Need some opinions, I can't decide :(

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Decon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Decon5
Member since 2003 • 175 Posts

so it finally dawned on me that i havent played nearly as many games as i should. my problem now, is that i cant decide which games to get. i already have folklore, valkyria chronicles, and white knight chronicles, all of which i have completed. while still on the topic of rpgs, i also have demons souls. ive beat the game a few times with various builds, but i cant exactly say ive completed it. in addition to that i have assassins creed two, black ops, and both fifa ten and eleven. the sad part is that ive had my playstation for almost three years now and this is all i have...

so that being said, i need some help picking out some new game/s. guess ill just list them.

eternal sonata. ive heard great things about this game, and im a huge rpg fan.the game strikes me as kind of a combination of valkyria chronicles and a tales of series game.

resonance of fate. ive played this for roughly twenty game hours, but i can get a copy for under twenty dollars so it might be worth it. how much replay value does this game have.

way of the samurai three. one of those titles i have never seen much about. i played the first one way back when and remember it being pretty fun.

uncharted two. im pretty sold aout getting this game in the first place. played a little under half of the first one at a friends, and i have played maybe three hours of the second, again at a friends. my buddy was telling me that playing through the first game wont make much of a difference story wise for the second, but im still debating if i should get the first uncharted just so i can be on track before i start the second.

the last and probably the most random is lair. i heard great/terrible things about this game. i guess the patch they introduced fixed quite a bit, so for a budget title this game seems pretty sweet, who wouldnt want to fly a dragon. is it worth getting, or should i just save myself the time.

im also open for reccomendations. money isnt a huge issues, but spring semester is starting up soon so im not sure how much time ill have. not trying to buy four games just so stare at them on my shelf. for reference, ive tried ff fourteen, bioshocks, metal gear, god of war, re five, red dead and star ocean, so i can pass on those

thanks for your time in advance. i had to post this from my phone, so sorry for the poor grammar and punctuation. once i get my net back ill fix it.

schizo_talon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 schizo_talon
Member since 2010 • 249 Posts

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are good. Dragon's Age was good too. Mass Effect 2 comes out later this month. If you like Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is a great game.

Flat_Spectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Flat_Spectre
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts

Eternal Sonata is a pretty good game. The story it tells is actually quite deep but the actual game itself is a little shallow for my taste, and when you get new weapons their aesthetics don't change, which is pretty ****ing lame.

As for other rpgs I really think you should try out Final Fantasy XIII (don't listen to all the haters, it isn't THAT bad) and Star Ocean IV.

I'd definitely pick up Uncharted 2 as well. I put in a good 40 hours into that game and I'm not even into shooting games that much.

Decon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Decon5

thanks for the responses. ive actually played both fallout and new vegas, as well as dragon age on my desktop, but i really liked them. borderlands i played on my pc as well. i also played the hell out of me and me two on my pc. i liked ac quite a bit, but ill probably wait for a price drop on brotherhood.

i tried playing about an hour of thirteen and i just couldnt get into it. i loved every ff up to that point. nine is probably my favorite, but for some reason i really liked twelve too. i even played the mmo for awhie. thirteen just seemend like it was missing something. another gripe i had was the lack of minigames. seven had chocobos, arcade, etc. eight and nine had the cardgames, and ten had blitzball. since twelve was kind of a unique style, mainly being able to change equipment types, skills, etc. it just kinda felt like thirteen was just a step in the wrong direction. to be fair though, i didnt give it as much time as i should,, especially since ive played every ff to the end up until this one..

about sonata though, that was one of the things i noticed when i was looking into it, the weapons not changing.

a couple questions though, and again sorry for no question marks, my net is still down. are there any side quests, or at least extra things outside of the story. how many party members out of the lot do you actually bother using, and is each characters skills/weapon all unique or do they recycle skills/animations.

thanks again, i really appreciate it. nice to get honest opinions about games.

Flat_Spectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Flat_Spectre
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts

I actually really enjoyed FFXIII; about halfway into it the game starts to open up and you're able to do mark missions and there are still chocobos. Story is pretty damn good too. But yeah it isn't as good as its predecessors.

Regarding Eternal Sonata...I think there were a few side quests (not too much from what I can remember, though) but I think the best thing about it is its combat system, none of the skills are recycled and there are quite a bit of them.The battle system is pretty fast paced as well (Tri-ace for ya). I just thought the game could've used more content.

Edit: Forgot about your question about the characters. There was a decent amount but you don't get to actually choose who fights and who doesn't for quite a while, which is good as it gets you used to the characters.

Decon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Decon5

Regarding XIII: Do you just get to ride the chocobos? Or do you actually get to breed/raise/train them? I followed XIII for awhile while it was being developed and I thought it looked great, but nothing about the game stood out. About Sonata: Thank you! You have convinced me to play it. I was just cautious about buying it, I bought White Knight Chronicles the day it came out and later realized my mistake. Level5 is probably one of my favorite companies (Dark Cloud 1 & 2, Rogue Galaxy) so I figured it was a sure thing, but I learned my lesson :-P

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Eternal Sonata is...not a good game. It was sort of a product of its time - an early JRPG on the 360 where the pickings were slim, and even ported to the PS3 with extras it's not a particularly great game. It's very linear, has a mediocre story, and some of the worst characters in videogame history. It looks good, however, and the music isn't bad (mostly because the good stuff is ripped from Chopin). Just take the reviews with a grain of salt given when the game came out. However, I got a copy of Eternal Sonata for $2.50, so that (and Lair) are probably decent pickups if only because they're so cheap. If you liked Folklore and White Knight, you might consider Nier. It got slammed a bit in reviews but the user reviews are far more kind and having played about 3/4s of it...it's pretty decent. Mediocre graphics and story but great characters and fantastic music. It plays a bit like an offline MMORPG with a much smaller world.
Decon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Decon5
I completely forgot about Nier. I've heard mixed reviews about it, but it seems pretty cool. How is it like an MMo? Just open zones and lots of customization? I unfortunately didn't really enjoy WKC that much, but whole combat range thing really aggravated me but oh well. How come you disliked Sonata so much? Are you a JRPG fan? And where did you find it for 2.50? That'd be sweet :D
Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

Way of Samurai 3, if you like first one then you're going to like third one. It combines all the good from first one and two. New things you'll find are 9 stances in fighting, economy(money, buy/sell items), more streamlined sword upgrade, sword parts to make your own sword, partner system, better event navigation and sword chest to store your collected sword.

All things you've found will carry over to new game+. This one has high replay value if you're looking for 23 endings, collecting every sword and perfecting your custom sword. Way of Samurai 4(Japanese version) will be released in February 17. Its developer intents to localize it and currently looking for publisher.

Resonance of Fate has a long replay value if you like to beat the game in all difficulty level, providing you won't get bored replying it 9 times. This game has 10 difficulty levels:

1. Normal
  2. Advance
  3. Hard
  4. Professional
  5. Hurt Me Plenty
  6. Ultimate
  7. Supremacy
  8. Legendary
  9. Mythology
  10. Zenith

Eternal Sonata, if you like JRPG then you'll like this. First time can be restricting because it doesn't allow you to backtrack to previous place you visit. It allows you backtrack and freely exploring in new game+.

Another game you should consider is Yakuza 3. This game has a lot of rpg elements. It mixes free-roam, fighting and rpg elements. First 3 chapters(Orphanage part) can be slow but I guess this won't effect you much for rpg player. After chapter 3 things will start picking up. BTW, Yakuza 4 is coming this March 15 2011.

Decon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Decon5
Thanks for the info about WotS 3, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I haven't thought about Yakua 3; I tried the demo and it seemed alright, may have to look further into it.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I completely forgot about Nier. I've heard mixed reviews about it, but it seems pretty cool. How is it like an MMo? Just open zones and lots of customization? I unfortunately didn't really enjoy WKC that much, but whole combat range thing really aggravated me but oh well. How come you disliked Sonata so much? Are you a JRPG fan? And where did you find it for 2.50? That'd be sweet :DDecon5
Maybe MMORPG is a bit of a stretch - it just sort of feels like one due to the nature of the sidequests and the backseat the main plot takes if you choose to ignore it and just wander around. The sidequests are your typical MMORPG fare of collecting item drops (like 10 mutton from sheep) or delivering messages or items to other characters. They can get a bit old, but I'm glad they're there as the quests make the world feel a little more alive. Which it needs - it feels pretty barren otherwise. There's also no customization other than weapon upgrades, as the game plays out more like God of War than a JRPG. As for Sonata, I disliked it mainly for the characters, who are mostly your typical prepubscent JRPG cast with painfully awkward/peppy voiceovers. The bad guys are similarly over the top, but not in a campy sort of way - the game seems to want you to take them seriously. Also, the dungeon design is...bad. A lot of the areas are linear (the game is very linear in general) but some of them become extremely mazelike and one dungeon in particular (Fort Fermata) has you running back and forth from one end of the area to the other flipping switches just so you can run back to the other end and flip a switch so you can...well, you get the picture. I actually quit playing there on my first attempt because it was so annoying. I still haven't finished it, but I'm about 20-25 hours in and much furthe than that. It does get better with the addition of some later characters, but I still don't know if I'd call it a good game - it's mostly mediocre.
Decon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Decon5
Thanks again for the info DJ. I may just have to rent Neir, but I do like the idea of having a lot of side quests. I just wish you were actually able to change/customize gear.