new ps3 owner, need somethings cleared up.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BladeMaster89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BladeMaster89
Member since 2006 • 40 Posts

i noticed that while i play some games, while the orange light is flashing, it makes some noise, kinda like the noise a computer would make while it is running a program. is this normal?

i also noticed that the disc drive makes several reading noises, but i assume this is normal.

last but not least, i also noticed that sometimes makes a squeaking kind of noise, its not very noticable, just in the quiet part of games. my friends said he has heard this too. is this normal?

are these things normal?

sorry for being a pain,i am paranoid, since i recently made the change from microsoft to sony. also my ps3 is the new 80gb.

deon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deon99
Member since 2007 • 677 Posts
sounds normal to me and your friend is hearing it to maybe.
KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts

you mean the orange light by the USB ports right? I think thats the wifi light, if not i have no idea what your talking about there.

yah mine makes reading noises when it first starts up or when loading certain parts of a game

not sure about the squeak i have surround sound cant hear that,

Gabe11cap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Gabe11cap
Member since 2003 • 1796 Posts

Yeah it usually is, mine makes a noise every now and then that I can only describe as what ice sounds like when it cracks (wierd analogy I know) but it's fine.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Those are normal, the disc reading noise is about the loudest thing on the new 80GBs and its even fairly quiet and only happens every once in a while. If you've played 360 you hear that disc going like the rotors on an apache helicoptor so every few minutes during heavy loading is fine. As for the orange light's noise its the console accessing the HDD. Not sure why it makes a noise, don''t know to much of how a harddrive works to explain that one.
Someguy2055

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Someguy2055
Member since 2008 • 213 Posts

i noticed that while i play some games, while the orange light is flashing, it makes some noise, kinda like the noise a computer would make while it is running a program. is this normal?

i also noticed that the disc drive makes several reading noises, but i assume this is normal.

last but not least, i also noticed that sometimes makes a squeaking kind of noise, its not very noticable, just in the quiet part of games. my friends said he has heard this too. is this normal?

are these things normal?

sorry for being a pain,i am paranoid, since i recently made the change from microsoft to sony. also my ps3 is the new 80gb.

BladeMaster89

The orange light (and noise) means the HDD is being accessed (just as it would on a computer). Reading noises are normal on any optical disc drive. I don't know what squeeking noise you're talking about.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts

are these things normal?

BladeMaster89
Normal. It's the harddrive indicator. :D The squeking is weird... I don't know.
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts
Maybe your room is so dead quiet that you could hear even a tiny bug flying. I hear that stuff but rarely when it is all quiet and I happen to be very close to my PS3.
xialon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 xialon
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

My PS3 does not make any audible noise.

Or maybe that is just because I sit about 20+ feet away from my PS3, and turn it own using my controller so I never really hear the disk reading part.

Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts
I recently upgraded the harddrive and the read noise when the hard drive is accessed quit. As for the squeeking noise not sure but I do hear a wierd noise from the blueray drive while playing Uncharted and I'm assuming its due to the amount of data being read from the disc at the drives max read speed. I have had my PS3 for about 6 months now and not a single problem. Lastly, hope you enjoy the switch as much as I did and still am.
aDhAmMe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 aDhAmMe13
Member since 2007 • 719 Posts
well, it's completely ok. and 2 explain how you distinctly hear it, the ps3's cooling system is stronger and bigger than that of the 360...so no worries...
BladeMaster89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BladeMaster89
yea the squeak is weird, im just curious what causes it.
kar008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kar008
Member since 2004 • 526 Posts
what position do u have ur ps3, horizontal or vertical? try changing positions and see
BladeMaster89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BladeMaster89
hoizontal, havent tried changing it cuz i dont have the space vertically.
proximo642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 proximo642
Member since 2003 • 991 Posts

I guess my PS3 is different. I don't hear much of anything from mine. My OTHER console is a different story.

If it get's out of hand, I would call support.

BladeMaster89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BladeMaster89
which is the noise that is not normal? cuz i got the ps3 last week, but i have the in store warranty also.
Avatar image for mistergamer2006
mistergamer2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mistergamer2006
Member since 2006 • 988 Posts
dude u shouldnt worry! those are all normal i hear them from time to time as well and iv had mine for about over a year now and i hear the sounds as well especially noicy when u turn it on..its nothing... i never expected my PS3 to be totally silent... in fact its pretty silent already =D
Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts
Honestly if your still worried (which after a 360 is understandable) I would just take it back before you get alot of content on it and swap it out for another. The squeeking does sound slightly abnormal and some PS3's do fail but definitely not anywhere near as common as the first batch of 360's. I'd say your fine but hey if you cant stop thinking about it just swap it while you can.