New to Metal Gear Solid (Have a Question)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NintendoFan1953
NintendoFan1953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NintendoFan1953
Member since 2004 • 95 Posts

I really like stealth games. I keep hearing really great things about the Metal Gear Solid series and there's even a brand new release around the corner. I can get the HD collection cheap. However, they have a Legacy collection that is close to $65 for a new copy. Is the Legacy collection worth the extra money or would the HD collection suffice?

ps2xbox10189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ps2xbox10189
Member since 2004 • 1436 Posts

The difference between the the HD Collection vs the Legacy, is you get Metal Gear Solid 1 and 4(You also get Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, but you dont need to play that to get the story)

The HD Collection only has HD Versions of MGS2, MGS3, and peace walker. Legacy includes MGS1-4 and peace walker plus the VR Missions. (Both Copies include Metal Gear 1 and 2 which can be played as a seperate game inside MGS3) The MGS1 copy within the Legacy collection is just a download version from the PSN.

So to answer your question, I believe it would be cheaper to buy the HD Collection, then purchase a used copy of MGS4(Which is super cheap), and then purchase MGS1 from psn.

I would play these in order of release, and then when you have those finished I would rent MGS5 Ground Zeroes, I would not buy it, unless you just like collecting games as it is very short.

MarGera332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MarGera332
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Don't miss out on MGS 1 though. One of my favourite games, and the boss battles are great!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I would make a blanket statement here and claim that all Metal Gear games awe still well worth playing (Even the old as dirt ones). A solid series, and while through time it has slowly moved more and more away from the stealth approach from where it is needed, to where it is a preferred option). They are all damn good, and the stealth is at worst, solid, at best brilliant.

So yeah I would say it is worth the asking Price :P

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

go with the HD collection and get a copy of MGS4 and get MGS1 off PSN. you only need to play 1-4 and Peacewalker to get ready for MGSV and i agree that you should play them in order of release

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Even though I'm not a fan of the series anymore, I would still say that package is MORE then worth it.

BiggChonies882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BiggChonies882
Member since 2012 • 126 Posts

I'd say first check out MGSV: Ground Zeroes. It's a prologue for the yet to be released MGSV: The Phantom Pain.

It's not story heavy so you can focus on the gameplay. If you like the world, characters and vibe, get the Legacy Collection and start with MGS1.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@ps2xbox10189 said:

The difference between the the HD Collection vs the Legacy, is you get Metal Gear Solid 1 and 4(You also get Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, but you dont need to play that to get the story)

The HD Collection only has HD Versions of MGS2, MGS3, and peace walker. Legacy includes MGS1-4 and peace walker plus the VR Missions. (Both Copies include Metal Gear 1 and 2 which can be played as a seperate game inside MGS3) The MGS1 copy within the Legacy collection is just a download version from the PSN.

So to answer your question, I believe it would be cheaper to buy the HD Collection, then purchase a used copy of MGS4(Which is super cheap), and then purchase MGS1 from psn.

I would play these in order of release, and then when you have those finished I would rent MGS5 Ground Zeroes, I would not buy it, unless you just like collecting games as it is very short.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

You don't wanna miss the first one. And you definitely don't wanna start on MGS2, the weirdest in the series.