My PS3 shuts down on its own

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by shogoh (571 posts) -

My PS3 shut down 4 times earlier today. I started a PS2 game and within 2 minutes, the PS3 made a weird beeping noise and shut down. The red light was flashing. I can restart the PS3 but the same thing would happen within minutes.

It may be related to overheating but it's not that hot to the touch and I only played for about 3 minutes. My PS3 is in a shelf in my TV stand but the front is completely open. There is no door at the front. The back only has holes for the wires. I took it out of the shelf and put it side down on the floor with a ventilator blowing directly on it. It did not shut down after that.

Is overheating the problem?

#2 Posted by Jeremy252 (339 posts) -
It shuts down on it's own? What a smart PS3....
#3 Posted by mattyomo99 (3915 posts) -

you got a rare defect, it happens, the same cant be said for the 360 where its like flipping a coin if its going to break

#4 Posted by liamabob (1723 posts) -

apparantly, overheating causes the green light to flash on and off before shutting down.
has this happened?

#5 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -

I have mine sitting in a cabinet like you have but it has a door on it. When I have the console on I open the door because not only is the console in the same cabinet there is a surround sound system setup in the same cabinet the sound system actually gets hotter than the console. What I found is have the PS3 on the top shelf just lower that shelf as low as possible though. I have mine sitting on it's side as well. I have never has an overheating problem with this setup yet.

Note I may have it on for hours at a time.

#6 Posted by JoKeR_421 (8920 posts) -
its not over heating, maybe u got either a defect one, call sony i reccommend u that, or it could be u doin somethin that makes the ps3 shut down, but its not over heatin
#7 Posted by shogoh (571 posts) -
I didn't notice any green lights but I've had my PS3 for four months and it never happened before. I've watched movies for hours without any problem.
#8 Posted by avail447 (1694 posts) -
sounds possessed
#9 Posted by schesak (709 posts) -

Doubt if it was over heating when playing a game titlethat is for the PS2 and not the PS3. It would hardly be getting a workout. (Mine barely gets warm when playing PS2 games).

Like peeps said, maybe you have a defective one though. o.O Bummer if so.

Is it possible the particular title you are trying to play isn't backward compatable and causes issues? One of my friends mentioned that one of their PS2 games just plain doesn't work on the PS3, makes the screen go black and he has to reset the machine when he tries to play it. Dont' remember which one it was though, sorry. :-/ And the same thing happened when he tried to use his ARMax cheats (for the PS2) on the PS3. LOL, knucklehead.. yah.

Seriously though, if it only happens with that ONE game.. I'd check the PS3 compatability site first. If it happens with other games, or if there shouldn't be a compatability issue... I'd get the thing replaced. Really no way it should overheat on a PS2 title, and defects DO happen. Better to take care of it when you're still under warranty.

#10 Posted by Pablo620 (4980 posts) -
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I posted a thread on it just recently. Its titled...my PS3 is over heating. So is yours. See the manual. If it flashes green and red it is. If it blinks red its also over heating. Mine is just red. Gonna call tomorrow. And mine also doesnt feel all that hot but inside could be a different story
#11 Posted by Pablo620 (4980 posts) -
Like schsak said mine doesnt shut off on PS2 games. only PS3 games. So yours might be worst than mine
#12 Posted by TM1 (7249 posts) -
A flashing red light is overheating so it sounds like it. Like you said you took it out of the shelf and it didn't do it so theres your problem.
#13 Posted by The_Rick_14 (9945 posts) -

A flashing red light is overheating so it sounds like it. Like you said you took it out of the shelf and it didn't do it so theres your problem. TM1

yup, right in the manual it says blinking red light means systems INTERNAL temperature is too high, so it might not feel all that hot on the outside. Also you mentioned that the front was open. That's certainly helpful but the manual also recommends at least 4 inches of free space to the consoles right and rear for proper ventalation.

Keep that awesome goodness we here call the ps3 where it can get some air. :)

#14 Posted by The_Rick_14 (9945 posts) -

Also forgot to mention that the PS3 has been built to shut-down by itself when it senses the internal temp. is dangerously high.

That's just a normal precaution to ensure there isn't any permanant damage to your PS3.

So again...:)

#15 Posted by bsin94 (1497 posts) -
Hmm, maybe you should keep your PS3 in an open space. It needs to be somewhere where it is not confined.
#16 Posted by sonic0491 (2508 posts) -

dude this is the fail rate of every console (made up in my mind for every million people)

ps3- 10/1000000

wii- 8/1000000

360- 999999/1000000

ps im not biased its just my thoughts because mine broke and i hear alot :P i love 360....when it works

#17 Posted by schesak (709 posts) -
Hmm, maybe you should keep your PS3 in an open space. It needs to be somewhere where it is not confined.bsin94
Aye, Definitely need to keep it in an open space. I treat my consoles the same as I do my PC, and that means clearance on all sides and NOT in an enclosed space. The PS3 looks decent, and not "boxy" so having it out in the open isn't like an eye-sore in the living room or wherever it is you keep it. We've come along way since the earliest days of consoles.
#18 Posted by Xb0Xer (617 posts) -
yeah i would do as they say... i used to have my xbox 360 set like you have your ps3 and guess what 4 months later it gave me 3 red lights and it died and took it back and got a new one but kept my old HDD and found out later that hdd was defective so took the new one back and got a new system and hdd and haven't had any problems plus i have a big box fan behind just incase... plus i unhook it every day and put it back in it's box till i know where i live is safe to leave it out... had too many robbers... but yeah keep it well ventilated....
Avatar image for deactivated-58405e092ba2c
#19 Posted by deactivated-58405e092ba2c (2381 posts) -
That sucks, I havent had anything liketaht before
#20 Posted by Pablo620 (4980 posts) -
Call Sony. tell them you have it in an open space. I told them i couldnt feel any air flow and couldnt really hear the fans. Hey Sony made them quiet as heck. I could feel the heat but no airflow. They'll ask you to change its stance, vertical or horizontal. Mine had these problems (as i posted before) and they are sending me shipping materials to ship it to them and they are sending me a brand new PS3
#21 Posted by SikKwuN (1442 posts) -

It shuts down on it's own? What a smart PS3....Jeremy252

lmao. youre awesome.

#22 Posted by shogoh (571 posts) -
It happened again today. I noticed that right before the system shuts down, the power light becomes yellow. After it shuts down, the light is blinking red. I played Odin Sphere for 15 minutes before this happened. It's only 73 degrees in the house. There is also much more than 4 inches on each side of the PS3 and the front is completely open. I really doubt the system is overheating. Maybe the fans are not working well because they don't make a lot of noise. I will have to call Sony.
#23 Posted by KraziC (25 posts) -
I have the same problem and i don't think its caused by overheating cause my ps3 is out in the open. When it shuts off i can let it sit for hours and try again and it immediately shuts off without even booting at all. My friends ps3 is crammed into a spot just big enough to fit the ps3 ,no room to even move it from side to side,and he doesn't have this problem.
#24 Posted by BigBoss1992 (231 posts) -
Could be the PS3 power saving menu see if it's not on Auto shutdown.
#25 Posted by Dante590 (25 posts) -
its not overheating mines been doing the same thing just go take it to get fixed thats caused by playing alot on the ps3........
#26 Posted by ioannisdenton (2058 posts) -

well it is supposed to do everything....

#27 Posted by Edogmonkey1 (25 posts) -
Mine does same thing when I hook it up into my car. I can watch a vid but when I start up a game 30 seconds later it shuts off
#28 Posted by JoKeR_421 (8920 posts) -
Mine does same thing when I hook it up into my car. I can watch a vid but when I start up a game 30 seconds later it shuts offEdogmonkey1
good god man, why post in a 3 year old thread?
#29 Posted by masserati (66 posts) -

Its becoming selfaware. I fear the worst for me as my ps3 did actually boot up at 4am and download everything i needed and shut off at 6am. (ps plus ftw) Whats stopping it from killing me?

#30 Posted by Furkan74 (25 posts) -
I have the same problem, but with a ps3 game (mass effect 2)... Soo it shuts itself down for safety.. is it harmfull for my ps3? I just got it for like a month or so.. so I'm really frustrated..
#31 Posted by Furkan74 (25 posts) -
well it shuts down after 4 minutes and at the auto shutdown menu you can choose for 1 hour min. + it says when you are inactive on the ps3.. This doesn't happen when I'm inactive.. it happens while I'm playing
#32 Posted by Ninja_Zombie83 (1893 posts) -
Maybe you need a break and your PS3 is trying to help you out ;)
#33 Posted by hotfiree (2185 posts) -

My PS3 shut down 4 times earlier today. I started a PS2 game and within 2 minutes, the PS3 made a weird beeping noise and shut down. The red light was flashing. I can restart the PS3 but the same thing would happen within minutes.

It may be related to overheating but it's not that hot to the touch and I only played for about 3 minutes. My PS3 is in a shelf in my TV stand but the front is completely open. There is no door at the front. The back only has holes for the wires. I took it out of the shelf and put it side down on the floor with a ventilator blowing directly on it. It did not shut down after that.

Is overheating the problem?

shogoh
Only the front has air? You realize it has like 3 or 4 sides with fans and vents? It needs way more air to breathe. Just because its not hot to touch, doesnt mean its not cooking on the inside. Feel the bottom of it, if its laying horizontally I bet its very hot there.
#34 Posted by hotfiree (2185 posts) -
Damnit, didnt notice how old this tread is damn bumpers. His ps3 is probably dead by now.
#35 Posted by ultimameteora (2573 posts) -
If this happens then your PS3 has overheated best to find the cause of it because if it keeps doing this you will get the yellow light and it will no longer work.