My PS3 choked and died.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheCraving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheCraving
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts

Or atleast I think it has. I was just hoping someone could shed some light on the matter for me. Its what people call 'The Yellow Light of Death', basically I turn it on, it flashes yellow, bleeps and shuts down. And Fallout 3 is stuck in there (some people have told me it 'bored' the PS3 to death, ugh) so I'm left with a shiny black box on my desk.

So whats the problem? Has it over-heated? Has the HDD broke? I've read online of peoples theories to what it is I'm completely lost. So if someone knows what the problem I'd much appreciate the info. Cheers!

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
how long have u had the console for? ive not owned a ps3 but i think it means theres some sort of internal damage there. If its under warrenty then your proberbly better off just getting the console sent back and replaced, at least thats how it was with my 360, i dont know what sony do but id imagine its simular
Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
basically its overheated and a certain component has detached itself from another component. Sorry i can't remember what but your going to have to send it in to Sony or buy a heat gun and get on youtube!
TheCraving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheCraving

Had the console 15 months. I make sure its ventilated an all that. It was a 40GB model and they're apprently the worst model. Not yet phoned Sony but will be doing tomorrow.

Goldglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Goldglove
Member since 2003 • 508 Posts
It's over 12 months so you will have to pay $150 (us dollars) and they will give you back the game. Just remember to tell them your game is in there, and put it on the form you have to fill out.
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
considering how much these consoles cost, you would surely thing they would be a lot more durable than they are. Disgrace if you ask me, I had my PS2 slimline in 2005 and its still going strong today
Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
40gb worst? I haven't heard that lol, i've heard the 60gb is the worst. As for it being durable, the ps3 is extremely durable with a low failure rate. We're just unlucky.
TheCraving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheCraving

Oh well. Cheers for the info guys. Will bephoning Sony tomorrow to get it sorted. £150? Oh joy :P

Goldglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Goldglove
Yeah, you really picked a rare one if you get a YLOD, because the failure rate of the PS3 is small. You should go out and buy a lottery ticket if you get one. You may choose another rare one ;P
demonfox661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 demonfox661
Member since 2009 • 97 Posts
i got my ps3 80GB sunday and its great it freezes sometimes when i play saints row 2 can some1 help out with that?
Goldglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Goldglove
weird, if that is the only game that is doing that, I would switch it. Good luck with that.