My ps3 doesn't recognize my external hard drive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Deaho
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

My dad gave me a 40gb external hard drive yesterday ,I formated to FAT32 with one of the programs bec windows 7 doesn't allow me to format it to FAT32 then after I did format it my ps3 doesn't recognize or see it.

is there any one had this problem before ,or any one could help me please

Thanks

Deaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Deaho

any help please

smsnsimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 smsnsimba
Member since 2006 • 139 Posts

any help please

Deaho
Ise an external hard drive regularly. If you're configured to FAT32, you shouldn't be having any problems. Weird.
Deaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Deaho

[QUOTE="Deaho"]

any help please

smsnsimba

Ise an external hard drive regularly. If you're configured to FAT32, you shouldn't be having any problems. Weird.

yah,I was surprised too when ever I saw my ps3 can't recognize it makes me sad as well :(.

sturshel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 sturshel
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts

My dad gave me a 40gb external hard drive yesterday ,I formated to FAT32 with one of the programs bec windows 7 doesn't allow me to format it to FAT32 then after I did format it my ps3 doesn't recognize or see it.

Thanks

Deaho

Look, I aint a tech head, but have been experiencing the same problems with mine, so my research on the net has lead me to believe that windows will only format a drive up to 32 gigs. This is a windows limit and not a limit of the Fat 32.

In order for you to do what you need to do - you gotta download a program like SwissKnife (new versions are not free any more), but the link to an older but free version is:

http://www.compuapps.com/download/Swissknife/swissknife.htm

Also before use - you might want to read this article - plus it has extra links:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/large-external-usb-hard-drive-fat32-format-utility/

Otherwise try EASEUS.

Dude I hope that this helps?!!! Let me know?

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

try exFat instead

Deaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Deaho

[QUOTE="Deaho"]

Thanks

sturshel

Look, I aint a tech head, but have been experiencing the same problems with mine, so my research on the net has lead me to believe that windows will only format a drive up to 32 gigs. This is a windows limit and not a limit of the Fat 32.

In order for you to do what you need to do - you gotta download a program like SwissKnife (new versions are not free any more), but the link to an older but free version is:

http://www.compuapps.com/download/Swissknife/swissknife.htm

Also before use - you might want to read this article - plus it has extra links:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/large-external-usb-hard-drive-fat32-format-utility/

Otherwise try EASEUS.

Dude I hope that this helps?!!! Let me know?

I used a program calledMiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition and formated to fat32 with allocation size 32 and still the ps3 doesn't read it the other 2 programs that u gave me in the links doesn't work with windows 7

sturshel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 sturshel
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts

Alas, dude - like I said I aint a tech head, sorry man... hope that you get it right.....

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
Try EASEUS, worked great for me and it's very ease to use.
Deaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Deaho

Alas, dude - like I said I aint a tech head, sorry man... hope that you get it right.....

sturshel

I think I knew the problem man ,the problem of the ps3 is same as the windows bec when ever I formatted my hard drive to 37gb FAT32 it doesn't work so I made the drive 2 partitions one is 31gb FAT32 and the other is the remainingwhich is 7gb NTFS,I tried to make 2 partitions as FAT32 but sadly the ps3 reads only one but thank Allah now it works fine,thanks you so much man for trying to help really appreciateit :)