MGS4 a disappointment

This topic is locked from further discussion.

savinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 savinger
Member since 2007 • 1309 Posts

So I played through MGS4 and its just not for me. That's great if you guys enjoyed it, but to me it was a few moments of gaming bliss packed away between hours and hours of boring bland "gaming". The graphics are technically fantastic but artistically bland; thoroughly done but not creative. ...And I found it fairly easy. I thought this game had the reputation of being hard? Anyone have the guts to agree?

TheKonspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheKonspiracy
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts
i actually thought the gameplay was fun, and so do many other, but the only way to really jude a game is by making up your own opinion.
CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts
"the guts to agree"? I think you're getting a bloated sense of worth from disliking a popular game when you start saying ridiculous things like that, as it infers people who do not agree are gutless, or somehow lying about how much they enjoyed the game. It smacks of contrarian elitism.
donnygorgas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 donnygorgas
Member since 2005 • 2531 Posts
sucks for you
TheKonspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheKonspiracy
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts
BTW your opinion is wrong.
savinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 savinger

"the guts to agree"? I think you're getting a bloated sense of worth from disliking a popular game when you start saying ridiculous things like that, as it infers people who do not agree are gutless, or somehow lying about how much they enjoyed the game.CronoSquall

Perhaps... My intention was that many people probably are head over heels for this game just because its so popular. It would be like telling a group of people that you hate Led Zeppelin. Social suicide right? I said from the get go that it is fine if you like the game.. and said that "its just not for me". Settle down

-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Dionysus-
Member since 2006 • 1276 Posts
The amount of cutscenes, load times, and install times cut up the gameplay too much for me. Also, most of the boss fights annoyed me because they involved more of shooting away smaller, lesser foes than the actual boss, though I thought they were all done pretty well regardless.
supersnake930

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 supersnake930
Member since 2008 • 1510 Posts
hey TC why dont you go play it on The Boss Extreme without any alerts, continues, and no use of health items. and when you have beaten it on that difficulty then tell me how easy it is. well just let me tell you..... ITS NOT EASY!:o you probably played it on Liquid Easy because when you shoot a PMC it is a one shot kill.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

artistically MGS4 was bland?

That's the first I've heard.

savinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 savinger

hey TC why dont you go play it on The Boss Extreme without any alerts, continues, and no use of health items. and when you have beaten it on that difficulty then tell me how easy it is. well just let me tell you..... ITS NOT EASY!:o you probably played it on Liquid Easy because when you shoot a PMC it is a one shot kill. supersnake930

Alright, I've give it a shot. I played it on Solid Normal.

GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts

So I played through MGS4 and its just not for me. That's great if you guys enjoyed it, but to me it was a few moments of gaming bliss packed away between hours and hours of boring bland "gaming". The graphics are technically fantastic but artistically bland; thoroughly done but not creative. ...And I found it fairly easy. I thought this game had the reputation of being hard? Anyone have the guts to agree?

savinger

just a few questions to see if you actually beat the game.

first who was the last girl you had to fight and were was it?

who was a boss fight that was in mgs 2 and how did you kill him?

octacon in love to who?

just a few questions because i see there types of threads all day and most of them bash it from other people reaponse on the game not actually playing it them selfs.

supersnake930

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 supersnake930

[QUOTE="supersnake930"]hey TC why dont you go play it on The Boss Extreme without any alerts, continues, and no use of health items. and when you have beaten it on that difficulty then tell me how easy it is. well just let me tell you..... ITS NOT EASY!:o you probably played it on Liquid Easy because when you shoot a PMC it is a one shot kill. savinger

Alright, I've give it a shot. I played it on Solid Normal.

i got the Big Boss emblem. you cant use any special item. that includes stealth and the bandanna.

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

savinger

LEt me elaborate on your thoughts. I am and have been a fan of the series since it the first one. Main reason why I waited and got a PS3. Upon playing it I thought the graphics were really good. Everyone tlaked about these radical control changes where to me it felt exactly the same. Actually EVERYTHING about the game was the same which wasn't bad but people were praising it like it was a complete overhaul. Second I felt there were (to quote you) a few moments of gaming bliss packed away between hours and hours of cutscenes. AGAIN nothing wrong with that but it padded the playtime on an otherwise 6 to 7 hour game. I too felt it was quite easy which is partly why I blew through the game. Going back to the graphics again very nice but given how enclosed the game and it's environments were it's easy to buff them up when you have such confined spaces. All in all a good game and a worthy installment to the series from a fans perspective but not NEARLY the masterpiece many claim it to be. I think it was so highly praised by Sony fans (Yes Sony fans not even MGS fans) becuase this gen is more about beating and humiliating your competiton (in this case 360) then actually having worthwhile games or even caring what is good or what is bad about a game. People were praising the game without even owning it, same way people rag on consoles or games they don't own. It's not about what you have it's about what the other guy dosen't so long as you look the best.

supersnake930

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 supersnake930
[QUOTE="savinger"]

GARRYTH

just a few questions to see if you actually beat the game.

first who was the last girl you had to fight and were was it?

who was a boss fight that was in mgs 2 and how did you kill him?

octacon in love to who?

just a few questions because i see there types of threads all day and most of them bash it from other people reaponse on the game not actually playing it them selfs.

well he said he played it on Solid Normal so that means he knows the names of the difficulties.

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thegame1980

"the guts to agree"? I think you're getting a bloated sense of worth from disliking a popular game when you start saying ridiculous things like that, as it infers people who do not agree are gutless, or somehow lying about how much they enjoyed the game. It smacks of contrarian elitism.CronoSquall

Actually I agree with him and I infact DO think MANY have lied about this game's worth to boast PS3 simply because they are a fanboy. MANY have commented and voted on this game without even playing a lick of it just to claim superiority and invoke jealousy.

supersnake930

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 supersnake930
oh and hey i forgot to tell you something. you have to beat the game in 5 hours or less to obtain the Big Boss emblem. good luck.:)
chad_giac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 chad_giac
Member since 2008 • 222 Posts

savinger, this is the last metal gear game featuring snake, thus they had to tie up a lot of loose ends. thats why there are so many cut scenes.

ill admit i played through it twice and loved it, but after that theres not much replay value. and dont get me started on MGO its broken.

i loved the game flaws and all.

and the graphics, bland? WTF

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
It's a great game, but it probably won't be perfect or the best game ever to you if you aren't a fan of the series.
thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thegame1980

Perhaps... My intention was that many people probably are head over heels for this game just because its so popular. It would be like telling a group of people that you hate Led Zeppelin. Social suicide right? I said from the get go that it is fine if you like the game.. and said that "its just not for me". Settle down

savinger

Unfortunately you can NOT have a bad opinion on either MGS 4 or PS3 since then you are deemed wrong and a fake. It's almost like the taboo notion of free will in a kingdom of a tyrantial leader. Free will being you in a Sony ruled kingdom.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts

Oh n TC, have you played the previous games 1,2,n 3? BTW for the first half of the game I was feeling so pissed at Kojima for what he'd done with the game but then as I went along, got more into the weapons and the amazing ending I forgot all about the flaws and now only love the game.

but again Kojima really went off track with MGS4 as compared to 1,2, n 3, where you just went to ONE LOCATION, with awsome infiltration methods, One unit of Bosses, and One mission, whereas MGS4 had like 5 missions, wierd bosses that had NO reason to kill Snake or ever met Ocelot/Liq. All you have to do to kill them is Shoot them, instead of playing with C4, Claymore Mines, Stinger Missiles or Nikita in previous games. AND the cutscences used to be for showing off Bosses and explaing major parts of the story, and the rest was Codec but this time around, Bosses's stories were told on Codec, and the major story parts were discussed on the codec as well, and cutscense were full of Snake and Hal just sitting around talking about missions. Sorry got carried away, but still love MGS4!

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thegame1980

Oh n TC, have you played the previous games 1,2,n 3? BTW for the first half of the game I was feeling so pissed at Kojima for what he'd done with the game but then as I went along, got more into the weapons and the amazing ending I forgot all about the flaws and now only love the game.

but again Kojima really went off track with MGS4 as compared to 1,2, n 3, where you just went to ONE LOCATION, with awsome infiltration methods, One unit of Bosses, and One mission, whereas MGS4 had like 5 missions, wierd bosses that had NO reason to kill Snake or ever met Ocelot/Liq. All you have to do to kill them is Shoot them, instead of playing with C4, Claymore Mines, Stinger Missiles or Nikita in previous games. AND the cutscences used to be for showing off Bosses and explaing major parts of the story, and the rest was Codec but this time around, Bosses's stories were told on Codec, and the major story parts were discussed on the codec as well, and cutscense were full of Snake and Hal just sitting around talking about missions. Sorry got carried away, but still love MGS4!

Coolboy420x

Agreed. Kojima got carried away and changed the concepts of this game. The beauties in my opinion were stupid and don't EVEN get me started on Drebin

email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts

Oh, don't get me started with another person crying about how bad MGS4 was. That game was freakin' awesome! Every minute of it was top notch! If you fel dissapointed with it then go play Metal Gear Online.

Geeezzzzz.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts
[QUOTE="Coolboy420x"]

thegame1980

Agreed. Kojima got carried away and changed the concepts of this game. The beauties in my opinion were stupid and don't EVEN get me started on Drebin

Lols I was so mad at Drebin, He's like the Rose from MGS2, just wouldn't shup up with his stories about the beauties. Reminded me of that dude from RE4 that sold weapons to Leon but why the heck was he explaining about the bosses and their history and how does he know all of that crap.
thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thegame1980
[QUOTE="thegame1980"][QUOTE="Coolboy420x"]

Coolboy420x

Lols I was so mad at Drebin, He's like the Rose from MGS2, just wouldn't shup up with his stories about the beauties. Reminded me of that dude from RE4 that sold weapons to Leon but why the heck was he explaining about the bosses and their history and how does he know all of that crap.

Exactly! I hated that guy in RE 4 also. Both of them REALLY reminded me that THIS IS A VIDEOGAME! Seriously THANK GOD for those guys around everywhere helping me out on this impossible mission with weapons to my hearts content. Wish it wasl ike that in the real world. SERIOUSLY they were stupid and sucked the life right out of it.

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts
[QUOTE="savinger"]

thegame1980

Unfortunately you can NOT have a bad opinion on either MGS 4 or PS3 since then you are deemed wrong and a fake. It's almost like the taboo notion of free will in a kingdom of a tyrantial leader. Free will being you in a Sony ruled kingdom.

Nonsense. You can express a dissenting opinion without hinting at or insinuating that you think all the praise for a game is false or based on hype. As I said, that way of thinking is nothing but contrarian elitism. Chances are that people are praising the game because they feel it is worthy of praise.

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

BTW your opinion is wrong.TheKonspiracy

seconded, MGS4 was only a few notches short of a masterpiece

SonicEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 SonicEXE
Member since 2003 • 32 Posts

savinger

oh i'm sorry, i thought you were talking about Microsoft and the Xbox 360 and Halo, as i see that getting a LOT more blind praise than the ps3, the PS3 has got almost nothing but bashing except for a few loyal fans, and featured one of the worst launches of time. So honestly, i wouldn't go about saying things like that, because it's completely and utterly false

My opinion on MGS4 was that it was a great game, but to me personally it couldn't hold me in like some others. so what, i don't deny it's great, and don't call it a disappointment, just say it wasn't for me, as the OP originally said, though i don't intend to come back later to downsize the game. I think everyone needs to calm down, and if you've played the game, give a reasonable opinion, if you havn't then please just shut up and let those who have discuss it