This topic is locked from further discussion.

-DarkPhoenix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -DarkPhoenix-
Member since 2007 • 547 Posts

I'm getting connected to the internet this weekend (sky)
And we're getting a wireless router, goign to be installed downstairs..
BUT. We dont have a PC at the moment..
So my question is...
Do we need a PC to let my playstation connect to it?
Or will my playstation just connect straight away?
(I'll be using a Wireless connection)

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

DarkPhoenix

JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#2 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts
How are you typing this? And i do believe you need a PC for the router to even work, if im not mistaken. It needs to be installed.
RMANPOWER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 RMANPOWER
Member since 2007 • 2734 Posts

So my question is...

DarkPhoenix

-DarkPhoenix-

I'm taking a wild guess, hopefully I'm right.

You could run it auto and it will pick it up, but make sure you know the WEP KEY for the router. (Should be underneath the router) This will be fine, but you'll most likey get TYPE 3 maybe. If you want everything to run smooth, then you'll have to go into the settings and edit them. (Both PS3/Router wise)

Overall: You'll be able to pick it up okay.

-DarkPhoenix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -DarkPhoenix-
How are you typing this? And i do believe you need a PC for the router to even work, if im not mistaken. It needs to be installed.JudgementEden

I'm at work :) *shh!*
DAMNDAMNBUGGERDAMN.

Please say it isnt so :(

DarkPhoenix
RMANPOWER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RMANPOWER

How are you typing this? And i do believe you need a PC for the router to even work, if im not mistaken. It needs to be installed.JudgementEden

I believe he might be right on that part about getting it installed.

-DarkPhoenix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -DarkPhoenix-
[QUOTE="-DarkPhoenix-"]

So my question is...

DarkPhoenix

RMANPOWER

I'm taking a wild guess, hopefully I'm right.

You could run it auto and it will pick it up, but make sure you know the WEP KEY for the router. (Should be underneath the router) This will be fine, but you'll most likey get TYPE 3 maybe. If you want everything to run smooth, then you'll have to go into the settings and edit them. (Both PS3/Router wise)

Overall: You'll be able to pick it up okay.

Sorry double post but yay :)
Yeah I thought this woudl be the case.
The WEP key is usually 'Defult' or 'Admin' anyway if it isnt on teh bottom :)

I love gamespot.. i pretty much posted the same thred as the playstation official forums over an hour ago and still have no reply :)

Thankyou to all that are helping xD

DarkPhoenix
-DarkPhoenix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -DarkPhoenix-

[QUOTE="JudgementEden"]How are you typing this? And i do believe you need a PC for the router to even work, if im not mistaken. It needs to be installed.RMANPOWER

and another post.. :(
Lol im happysadhappysad!
Why would it need to be installed? Usually installing something is just to get drivers for the PC.. right?

DarkPhoenix

JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JudgementEden
[QUOTE="RMANPOWER"]

[QUOTE="JudgementEden"]How are you typing this? And i do believe you need a PC for the router to even work, if im not mistaken. It needs to be installed.-DarkPhoenix-

Lol im happysadhappysad!
Why would it need to be installed? Usually installing something is just to get drivers for the PC.. right?

DarkPhoenix

Im going by experience a bit. A lot of the things get set up on your computer when you first hook it up. Dont take my word for it though, but thats what i have seen so far.

-DarkPhoenix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -DarkPhoenix-
[QUOTE="-DarkPhoenix-"][QUOTE="RMANPOWER"]

[QUOTE="JudgementEden"]How are you typing this? And i do believe you need a PC for the router to even work, if im not mistaken. It needs to be installed.JudgementEden

Lol im happysadhappysad!

DarkPhoenix

Im going by experience a bit. A lot of the things get set up on your computer when you first hook it up. Dont take my word for it though, but thats what i have seen so far.

Damn I really hope this isnt the case!
I've not had a computer now since October, and been wanting to get my PS3 online since i got it (January)
If I do need a PC, I'll have to save up and buy one, which could take months. :(

DarkPhoenix

JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JudgementEden
Sorry about that dude. I hope theres a way around that, you cant use ethernet?
-DarkPhoenix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -DarkPhoenix-
Sorry about that dude. I hope theres a way around that, you cant use ethernet?JudgementEden

Haha its no problem, thankyou for your help *hi5*
Are you saying you think I might be able to connect if I used an Ethernet cable?

DarkPhoenix
jojothekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jojothekid
Member since 2008 • 2108 Posts
you don't need a pc mine worked just fine without it i had a pc and i tried it but it didn't work for me. but later the computer crashed (not because of the ps3) because of viruses and i tried it again and it worked perfectly and now a i have computer and we installed the router in the pc and i've noticed i have more bars when playing but you don't need a computer
-DarkPhoenix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -DarkPhoenix-
you don't need a pc mine worked just fine without it i had a pc and i tried it but it didn't work for me. but later the computer crashed (not because of the ps3) because of viruses and i tried it again and it worked perfectly and now a i have computer and we installed the router in the pc and i've noticed i have more bars when playing but you don't need a computer jojothekid

Ah yes but isnt this done AFTER you installed the router to your old PC first?
I'm talking about just not having a pc, going out and getting a router, plugging it in and trying to connect the playstation.

DarkPhoenix
JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JudgementEden
If you used ethernet you definitely dont need a computer. Jojo may be correct though, who knows.
RMANPOWER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RMANPOWER

Yup, He had it installed.

He had too, if not then someone is lying. :)

JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JudgementEden
Whenever you get your PS3 online, add me. My PSN ID is JudgementEden (Just like below).
jojothekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jojothekid
no i didn't i just tried it ethernet but didn't work and i couldn't install because pc was already dying and i thought if i installed it would take a chunk out of it s memory and kill it but i do have a cable modem i plug my wireless router in there afterthe computer crashed i just tried one day and it worked im serious i have no reason to lie to you i see you have a problem i had for a long time and im trying to help
iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iamsickofspam
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

He should be able to connect the PS3 to the router via Ethernet Cable, and then log into the routers Web Based GUI, and set his WEP/WPA key up via the settings.

I say 'Should', but have no idea if this works because i have never tried it with the PS3'S browser, but there is no reason why it shouldnt. If there is an instalation engineer setting it up ask him about setting it up for you because you dont have a PC, if not, and you cant set it up via ps3, your going to have to borrow a laptop or something for 10 minutes.

iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 iamsickofspam
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

You dont need to install anything with a router, if you plug into it with a cable you just open your internet browser IE/Firefox/Opera ect and type the routers IP address, or in some cases the routers name.

ussually the IP is something like 192.168.0.1

it will take you to a web based interface for the routers settings, from here you can configure WEP/WPA keys, settings ect, the only time you need install anything if your connecting to your router via USB.

-DarkPhoenix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -DarkPhoenix-

According to this forum: http://community.eu.playstation.com/showthread.php?t=128306&page=3
you can get your router online with a Ethernet cable, and if your lucky, the router will be able to go wireless..

no i didn't i just tried it ethernet but didn't work and i couldn't install because pc was already dying and i thought if i installed it would take a chunk out of it s memory and kill it but i do have a cable modem i plug my wireless router in there afterthe computer crashed i just tried one day and it worked im serious i have no reason to lie to you i see you have a problem i had for a long time and im trying to help jojothekid

Are you saying that your router didnt come into any contact with your PC, then, after it died you connected the router to your playstation through a wired connection via ethernet, and it worked?
If thats so, then it confirms what that forum said..

DarkPhoenix

jojothekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jojothekid
thats what happened except when i put the ethernet in it would say no ethernet then i just set in wireless and it worked after i a few weeks later (i only set it up in January) i plugged in the ethernet and it worked before i got the computer february 16 but i still go wireless
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts

JudgementEden is right. You'll need a PC to intially set up the modem/router. After that it can be disconnected and put where ever you want. That's what I did. I have my desktop, laptop, and PS3 wireless, but my 360 is hardwired in to the router.

Additionally, and sorry for the bad news, but with Sky you'll have a hard time playing online. You can download items off of the PSN, but satellite internet is entirely too laggy for online play.

Azurathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Azurathe
Member since 2003 • 498 Posts
Youll be fine without a pc. You might need to change some settings on the router, but if you cant do that through the PS3's browser (in the middle of a game myself or id give it a look see to be certain) just ask the ISP tech who comes over to do it for you. Highly unlikely, given what he does, he wont have a laptop on him. I'd recommend asking him to set a unique WEP key, otherwise youll just get your connection leached by someone in your area.
jojothekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jojothekid
i used a cable moodem from time warner and it worked i don't know about sky
CryoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CryoGoblin
Member since 2008 • 343 Posts
you dont have to get it installed. Just have your cable modem connected to it the router is already a running machine on its own. It is just a distributor. look at it this way do you need a computer if you connect your ps3 straight to the modem? no. so routing the internet through a router just gives you a wireless connection and/or more ports for other machines.
Vicius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vicius
Member since 2003 • 337 Posts
First you need to connect it to the ps3 using the ethernet cable so you can set it up through the ps3 browser (if you can't then you will need a pc). Then disconnect the cable and set up the wireless conection on the ps3 and you are done.
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
Most wireless routers have a default configuration that should allow you to connect with the PS3 without having to do anything. It won't be secure, but it should work.