My PS3 got the YLOD, but I FIXED it!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stryder_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Stryder_18
Member since 2004 • 942 Posts

I have a launch 60gig PS3 and just the other day the poor old girl died on me. So after doing research on the YLOD I found some solutions like send it to Sony and whatever. But I eventually stumbled upon a sure fix method, that involves you to taking apart the precious PS3 and resurecting it from the grave yourself with the a little help from a heat gun and some thermal compound! So if your PS3 ever dies heres thevideo link on how to fix ithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU. I did this and my PS3's running great now! It's essentially the same method used to fix 360's. So I hope this gives help and hope to others that have this problem or have this problem in the future! Happy Gaming People!!!!

AfgZeroVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AfgZeroVirus
Member since 2007 • 631 Posts

Yeah my short term memory has gone to the crapper so knowing which part goes where and what screw went where i think i woudl rather send it to sony. And if it still doesnt work after that sony would be responsible so personally i would dish out the 150 for repairs.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Instantly bookmarked. thank you so much!

some people are probably too chicken, to open their Playstation 3 up.

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

Awesome! I'll keep that in mind just incase.:D

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 samuraiguns

Yeah my short term memory has gone to the crapper so knowing which part goes where and what screw went where i think i woudl rather send it to sony. And if it still doesnt work after that sony would be responsible so personally i would dish out the 150 for repairs.

AfgZeroVirus
lol, you can send it to sony even if you busted it up.
AfgZeroVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AfgZeroVirus
Rather not waste my time. :D
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
I'd rather just let Sony take care of it.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
You'll pay the same amount even if you intentionally broke it... you might aswell attempt to fix it yourself first. I've already got that same video bookmarked, but thanks nonetheless.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 raven_squad
Rather not waste my time. :DAfgZeroVirus
Your not... your saving $150...
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Doolz2024
You'll pay the same amount even if you intentionally broke it... you might aswell attempt to fix it yourself first. I've already got that same video bookmarked, but thanks nonetheless. raven_squad
I don't care. I'm not taking any chances if my PS3 ever dies. It's going straight to Sony! :P
seannn199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 seannn199
Member since 2008 • 1137 Posts

yeah i seen this a long time ago caus eit was on some users fav for youtube video

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 samuraiguns
[QUOTE="raven_squad"]You'll pay the same amount even if you intentionally broke it... you might aswell attempt to fix it yourself first. I've already got that same video bookmarked, but thanks nonetheless. Doolz2024
I don't care. I'm not taking any chances if my PS3 ever dies. It's going straight to Sony! :P

lol, it is this ignorance that fattens up SONY's wallet.
AfgZeroVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AfgZeroVirus
[QUOTE="raven_squad"]You'll pay the same amount even if you intentionally broke it... you might aswell attempt to fix it yourself first. I've already got that same video bookmarked, but thanks nonetheless. Doolz2024

Thank You!!! About time someone understands.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 raven_squad
[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="raven_squad"]You'll pay the same amount even if you intentionally broke it... you might aswell attempt to fix it yourself first. I've already got that same video bookmarked, but thanks nonetheless. AfgZeroVirus

If you don't fix it....YOU PAY THE SAME AMOUNT and they fix it. What exactly do you have to lose?
AfgZeroVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AfgZeroVirus

Why can't i just send it in? I dont care about the 150 as long as i know it will be fixed.

R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R0rschach-
Member since 2009 • 1482 Posts

Why can't i just send it in? I dont care about the 150 as long as i know it will be fixed.

AfgZeroVirus

Well what if you could actually fix it yourself? You spare yourself the wait, and $150, which could go to better causes like games for your PS3.

Avatar image for Kid_Notorious07
Kid_Notorious07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kid_Notorious07
Member since 2009 • 437 Posts

hed had to buy a heat gun and all kinda other bs id rather send it n

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Doolz2024
[QUOTE="AfgZeroVirus"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"]I don't care. I'm not taking any chances if my PS3 ever dies. It's going straight to Sony! :Praven_squad

If you don't fix it....YOU PAY THE SAME AMOUNT and they fix it. What exactly do you have to lose?

YES I KNOW. I don't mind sending it in to Sony if my PS3 dies. I don't care about trying to fix it myself. I'd rather let Sony handle it.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 raven_squad

[QUOTE="AfgZeroVirus"]

R0rschach-

Well what if you could actually fix it yourself? You spare yourself the wait, and $150, which could go to better causes like games for your PS3.

Yes. Besides, its not really a matter of not knowing whether or not its fixed. If you fail, you pay the $150 and its fixed anyways. :P
AfgZeroVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AfgZeroVirus
[QUOTE="R0rschach-"]

[QUOTE="AfgZeroVirus"]

Well for starters i dont get that much playing time anymore on my playstation3 and i would rather not touch it and accidently screw something up and 150 dollars is not a big deal for me.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 raven_squad
[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="AfgZeroVirus"] Thank You!!! About time someone understands.

YES I KNOW. I don't mind sending it in to Sony if my PS3 dies. I don't care about trying to fix it myself. I'd rather let Sony handle it.

I guess I just can't wrap my mind around essentially the waste of $150. :P
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Doolz2024
[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="raven_squad"] If you don't fix it....YOU PAY THE SAME AMOUNT and they fix it. What exactly do you have to lose?

I have no problem paying $150. I'd rather just go ahead and send it to Sony, KNOW THAT IT WILL COME BACK TO ME FIXED, and go from there, rather than trying some self-repair tactic that may or may not work.
R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R0rschach-

[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"]YES I KNOW. I don't mind sending it in to Sony if my PS3 dies. I don't care about trying to fix it myself. I'd rather let Sony handle it.Doolz2024

I have no problem paying $150. I'd rather just go ahead and send it to Sony, KNOW THAT IT WILL COME BACK TO ME FIXED, and go from there, rather than trying some self-repair tactic that may or may not work.

Yeah, but there's alwasy that chance it'll work, and that will save you a hassle. Like raven said, if it DOESNT work, then hell, just send it back to Sony, and they'll fix it for you.

AfgZeroVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AfgZeroVirus

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="raven_squad"] I guess I just can't wrap my mind around essentially the waste of $150. :P R0rschach-

Yeah, but there's alwasy that chance it'll work, and that will save you a hassle. Like raven said, if it DOESNT work, then hell, just send it back to Sony, and they'll fix it for you.

What if i don't want to TRY fixing it myself?
R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R0rschach-

[QUOTE="R0rschach-"]

[QUOTE="AfgZeroVirus"]

AfgZeroVirus

Well for starters i dont get that much playing time anymore on my playstation3 and i would rather not touch it and accidently screw something up and 150 dollars is not a big deal for me.

Well if you have YLOD, how can you screw it up anymore? And even if you do mess up something, Sony will still fix it for $150 regardless.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 raven_squad
[QUOTE="R0rschach-"]

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]I have no problem paying $150. I'd rather just go ahead and send it to Sony, KNOW THAT IT WILL COME BACK TO ME FIXED, and go from there, rather than trying some self-repair tactic that may or may not work. AfgZeroVirus

Then you may suffer from terminal laziness.
R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R0rschach-

[QUOTE="AfgZeroVirus"][QUOTE="R0rschach-"]

raven_squad

Then you may suffer from terminal laziness.

LMAO

R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R0rschach-

Really, if you can't even muster enough effort to even ATTEMPT to revive your PS3, let alone even play with it at all, then why the hell do you own one, or would even bother to dish out $150 for Sony to fix it?

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Doolz2024

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="raven_squad"] I guess I just can't wrap my mind around essentially the waste of $150. :P R0rschach-

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT TRYING TO FIX IT MYSELF. PAYING $150 AND WAITING 2 OR 3 WEEKS TO GET IT BACK FROM BEING REPAIRED BY SONY IS WHAT I'D RATHER DO.

Plus, say I DID manage to repair my PS3 by doing what they say in that video. How long is the PS3 going to work after that? I'd rather just go ahead and send it in, get a PS3 back that was repaired by people that know what they're doing, instead of sitting there with my self-repaired PS3 wondering when it's gonna break again, because in all likelihood, it wouldn't be long before the PS3 was getting the YLOD again...

TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

Good info.....

LOL, people complain on here about .99 cent and $4.99 add ons and games, and now everyone is just saying of I will thow down 150 like that if it is a legit method

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 raven_squad

[QUOTE="R0rschach-"]

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]I have no problem paying $150. I'd rather just go ahead and send it to Sony, KNOW THAT IT WILL COME BACK TO ME FIXED, and go from there, rather than trying some self-repair tactic that may or may not work. Doolz2024

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT TRYING TO FIX IT MYSELF. PAYING $150 AND WAITING 2 OR 3 WEEKS TO GET IT BACK FROM BEING REPAIRED BY SONY IS WHAT I'D RATHER DO.

Plus, say I DID manage to repair my PS3 by doing what they say in that video. How long is the PS3 going to work after that? I'd rather just go ahead and send it in, get a PS3 back that was repaired by people that know what they're doing, instead of sitting there with my self-repaired PS3 wondering when it's gonna break again, because in all likelihood, it wouldn't be long before the PS3 was getting the YLOD again...

Then you send it in. At least you have tried. You can say "well damn. I tried." Besides, theres no guarantee it won't happen again when Sony fixes it. I've seen numerous times when peoples repaired units get the YLOD again.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 samuraiguns

Good info.....

LOL, people complain on here about .99 cent and $4.99 add ons and games, and now everyone is just saying of I will thow down 150 like that if it is a legit method

TJSAGE
LMAO, this answer is teh win.
AfgZeroVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AfgZeroVirus

Really, if you can't even muster enough effort to even ATTEMPT to revive your PS3, let alone even play with it at all, then why the hell do you own one, or would even bother to dish out $150 for Sony to fix it?

R0rschach-
Because i know it will come back fixed. On top of that i have a 60gb launch model and it's still working perfectly. I take care of stuff, on top of that i have never had a problem with sony products.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
[QUOTE="samuraiguns"][QUOTE="TJSAGE"]

Good info.....

LMAO, this answer is teh win.

No kidding. :lol:
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Doolz2024

Good info.....

TJSAGE
I've never complained about any of that.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
Someone posted a video like this earlier this year. Its good that someone found a way to fix it but i would rather have my system sent into sony.
AfgZeroVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AfgZeroVirus
[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="TJSAGE"]

Good info.....

Same here, they are running out of rebuttals so they are starting to mention other whiney gamers on this site by relating us to them.
freham2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 freham2001
Member since 2004 • 2719 Posts
Oh snap! Awesome. My friends ps3 has had the ylod for several months now but he hasnt had the extra money to send it in to sony because he just moved into a new apartment....Totally going to try this.
R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R0rschach-

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="TJSAGE"]

Good info.....

AfgZeroVirus

Same here, they are running out of rebuttals so they are starting to mention other whiney gamers on this site by relating us to them.

Rebuttals? No. Its just that arguing any further is pointless. I and others simply attempted to show you our perspective on the situation... But you clearly dont want it anymore, so we've stopped.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
[QUOTE="AfgZeroVirus"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="TJSAGE"]

Good info.....

The argument wasn't going anywhere. Instead of going back and forth endlessly you should just drop it.
AfgZeroVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AfgZeroVirus

Thanks for trying to make me see the other side to it though.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

[QUOTE="AfgZeroVirus"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"]I've never complained about any of that.R0rschach-

Rebuttals? No. Its just that arguing any further is pointless. I and others simply attempted to show you our perspective on the situation... But you clearly dont want it anymore, so we've stopped.

Wow they did not accept your point of view.... it must be the end of the world. It is almost like people have different opinions and when people try to force theirs upon others people tend to never accept theirs. By trying to force your opinion/view on someone they will now not agree with you. They think it is just better to send it in the sony.... there is nothing wrong with that. You believe it is better to try it yourself and if it doesn't work then you send it into sony.... nothing wrong with that either. So why did you have to tell them they should do it your way? Why not say you guys can do this and try to save some money.... if they say they would rather do it the other way then move on. You voiced your opinion and they wanted to follow their own. Instead you tried to shove it down their throat that they are wrong.

You say you tried showing them your perspective and to a point you did. The first post you talked about it you did, but by saying it over and over again to try and get them to understand you stopped caring about their opinion and started trying to force them into your opinion. I find people that do that to be much worse than people that follow their own opinion and just try to defend it rather than force it upon someone else.

To be honest i find both solutions to good. For people that are willing to take a chance then try it your way, but for others that either are not tech savvy or want a professional to to it rather than them they both are good choices and neither is wrong or worse. I am just waiting for the person with a warranty to try this (my guess is there are stickers or a point that if removed/entered voids a warranty). Then i can smile because guess who i could blame for that one...........

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Doolz2024

[QUOTE="R0rschach-"]

[QUOTE="AfgZeroVirus"] Same here, they are running out of rebuttals so they are starting to mention other whiney gamers on this site by relating us to them.Agent_Kaliaver

Wow they did not accept your point of view.... it must be the end of the world. It is almost like people have different opinions and when people try to force theirs upon others people tend to never accept theirs. By trying to force your opinion/view on someone they will now not agree with you. They think it is just better to send it in the sony.... there is nothing wrong with that. You believe it is better to try it yourself and if it doesn't work then you send it into sony.... nothing wrong with that either. So why did you have to tell them they should do it your way? Why not say you guys can do this and try to save some money.... if they say they would rather do it the other way then move on. You voiced your opinion and they wanted to follow their own. Instead you tried to shove it down their throat that they are wrong.

You say you tried showing them your perspective and to a point you did. The first post you talked about it you did, but by saying it over and over again to try and get them to understand you stopped caring about their opinion and started trying to force them into your opinion. I find people that do that to be much worse than people that follow their own opinion and just try to defend it rather than force it upon someone else.

To be honest i find both solutions to good. For people that are willing to take a chance then try it your way, but for others that either are not tech savvy or want a professional to to it rather than them they both are good choices and neither is wrong or worse. I am just waiting for the person with a warranty to try this (my guess is there are stickers or a point that if removed/entered voids a warranty). Then i can smile because guess who i could blame for that one...........

Thank you!!! Most sensible post in this thread.
lpeter31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lpeter31
Member since 2009 • 298 Posts

Instantly bookmarked. thank you so much!

some people are probably too chicken, to open their Playstation 3 up.

samuraiguns
I'm definitely too chicken to open mine up if it died
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 samuraiguns

[QUOTE="R0rschach-"]

[QUOTE="AfgZeroVirus"] Same here, they are running out of rebuttals so they are starting to mention other whiney gamers on this site by relating us to them.Agent_Kaliaver

This is a forum, which is where a mass of collectiove opinions gather together, to feud outstreched beliefs.

Where there are opinions, there will always be conflict.

AfgZeroVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AfgZeroVirus

Yeah but there was no conflict here and doolz and I both stated that we would rather pay the 150... so i really dont find your above comment valid.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 samuraiguns

Yeah but there was no conflict here and doolz and I both stated that we would rather pay the 150... so i really dont find your above comment valid.

AfgZeroVirus
he was talking about R0rschach.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

[QUOTE="R0rschach-"]

High Five!
Stryder_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Stryder_18
Member since 2004 • 942 Posts

Heat Guns only run you about $20-$30 but I didn't have to pay for mine, because where I work at during they summer they had one, andthey just let me borrow theirs, which was cool. The only other thing you need to buy is thermal compound which is like $5-$10. I bought my thermal compound at Radio Shack so thats one place where you could get it.

If you don't want to repair your PS3 yourself and send it to Sony that's fine, I had to do that with my PS2 once. I was just looking for a low cost and fast way to fix my PS3 and stumbled upon this, and I was just letting others know about it because it works.

Airek49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 Airek49
Member since 2003 • 1081 Posts
Not to mention the time it takes. I could run through these steps in a few hours at the most opposed to getting my PS3 back in two weeks from Sony.