My thoughts after finishing Killzone 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by DaBigBadBruno (50 posts) -

A few weeks ago I beat this game. Let me say Killzone 2 has to be one of my favorite and best games I have played on current Generation consoles. It’s quite possibly could be one of my of all time favorite game’s I have played. While, playing this game I felt it had a unique organic experience. It was the first time I had this feeling since playing the original Halo on the original xbox. The game started with awesome opening scene with the main villain Emperor Visari with inspiring and motivating speech to his soldiers. This was the same way how the first killzone game started out. Visari has become one of my favorite main Villain’s. This game leads off where the first Killzone game has ended.

This game has made huge strides in comparison with the first killzone. It had an awesome story line, great game play, awesome characters, the visuals was amazing, and everything seemed to go much smother. I know the original killzone game came out for last Gen consoles but, I have played games that looked and played better than this on last gen consoles. They did a bad job remaking the first killzone hd for the trilogy collection. In the end I did enjoy the playing first killzone.

For me playing the Killzone series in general reminds me a combination of Star Wars, Wolfenstein, and with a Gears of War Personality. I will be soon continuing the series with Killzone 3, I hope it will be as good or even better than Killzone 2. My goal is eventually to finish the trilogy and play killzone Shadow Fall.

#1 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Rico ruined the story, and while the singleplayer was solid overall, the multiplayer was the core of the game, which was pretty good, but nowhere near the best. It deserves an 8ish.

#2 Posted by SoNin360 (5689 posts) -

The only thing I really remember about it was how sluggish it felt. I guess I just never got used to it, but moving around alone was annoying. I feel as if I should go back again and play it since that was years ago and I was still relatively new to shooters. Other than that I thought it was just a decent game. The multiplayer was kind of fun for a while. Never really got into the story enough to remember much of it. I preferred Killzone 3 since they got rid of the insane weightiness. But I also don't remember much about the story, and the multiplayer once again was fun for a short while.

In all, I think Killzone is a decent franchise. No more or no less. There are definitely better Sony exclusives out there.

#3 Posted by ristactionjakso (6115 posts) -

kz2 is the best one out of the series hands down. Rico needs to die in kz3 seriously, he is annoying. But you will enjoy the brutal melee and jetpacks. Try playing KZ2 and KZ3 without any HUD or any crosshairs. It makes them a lot better.

KZ2 > KZSF > KZ3 > KZ1

#4 Posted by The_Golden_Age- (172 posts) -

Rico is supposed to be disliked. Every character in the game hates him by the end of Killzone 2. That's part of why Killzone 3 is so stupid (among many other reasons). I love Killzone 2 though. It's my favourite FPS. Liberation on PSP is awesome too. I still haven't played Mercenary, I need to get on that.

#5 Edited by 187umKILLAH (1414 posts) -

KZ2 is a solid 10/10, the MP alone makes it worthy of purchasing. The fact that it also has a long interesting campaign and offline bots just adds to it's awesomeness.

#6 Posted by pillarrocks (1349 posts) -

Kilzone 2 was amazing minus the whole weight thing when carrying guns. I liked the online but glad it got changed for Killzone 3 which played more like COD. Probably Killzone 2 is the best right behind Killzone 3 only cause I hated the ending it got. Plus I hate Rico for what he did in Kill zone 2.

#7 Posted by JimmiCottam (103 posts) -

I started playing KZII last night and was amazed! For a game that is a few years old now, it still looks and plays really well. Not bad for a game I paid £2 for!

#8 Edited by BranKetra (49927 posts) -

I consider Killzone 2 to be a good game. It has a great menu clip which shows graphics and the basic premise of that game. I did not really like my squadmate, but he did his job well. The weapons were fun to use and the enemies died in spectacular fashion (which I am talking about merely as video game content).

#9 Edited by Bardock47 (5370 posts) -

I just got a PS3 a couple weeks ago and also just have Played Killzone 2 and 3. I liked the second, the things that didn't sit well with me were how the art style was all 'brown and grey' based and the actual story seemed weak. Don't get me wrong it looks good, but I felt the landscapes were bland at times. It did lend itself to the dreainess of the plant though. Also I love the universe it is set in, how both factions are not fully in the right or wrong and really makes the war more thought provoking than most games. But the story in the games felt bland and the characters rather meh overall. I wish there was much more of Radec and Visari in the game (similar to how we see the Helghast POV in the third game.) And just better story in general. The multiplayer seemed pretty dead so never really got a chance to try it. I'd give 2 a 7/10

Killzone 3 I felt was much improved. The landscapes were much more varied and generally colorful and appealing to the eye. We got much more of the Helghast (I'm gonna admit I love the Helghast). The additons and subtle tweaks made it feel like a much better game. The narrative was a a bit better (Again, the power struggle within the Helghast was honestly the best part) but I felt that the ISA characters were poorly fleshed out in general, like what is up with Jammer? I feel like if they would just refine it a bit more it would be able to convey a great story that the premise and lore of the universe deserves. Also the MP is still alive and well. Warzone is a amazing idea I feel should be implented on other games. The class based abilites enforce diversification and team work. Really its one of the best arena based shooters I've played. Id give it about an 9/10. Honestly if they could have ironed out the campaign and sotry it would be amazing, but its still a great game.

#10 Posted by rogelio22 (2428 posts) -

KZ2 is the best one imo...kz2> kz3> kzsf> kz...

#11 Posted by Blabadon (28496 posts) -

I gotta admit, after waiting a longass time to finally judge the controls of Killzone 2, I found out last year that they were as sluggish as claimed.

But the game looks pretty which will carry me a little further into before I may quit of boredom

#12 Edited by ristactionjakso (6115 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

I gotta admit, after waiting a longass time to finally judge the controls of Killzone 2, I found out last year that they were as sluggish as claimed.

But the game looks pretty which will carry me a little further into before I may quit of boredom

The wieght is really easy to get used to. You gotta get used to hipfiring, it makes it a lot easier.

#13 Posted by Blabadon (28496 posts) -

@ristactionjakso said:

@Blabadon said:

The wieght is really easy to get used to. You gotta get used to hipfiring, it makes it a lot easier.

Yeah, I realized that in Killzone 3 when I had played that. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.

#14 Edited by ristactionjakso (6115 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@ristactionjakso said:

@Blabadon said:

Yeah, I realized that in Killzone 3 when I had played that. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.

You will get used to it really quick. I'm so used to it now, that I don't used any HUD or crosshairs and i still hip shoot people with good accuracy. I play through the campaign at least once a year and the "weight" issue is like riding a bike now.

Basically only use your sights when the enemy is far away, and fire in bursts if the enemy is far away too. Other than that, good luck. The game is a lot harder than KZ3. Radec is a d!ck.

#15 Posted by Blabadon (28496 posts) -

Good, I have it pumped up to hard as it is (or whatever the hardest unlocked one is at the start).

Is multi still alive? I would check but my PS3 isn't fixed yet.

#16 Edited by ristactionjakso (6115 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Good, I have it pumped up to hard as it is (or whatever the hardest unlocked one is at the start).

Is multi still alive? I would check but my PS3 isn't fixed yet.

Ya, there are like "professional" KZ2 players online. You probably will die a thousand times but still the MP is fun.

#17 Posted by ShangTsung7 (250 posts) -

@NaveedLife: soooooo glad someone agrees with me on that.. i absolutely HATED Rico on this game "especially after that one cutscene where he beat that poor guy half to death for no reason other than to be a dick" i spent the rest of the game not enjoying it but wishing like hell i could kill that bastard.. yes he most certainly ruined the story and the sad part is the game would have been so epic had it not been for him, i could not make myself enjoy the game no matter how hard i tried thanks to that one asshole character, he was worse than that chick on Bulletstorm and thats saying something!