MGS Series Question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ad-2cool4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Ad-2cool4u
Member since 2007 • 485 Posts
So I have never played an MGS game, and I've recently been looking at MGS4 and thought that it could be very good. I've also heard the MGS series is one of the best in gaming history. So I decided a couple days ago, once my school was done with I was going to go out and buy the Essential Collection Box Set of the MGS series, and I know that MGS3 came before MGS1 (the storys timeline) so should I play these games in the order of MGS3, MGS, MGS2, MGS4?
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Play them: 1,2,3,4... MGS3 has a couple of things that probably won't matter to you if you play it first AND it contains some spoilers for the rest of the series.

Once you've played through 1 and 2... MGS3 will ask you to choose your favorite. Chose MGS2 and you'll be in for a surprise ;)

Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts
The order you mentioned is correct. I suggest going in order though, MGS, MGS2, MGS3 just because the gameplay is a bit different in all of em.
dustincrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 dustincrider
Member since 2005 • 1553 Posts
id play mgs then mgs2 then mgs 3... itll make sense when you actually play through them
SSJBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 SSJBen
Member since 2003 • 7071 Posts

Not really. The problem with playing it through its chronological order is because of the huge difference in gameplay. While of course the core gameplay is there but alot are changed in between them. So if you don't feel like transitioning from a superior gameplay(MGS3 to MGS1) to a poorer one, feel free to play through it chronologically.

CK_the_gr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CK_the_gr8
Member since 2005 • 277 Posts
Well, it's all up to you eventually, but if I were you, I'd at least play one of those games to see what it's all about. I don't think it'd make any big difference in order of playing also. If you don't play all the three games, you could also just read up on the story, or watch movies about it. I only played MGS1, so don't be ashamed, hehe. I foresee comments like "BLASPHEMY," but meh..
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
play them in numerical order. mgs3 was written with players who've played mgs and mgs2 in mind. there are inside jokes that you would not understand without some quality time with franchise. some characters have layers to them that cant be appreciated without knowing their future selves and prodiges. also, mgs3's final "surprise" would have abslutely no meaning without having played the prior games.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Play them in numerical order like others have said.

Ad-2cool4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Ad-2cool4u
Member since 2007 • 485 Posts
Oh wow, what you guys have said makes me want to go out and buy the games right now, and play them none stop until I beat them! But, unforutnatly I need to have this project done for school soon, and if I dont get it done by the weekend I cant go paintballing with my friends! I am very very excited to pick these games up now. Thanks to everyone! :D Oh and I will play them in the order of MGS, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4, so I hope you guys were right! :P I'm sure you are. :) Thanks again! (so excited:P)
LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 LuckyLy
Member since 2008 • 1987 Posts
I'm playing MGS 3 right now and The End is pissing me off.