Never played a Witcher game. Is TW3 still worth getting?

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

So I finally gathered enough money to buy a PS4, and it's coming soon. I'm looking forward to getting games like Bloodborne and Fallout 4 when it comes out. However, I'm wondering if I should get The Witcher 3. I've never played a Witcher game before, but it looks like a lot of people enjoy the game. It even got a 10 on GameSpot, and this site isn't known for throwing out 10s like dollar bills being tossed at a strip club. The game must be pretty damn good if GS gave it a 10.

I heard the game is bigger than Skyrim's map too, which is both a little exciting and worrying for me. Skyrim on PS3 lags up the ass and freezes frequently. The PS4 is powerful enough for TW3's massive game world, right? It won't lag and freeze like Skyrim on PS3, will it?

I haven't seen much footage of the game since I don't want to spoil anything.

Is The Witcher 3 a good game to get even if you've never played a Witcher game before? And does it perform well on the PS4?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

It's not really necessary to have played the previous games... I only played the 2nd one and I followed things fine. It's a brilliant game! You'll definitely get your moneys worth out of it.

And it performs great on both consoles.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

It's not really necessary to have played the previous games... I only played the 2nd one and I followed things fine. It's a brilliant game! You'll definitely get your moneys worth out of it.

And it performs great on both consoles.

Great! Thanks for the feedback.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

The framerate could be better, otherwise it's all around awesome game with pretty graphics, interesting story and a huge world to explore. This is what a modern Zelda game should be.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#5 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I only played 3 first and am loving it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think it is. However I would strongly recommend reading a synopsis of the previous two and some of the world lore. It isn't needed to play, BUT TW3 gives a REALLY cursory intro to who Geralt is and what is going on. Without a deeper background on things you're liable to think of him as "random deep voiced he man" and the characters in the world as "random fantasy dude with long name" instead of something more meaningful. You see, these games have deep politics and interpersonal relationships. But all of that was established in the prior titles, so here it might feel a bit like walking in on a party full of strangers where everyone is doing their thing but you don't know why you should care "did you hear who Sally yelled at last night?!?" :-P