My opinion on Ubisoft - people need to lighten up on them

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jshigashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jshigashi
Member since 2007 • 528 Posts

As far as I know, Ubisoft has had two ports to the PS3.

One was excellent (Oblivion... admittedly, I am not sure how Bethesda is involved in the port and the game overall, but the bottom line is Oblivion is an Ubisoft game)

And the other was terrible (SCDA)

Now the other problem is that games are getting pushed back in getting released.  They have admitted they are having problems porting games and coding for the PS3... and they aren't the only ones.  Throw in that Xbox traditionally has more of a FPS user base and that the Clancy series sells well on that console, combined with a limited user base on the PS3 right now, well it's just business.   But fanboys are taking it personally.

For me, I don't get caught up in the fanboy war, I don't see why anyone would.  FEAR supposedly was an inferior port.  Do you think I care?  Nope, I had never played it and am having a ton fun with it.  Maybe Rainbow 6 won't be as good on PS3.  Who cares, it doesn't mean it still wouldn't be fun.  If no one buys there games, then they maybe they will just become exclusive with XBox.  Then I will be out of what will probably be fun games, and have to lsiten to people whine about exclusivity.

Keasy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Keasy4
Member since 2003 • 16843 Posts
i think Bethesda are the producer of the game and ubisoft just gave money for them to either make the game or distribute it.. they had no part of the making of the game..
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mmirza23
Member since 2004 • 3457 Posts

One was excellent (Oblivion... admittedly, I am not sure how Bethesda is involved in the port and the game overall, but the bottom line is Oblivion is an Ubisoft game)

Now the other problem is that games are getting pushed back in getting released.  They have admitted they are having problems porting games and coding for the PS3... and they aren't the only ones.  Throw in that Xbox traditionally has more of a FPS user base and that the Clancy series sells well on that console, combined with a limited user base on the PS3 right now, well it's just business.   But fanboys are taking it personally.

For me, I don't get caught up in the fanboy war, I don't see why anyone would.  FEAR supposedly was an inferior port.  Do you think I care?  Nope, I had never played it and am having a ton fun with it.  Maybe Rainbow 6 won't be as good on PS3.  Who cares, it doesn't mean it still wouldn't be fun.  If no one buys there games, then they maybe they will just become exclusive with XBox.  Then I will be out of what will probably be fun games, and have to lsiten to people whine about exclusivity.

jshigashi
bethesda ported the game, they are the ones that get all the credit ubisoft had nothing to do with it.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts

Bethesda did all the work for Oblivion. Ubisoft just published it in Europe. So no don't give ubisoft credit for Oblivion.

Ubisoft has done bad work on the ps3.

MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

jshigashi

WOW...what a rant!!!

risi37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 risi37
Member since 2005 • 4542 Posts
ubi sucks at porting
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts

As far as I know, Ubisoft has had two ports to the PS3.

Now the other problem is that games are getting pushed back in getting released. They have admitted they are having problems porting games and coding for the PS3... and they aren't the only ones. Throw in that Xbox traditionally has more of a FPS user base and that the Clancy series sells well on that console, combined with a limited user base on the PS3 right now, well it's just business. But fanboys are taking it personally.

For me, I don't get caught up in the fanboy war, I don't see why anyone would. FEAR supposedly was an inferior port. Do you think I care? Nope, I had never played it and am having a ton fun with it. Maybe Rainbow 6 won't be as good on PS3. Who cares, it doesn't mean it still wouldn't be fun. If no one buys there games, then they maybe they will just become exclusive with XBox. Then I will be out of what will probably be fun games, and have to lsiten to people whine about exclusivity.

jshigashi

Don't forget about Blazing Angels.  another horrible port. 

and about Oblivion, Bethesda developed the game.  UbiSoft only published the game.  they had nothing to do with the development. 

BIGDEE06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BIGDEE06
Member since 2006 • 2322 Posts
ubi sucks at portingrisi37
They've only ported one game to the PS3.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 eclipsed4utoo

[QUOTE="risi37"]ubi sucks at portingBIGDEE06

they have ported two.

Blazing Angels
Splinter Cell: Double Agent

mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mmirza23
[QUOTE="risi37"]ubi sucks at portingBIGDEE06

do you not remember the ghost recon ports to anything but 360?? good lord. the splintercell ports to ps2 were also pretty bad. they just have a bad history of it.
deadkingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deadkingdg
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

If a game is good, I'll get it. No matter by who it is made or on which other consoles it is. Simple as that.

The opposite is also true. I wouldn't buy a game only because it's made by a certain company.  

jshigashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jshigashi

My bad on Oblivion... but you guys are missing my point.  I'm saying it's not about the port being bad, it's about the game being good.  What would you rather have, a 7.9 Splinter Cell DA that still got a decent rating... maybe not as good as the 360, but a fun game nonethelss.  The ports for the 2k games aren't as good as the 360 version either, but they are still good games nonetheless.

My whole point summed up:  Don't not buy a game because it's a bad port, don't buy it because it's a bad game.  I'll take a 8.0 badly ported Splinter Cell over a crappy Dark Kingdom game any day of the week.

The_Todd_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Todd_5
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts

My bad on Oblivion... but you guys are missing my point. I'm saying it's not about the port being bad, it's about the game being good. What would you rather have, a 7.9 Splinter Cell DA that still got a decent rating... maybe not as good as the 360, but a fun game nonethelss. The ports for the 2k games aren't as good as the 360 version either, but they are still good games nonetheless.

My whole point summed up: Don't not buy a game because it's a bad port, don't buy it because it's a bad game. I'll take a 8.0 badly ported Splinter Cell over a crappy Dark Kingdom game any day of the week.

jshigashi

I'd rather have a better port.

See: Oblivion. 

ex-paranoia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ex-paranoia
Member since 2003 • 331 Posts

Ubisoft doesn't have anymore excuses for horrid ports. There have been many DevKits in addition to the Playstation 3 Edge, that have been released to aid developers in porting games from console to console. The tools are at their disposal. Horrible ports from here on, are solely the fault of the developers, no more excuses. They have the tools, but do they have the skill?

spliffchillum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 spliffchillum
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts

My 2cents is that I expect quality for what I pay for. If I purchased a set of tires and they went bald after 1000 miles, and I told more people about it and others purchased the same tires and they too went bald after 1000 miles, people have the right to rant and complain about the quality of the craftmanship from the said company. Ubisoft is being lazy and because the userbase is lower than that of the Xbox's, they dont put in the major effort to port correctly.. why bother? in their eyes,  it's not worth it considering the small userbase of Ps3 consoles.. It is just business, but we have a right to complain and not purchase from them. That's why we are called "consumers".

I really do hope that GRAW2 and R6-vegas are both good ports.. Ubisoft will nail their coffin closed if those 2 ports are horrible.. I for sure wont purchase any more ubisoft games.. why should I? to get a horrible port of a game from a technologically inferior console but on that console the game looks/plays better? that's a slap in the face.

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 eclipsed4utoo

My bad on Oblivion... but you guys are missing my point. I'm saying it's not about the port being bad, it's about the game being good. What would you rather have, a 7.9 Splinter Cell DA that still got a decent rating... maybe not as good as the 360, but a fun game nonethelss. The ports for the 2k games aren't as good as the 360 version either, but they are still good games nonetheless.

My whole point summed up: Don't not buy a game because it's a bad port, don't buy it because it's a bad game. I'll take a 8.0 badly ported Splinter Cell over a crappy Dark Kingdom game any day of the week.

jshigashi

you are missing the point.  Other developers aren't having problems porting....look at Oblivion. 

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 eclipsed4utoo

Ubisoft doesn't have anymore excuses for horrid ports. There have been many DevKits in addition to the Playstation 3 Edge, that have been released to aid developers in porting games from console to console. The tools are at their disposal. Horrible ports from here on, are solely the fault of the developers, no more excuses. They have the tools, but do they have the skill?

ex-paranoia

agreed.  I won't call UbiSoft lazy, because they could be trying the best they can.  I will, however, call them incompetent since they still haven't been able to get any kind of hold on the PS3's architecture.  They have had just as long as all the other developers...probably longer.  Yet other developers have been doing good with the PS3.

If your developers can't adapt to code changes, then they don't need to be working in the video game industry. 

E_x_i_l_e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 E_x_i_l_e
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts
I won't lighten up on Ubisoft until they prove that they can port to ps3 right without all the technical and visual problems that shoot down the game. If Vegas and GRAW2 don't deliver, I'm not going to bother buying games from them on PS3. Thankfully I have a 360 though. I never bought those games yet for these following reasons: I want to see if the PS3 version (though unlikely) turn out better, and if they don't I'll wait and buy them for 360 when they're cheaper.
slikMotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 slikMotion
Member since 2003 • 2820 Posts
Ubi is not some small player in the business.  They have great resources, and as such, they have little excuses for bad or even average ports.  Its a bad reflection on their company because all it really tells me is that they just want to cash in on a second platform without going thru the pains rebuilding a game from scratch to fully utilize that second platform's strengths. I buy games on a whim often, but I would take an extra look at any Ubi game before deciding.
The_Tombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 The_Tombo
Member since 2005 • 3537 Posts

If a game is good, I'll get it. No matter by who it is made or on which other consoles it is. Simple as that.

The opposite is also true. I wouldn't buy a game only because it's made by a certain company.

deadkingdg

Agreed. This is common sense i think.. You say don't buy their games because they won't try harder... They will if they realise you are only buying their good games. 

jshigashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jshigashi

The_Tombo

That's exactly what I am saying too.  You can say that it is an inferior port, yes.  But that inferior port scored in the 8 range.  Sorry but that is a good game that I personally want an option of buying.  Like I said, I had fun with FEAR... bad port or not. 

And don't forget... these are games that were ALREADY developed for other consoles without any practical experience on how programming would be for the PS3.  They could not have had any extensive knowledge of the PS3 in mind when originally building these games, and I am sure it is a problem in porting them.  Is it possible to do the better port, yes.  But in a game like Oblivion... which has incredible slow action and movement in my opinion, versus a shooter that is much faster paced, welll I for one can see that it could easily be more difficult to do certain things as far as that port is cocnerned. 

This is especially since they aren't the only developer that is having issues with programming.  People are burning them at the stake for one game and a couple of game delays.  Heck, games made exclusively for Sony are getting delayed... even games made by Sony themselves (The Show).

The_Todd_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Todd_5
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts

But in a game like Oblivion... which has incredible slow action and movement in my opinion, versus a shooter that is much faster paced, welll I for one can see that it could easily be more difficult to do certain things as far as that port is cocnernedjshigashi

Or we could go in this direction: if Bethesda was able to optimize the port of such a massive, beautiful game then why can't other developers do the same with their smaller, less-impressive games?

Answer: laziness or stupidity.

Both are not good. 

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 D_Znuhtz
Member since 2004 • 2276 Posts

[QUOTE="BIGDEE06"][QUOTE="risi37"]ubi sucks at portingeclipsed4utoo

they have ported two.

Blazing Angels

FEAR? 

guyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 guyhunter
Member since 2004 • 3691 Posts
You wont see me picking just on Ubisoft.  Which ever companies decided to release cr@ppy games (not just ports) won't be getting my money. 
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts

Bethesda did all the work for Oblivion. Ubisoft just published it in Europe. So no don't give ubisoft credit for Oblivion.

Ubisoft has done bad work on the ps3.

Krigon

BINGO!!!!

jshigashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jshigashi

You wont see me picking just on Ubisoft.  Which ever companies decided to release cr@ppy games (not just ports) won't be getting my money. guyhunter

That's my point, is has not been reviewed as a bad game by any stretch.  Splinter Cell was rated as a good game along the 8.0 lines by a lot of reviews.  Heck, they rated it better than Motorstorm here at Gamespot.  People can sit there and cry about ports, but I am saying is I want an 8.0 bad port over no port at all.  And if no one buys games from Ubisoft, thats' what will happen.  People need to remove anything to do with the 360 at all and think of games on it's own merit alone.

deadhead127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deadhead127
Member since 2006 • 594 Posts

My 2cents is that I expect quality for what I pay for. If I purchased a set of tires and they went bald after 1000 miles, and I told more people about it and others purchased the same tires and they too went bald after 1000 miles, people have the right to rant and complain about the quality of the craftmanship from the said company. Ubisoft is being lazy and because the userbase is lower than that of the Xbox's, they dont put in the major effort to port correctly.. why bother? in their eyes,  it's not worth it considering the small userbase of Ps3 consoles.. It is just business, but we have a right to complain and not purchase from them. That's why we are called "consumers".

I really do hope that GRAW2 and R6-vegas are both good ports.. Ubisoft will nail their coffin closed if those 2 ports are horrible.. I for sure wont purchase any more ubisoft games.. why should I? to get a horrible port of a game from a technologically inferior console but on that console the game looks/plays better? that's a slap in the face.

spliffchillum

spliffchillum

I agree 100%.

deadhead127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deadhead127
Member since 2006 • 594 Posts

[QUOTE="guyhunter"]You wont see me picking just on Ubisoft.  Which ever companies decided to release cr@ppy games (not just ports) won't be getting my money. jshigashi

That's my point, is has not been reviewed as a bad game by any stretch.  Splinter Cell was rated as a good game along the 8.0 lines by a lot of reviews.  Heck, they rated it better than Motorstorm here at Gamespot.  People can sit there and cry about ports, but I am saying is I want an 8.0 bad port over no port at all.  And if no one buys games from Ubisoft, thats' what will happen.  People need to remove anything to do with the 360 at all and think of games on it's own merit alone.

Thats not the point. If they're going to to make a port they shouldnt half ass it and not make it at least of the same quality. They're just being lazy and making a crappy port and not trying because they know they'll make as much money with a worse port than with a better one.

Crystall3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Crystall3d
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts

it does not matter if they had any work involved in PORTING games ,   UBI soft  is the publisher so it's their job to check the quality of the games before adding their LOGO on it.

EA is a publisher too but they just dont send checks around, they alter any game they acquire like "burnout 3-4-5 series" ,

how different they stand from burnout 2, the non-ea published game....i am not saying it became alot better as i am a fan of simplicity but one thing is nice here.

You can guess it s EA published game without watching the intro. 

junk56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 junk56
Member since 2003 • 1748 Posts
[QUOTE="jshigashi"]

eclipsed4utoo

you are missing the point. Other developers aren't having problems porting....look at Oblivion.

dude YOU are missing the point. each game is 60 friggin bucks and if you can get a better decent game for half the price on the 360, what's the point of getting it on ps3? i dont care if its a good game on barebone or crap like that but if you can get the same game better on another console and lower price, why should i touch it on the ps3 then? If they can't even port a simple game to on par standards they're not getting my money. 

junk56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 junk56
Member since 2003 • 1748 Posts
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"]

[QUOTE="BIGDEE06"][QUOTE="risi37"]ubi sucks at portingD_Znuhtz

they have ported two.

Blazing Angels

FEAR?

that was vivendi. the port to 360 was horrible as well. shouldve kept it as pc exclusive. developers these days.. 

Xanog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 Xanog1
Member since 2004 • 12332 Posts

Ubisoft was only involved in the European distribution of Oblivion, they had no involvement in the game's development, it was Bethesda who actually put in an effort as opposed to assuming that a fanbase who willingly spends $600 on a videogame system, will stand for some low-quality port.

I'll lighten up on Ubisoft when they start releasing games on PS3 of good quality, and actually show off these games prior to release (DMC2-style marketing is a very bad thing), until then, they won't get respect from me, in regards to the "new-gen" games.

For all the people who hav aneurisms whenever Sony says or does something, and feel the need to flame them like crazy, I think it's aceptable for me to be displeased with a company's complete disregard for certain versions of their games.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Ubisoft was only involved in the European distribution of Oblivion, they had no involvement in the game's development, it was Bethesda who actually put in an effort as opposed to assuming that a fanbase who willingly spends $600 on a videogame system, will stand for some low-quality port.

I'll lighten up on Ubisoft when they start releasing games on PS3 of good quality, and actually show off these games prior to release (DMC2-style marketing is a very bad thing), until then, they won't get respect from me, in regards to the "new-gen" games.

For all the people who hav aneurisms whenever Sony says or does something, and feel the need to flame them like crazy, I think it's aceptable for me to be displeased with a company's complete disregard for certain versions of their games.

Xanog1

I'm not sure, but I think it might be some kind of fud tactic personally. Like that guy said "Why buy a PS3 when I could get the better version on 360?" I wouldn't be suprised if that's what they're aiming for, just smells fishy to me. Ubi Soft is a top company, I don't think they can be that bad by laziness alone. 

gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts
Ubisoft = EA
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 zeforgotten
Member since 2006 • 3918 Posts

people dont get it, do they..

The bad games from

Ubisoft Shanghai = Bad games and Port's, and they should really quit their jobs

Ubisoft Montreal = Good/Perfect games that works great, no crappy ports. and so on.

Just look at the Splinter Cell games really. Number 1: Ubisoft Shanghai (buggy).. Splinter Cell 2: Ubisoft Montreal (worked like a charm) then number 3 was also worked on by Montreal because they did a great job. and then Shanghai made Double Agent, and that went bad to... (but that's just my point of view really. sure some of you will Disagree. and.. i really dont give a damn)

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

They did awesome work on the PS2, give them time ¬_¬

How many other companys have bought games to the system that use it correctly that are third party?

None ;) 

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
PoP series are made by Ubi Montreal?
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="jshigashi"]

junk56

you are missing the point. Other developers aren't having problems porting....look at Oblivion.

dude YOU are missing the point. each game is 60 friggin bucks and if you can get a better decent game for half the price on the 360, what's the point of getting it on ps3? i dont care if its a good game on barebone or crap like that but if you can get the same game better on another console and lower price, why should i touch it on the ps3 then? If they can't even port a simple game to on par standards they're not getting my money.

sorry, but you totally missed the entire conversation.  please go away. 

jshigashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jshigashi

It's a business first and foremost.  The Clancy series sells better on XBox and that will quite obviously be the case in the new generation as XBox has a much larger upper hand with a much larger user base.  I personally have no problem with them developing games for XBox first, then porting them over to the PS3.

But then there is the issue of the ONE crappy port in this generation (unless you count Blazing Angels, which no one seems to really care about).  Developers have stated that if you developed a game without having the PS3 in mind at least, it would be extremely difficult to port the game to PS3.  A game that came out a year ago on the other system may just have those issues.  Rainbow Six may just have those issues.  GRAW2 is kind of in the grey area, but I am willing to bet it's a little bit better port than the others. 

What I'm trying to say, is that despite these issues, Ubisoft stil released a game that scored better than the majority of the games that are out.  Maybe they are of higher quality on the other machine.  Me, I don't have an XBox360.  All I care about is what games are available for the machine I own, and I am not one who cries about a game that scores an 8.

All I see are a bunch of babies.  You care so much about fanboys and which system is better... and you lose sight of a good game is a good game.  Waaaaa, we lost DMC4, let's sign a petition.  Waaaaa, SCDA isn't as good as the other box, I'm never going to buy from them again.  You all look at the game as inferior compared to the game the other machine.  I look it a game that is rated as superior than a lot of games on our machine.

PeterTimpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 PeterTimpa
Member since 2005 • 2509 Posts
I agree with the TC I feel everyone is being a bit harsh on ubisoft. They are making Assassins Creed and that game will rock, I know its on the 360 as well, but give Ubi and other Devs some time eventually the PS3 will have a gaming library that of the PS2's and the PS3 should be in everyones home. The PS3 in my opinion is a little ahead of its time just like the dreamcast was in a few years devs will know a lot more about how the PS3, the cell works so the Ps3 will soon own all. and the technology is changing everyday so the cell will be just as common as the emotion engine was in the PS2
Paul_TheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Paul_TheGreat
Member since 2004 • 9085 Posts

Ubisoft is an Microsoft developer. All they do is make Xbox games and port them to other consoles. Ubisoft gets no love for me.

mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mmirza23

It's a business first and foremost.  The Clancy series sells better on XBox and that will quite obviously be the case in the new generation as XBox has a much larger upper hand with a much larger user base.  I personally have no problem with them developing games for XBox first, then porting them over to the PS3.

But then there is the issue of the ONE crappy port in this generation (unless you count Blazing Angels, which no one seems to really care about).  Developers have stated that if you developed a game without having the PS3 in mind at least, it would be extremely difficult to port the game to PS3.  A game that came out a year ago on the other system may just have those issues.  Rainbow Six may just have those issues.  GRAW2 is kind of in the grey area, but I am willing to bet it's a little bit better port than the others. 

What I'm trying to say, is that despite these issues, Ubisoft stil released a game that scored better than the majority of the games that are out.  Maybe they are of higher quality on the other machine.  Me, I don't have an XBox360.  All I care about is what games are available for the machine I own, and I am not one who cries about a game that scores an 8.

All I see are a bunch of babies.  You care so much about fanboys and which system is better... and you lose sight of a good game is a good game.  Waaaaa, we lost DMC4, let's sign a petition.  Waaaaa, SCDA isn't as good as the other box, I'm never going to buy from them again.  You all look at the game as inferior compared to the game the other machine.  I look it a game that is rated as superior than a lot of games on our machine.

jshigashi
ok so who says you need to buy those games? if we are getting the inferior versions, i would just rent, logic dictates if you spend the same amount of money on something inferior when you can get something for the same price but much higher quality somewhere else, you would look like a fool purchasing the inferior one, and its not like its marginally inferior either, wouldnt care then, these are drastic fall offs from the original versions