems to be what they're going for. A survival experience that makes Lara Croft believable and relateable. Having her get bloody and beat up is something I wouldn't mind but the article also mentions that if you die at some parts its going to be pretty brutal. For example, fail to get out of a collasping cave and it'll show Lara's head literally get crushed. Sounds a bit too dark to me. Or maybe it doesn't quite go that far.

So, I think you're screwed then? Now you'll have to buy a M rated game... :?

The only thing worse for you would be "Avatar: Evolution" with Katara and Toph as a lesbian couple! :P

But, seriously... I'm starting to like this idea... I may buy the game after all, if they make it a gorefest. Kinda "MK with puzzles". :D

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zidaneski

[QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

[QUOTE="BoxingTheStars"]

Orpheus_Evo

So, I think you're screwed then? Now you'll have to buy a M rated game... :?

The only thing worse for you would be "Avatar: Evolution" with Katara and Toph as a lesbian couple! :P

But, seriously... I'm starting to like this idea... I may buy the game after all, if they make it a gorefest. Kinda "MK with puzzles". :D

Yeah, I feel like Aang trying to go about not killing Ozai, lol. I have played MGS 1-4 and tried to not kill anyone but that didn't always work out too well. It just is a huge bummer for me cause this was the first Tomb Raider game I actually would have wanted to play and pay for and then they throw the M ratyness at me. I still might get it just depends on what the reviews and community says about it.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#22 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Couldn't care less about the rating as long as it's good.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

good, every game should be rated M or better yet, every game should be rated Ao, stupid rating systems shouldn't limit creative freedom.. when they try to conform to an E or T rating they limit themselves in terms of what they can do.. if its a good idea and works well with the game they should just go with it..

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#24 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

good, every game should be rated M or better yet, every game should be rated Ao, stupid rating systems shouldn't limit creative freedom.. when they try to conform to an E or T rating they limit themselves in terms of what they can do.. if its a good idea and works well with the game they should just go with it..

PoisoN_Facecam0

That is not true in any way whatsoever. There are plenty of fantastic games that aren't limited at all by being rated E or T. Combat, story, and pretty much everything else can be just as good in a T game as an M game. Portal 2, one of the best games of they year, is E+10. Not limited in anyway. Fine, not a combat game, that's fine. How about Uncharted 2 then, widely considered to be one of the PS3's best games, rated Teen, and there's plenty of good combat and decent storytelling that wouldn't have benefited from gratatious swearing or excessive blood. Same goes to inFamous. How about hack 'n slash? Heavenly Sword and Enslaved are prime examples right there. The list of great games goes on an on. Battlefield: Bad Company, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman: Origins, etc, etc. And name one good AO game off the top of your head, just one.

ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
I dont care what the rating is. I play all types of games from E to M. I hope Crystal Dynamics does a great job as this is one of the most anticpated games for me.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I wouldn't mind it being rated M.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I don't care.
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

It doesn't really matter what rating it gets. As long as this can revive the series, I'll be happy.

PolygonBust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PolygonBust
Member since 2011 • 239 Posts

Not really surprised after seeing the trailer at E3.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#30 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

not really bothered by the age rating, just as long as its better than the broken mess that was underworld..

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

not really bothered by the age rating, just as long as its better than the broken mess that was underworld..

mooooo99

I want it more like Legend.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
i'm 25 and can buy games regardless of their rating so it doesnt matter to me what rating it getsstarwarsjunky
Wow, you're so cool! I believe the thread is not about you though but about the changes that would mean for the acutal gameplay.
Orpheus_Evo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Orpheus_Evo
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]i'm 25 and can buy games regardless of their rating so it doesnt matter to me what rating it getsnethernova
Wow, you're so cool! I believe the thread is not about you though but about the changes that would mean for the acutal gameplay.

LOL :lol:

Chvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chvy
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Weren't all the other tomb raiders rated T? Why make this one M? Some people wont be able to buy it and the amount of blood in M games is unrealistic making this game less realistic. They should of kept it T!!!
Avatar image for UnchartedPirate
UnchartedPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UnchartedPirate
Member since 2012 • 91 Posts

It looks pretty decent. I am interested. Maybe there is boobs in this one.

Avatar image for UnchartedPirate
UnchartedPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 UnchartedPirate
Member since 2012 • 91 Posts

It's ok that's it's rated M because the last thing we need is a bunch of 13 year olds thinking they are Russian Spetznaz Soldiers. We already know how badass those guys are.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

Had no interest in the Tomb Raider series before this one. I love new gritty nature of this new game. Lara Croft always seemed like a pair of boobs with a head on top of them. This game seems to make her much more dimensional as a character.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

the problem tomb raider had was the massive indication in the name "TOMB RAIDER", by the end of the orginal onto number 2, they'd completely forgot what it is, she is a tomb raider, she goes off on adventures into tomb's or she should do, thats the point, they just completely missed the point of lara croft and ended up rubbish, it looks great this new one and i'm hoping they've finnally rebooted it to the best it can be, and she finally goes off and does what she's ment to, searching for artifacts.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'd prefer it if it means that it will be a more mature game in general. I don't care about violence and gore though, that stuff is always cartoonish in video games.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zidaneski

When the game was first shown I thought the real violent and gory stuff was going to be in backgrounds and a result of consequences of failed platforming and QTEs. With that in mind I thought it might make it more realistic and add suspense. However, from the more recent clips and demos we've seen I feel like the M rating is diminishing the potential this game had. As someone mentioned Tomb Raider was very much about exploring ancient tombs and overcoming traps and guardians of these tombs, yet that doesn't seem to be the case at all now in this reboot.

Getting sidetracked but the developers said this is an orgin story to what Lara Croft will become. Thinking about that more now I view this as a trainwreck waiting to happen. Their gonna take a more realistic character and turn her into the dual pistol weilding adventurer who fans have a problem with in the first place (regarding her one-dimensionalness) and do it by just showing that she was forced to kill people in gruesome ways for survival. That thought isn't necessarily a terrible one because I think The Last of Us does it really well and the reason why it works in that game is because the gameplay is A LOT slower. Joel is a very capable aged survivor and it takes him 3 times as long to take out the same amount of enemies that it takes even this 21 year-old Lara on her first expedition.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#41 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

It wouldn't have bothered me if it wasn't, but when I shoot people in games I expect to see blood, so this rating can only be a good thing to make events more believable given Lara's circumstances.

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts

Dec 16, 2010 :|

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zidaneski

Dec 16, 2010 :|

ChikaraShref

Meh, the game isn't out yet so my thoughts have remained pretty much the same. I know most people and people in the industry don't see this as much of an issue but to me this is like if Jak had a reboot and was rated M.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

I profoundly hate Saw/Hostel that use pain/torture to leave an impression on the audience.

"Big B**bed Lara" wasn't shocking anyone, lots of female gamers liked her.

Having the main character wounded all the time, weak, assaulted by men only shows the machismo of the game developers, removing all strength and positive charisma Lara had.

A fun video game becomes a twisted misogynous game with no fun.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm old enough to buy the game so the rating doesn't bother me.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Don't give a damn just make it long and memorable.