Mirror's Edge Catalyst is awesome. And then some.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I loved the first Mirror's Edge back when it launched. It wasn't perfect, but it was unique and very atmospheric, with great visual style.

Well, Mirror's Edge Catalyst is lot better in every way!

The cityscape in the game is gorgeous. Atmospheric and tranquil. And you get to explore it freely from the start (yes!).

The city is littered with collectables, hidden stuff, hidden areas and mini missions, so there is lots to do outside main missions.

The horrible combat system of the original has been given complete overhaul. Close combat is now effortless and fluid affair. You can also just run over guards without breaking stride, ir you do not fancy stopping to fight every guard. Which is good news.

The game is also bit easier than the original, although there are still missions where you really need to do a faultless run to beat the mission. Luckily the game guides you through, if you are having trouble, so don't panic.

I also like the enviromental puzzles. Runner vision gives you the line to your target, but often you still have to figure the way to the target by yourself. And often impossible to get location becomes accessible by buying a new running skill... So, brain is required to play.

Okay, I know, these sort of game recommendation threads are not exactly allowed, but I'm sure the mods dont mind this one because a) these forums aren't exactly bustling with activity and b) this game has gotten very little publicity since lauch so deserves to be brought up in this fashion.

Still. I love this game. It's like a breath of fresh air after all these stuffy sandbox games I've been playing lately.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i agree with you i love it underrated game and too bad dont sell good enough

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Yeah, I think a lot of folks took out their anti-sjw frustrations on this game and let it cloud their ability to enjoy the platforming. Not to say there weren't any legitimate complaints, but some people's hatred for it was weirdly visceral.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I beat Mirror's Edge after I got it free for Xbox Live, but I was so weary of playing sequel even though I could play it on EA Access/Origin cause there was a few spots in the game that were not that fun aka the fist-only fights.

I hit a wall somewhere after the first half, where it felt like a hassle more than being fun. I would have liked more story that wasn't all cut scenes, and more of those "Snipers on buildings and you take them out 1 by 1".

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Well, I'm still enjoying the game immensely.

It's remarkable how varied the visuals are in real life. In screenshots the game looked a bit samey all over, but when you play, you notice subtle differences all over the place.

I hope the violence does not escalate. In many games like this, the end game contains way too many guards and cops and as a result, you do more fighting than exploring. I hope this game is an exeption.

Oh, and I hope there are no invisible enemies like there were in Remember Me...