Mass Effect 2: Can I back up?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BinkyM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BinkyM
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts
Help! (whine, whine, whine) I'm doing the Horizon mission in Mass Effect 2, and I believe I'm at the end of it. I'm trying to get to the "Starport," so my guess is the Normandy is there and I'll get to it and fly away. First, I hafta get past two scions and a buncha super-annoying husks. If I try to melee them, the scions shoot and kill me. If I try to kill the scions, the husks come kill me. Now here's the problem: I apparently assembled the worst possible team! Ack! I used the Grunt, who was brand new (I always try to take brand new characters with me as soon as possible to get them some practice) and Kasumi (because she's loyal and leveled-up a little). No good: they die nearly instantly and are no good to me at all, even though the very first nanosecond I'm able to, I use their powers (and mine) on the scions and the husks. The powers fly and then they drop dead soon afterward. I can't seem to make 'em stay where I put 'em; they wander into the line of fire from the scions in no time. So here's what I need to do: I wanna go back to the start of the mission so I can get better team members, obviously! I need to get (uh, I forget their names. The black guy and the chick with the rack) but I can't see anyway to load a saved game. Since I'm renting from GameFly, I don't have a manual. PLEASE tell me there's a way to do this; I've been spending 30-45 minutes/day trying to do this for about nine days and it's just not possible with this lame set of characters (counting me!). I don't wanna give up on the dumb thing, but it's hopeless at this point unless I'm able to replace these idiots. Can I? (whine, whine, whine)
dead_man007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dead_man007
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

If you have a saved game from earlier you should be able to load it through the pause menu. If not you're SOL. My suggestion, always take Zaeed and Mordin with you. Max out Zaeed's inferno grenade and Mordins incinerate and take incinerate and or reave (from samara I think; the justicar). When used they do a lot of damage, are one hit kills and buen sion's to death quickly.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
>not having multiple save files Seriously, who doesn't keep multiple saves? You might be able to restart the mission, but honestly its not very hard to kill scions, maybe this would be a good point to learn how to play better ;) Also, characters level up regardless of how little or much you use them, don't even use the crappier characters, if you just want to rush through almost any mission and destroy anything go Mordin/Thane combo, Heavy Incinerate/Heavy Cryo and Heavy Warp is insta kill for almost anything..
dan_gerous87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dan_gerous87
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

IIRC doesn't the game keep a "restart mission" auto-save until you start the next mission? Look in your "load game" list and there should be an auto save to restart the mission and re-select your squad/upgrades.

chaotzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chaotzu
Member since 2005 • 773 Posts
Yeah there's a restart mission option that also allows you to change teams.
BinkyM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BinkyM
Wow; I have quite the assortment of replies here! I sure didn't expect "learn how to play better," though; I've always gotten thoughtful answers here. I guess there's always gotta be a first time!

IIRC doesn't the game keep a "restart mission" auto-save until you start the next mission? Look in your "load game" list and there should be an auto save to restart the mission and re-select your squad/upgrades.

dan_gerous87
Uh uh, dan_gerous87 (and dead_man007). (sob!) It'll often let me restart the non-mission-critical part of a mission I'm in, but lotsa times (like this one), it disables the "Load" and "Select Squad" menu items. (sob!)
Seriously, who doesn't keep multiple saves?PoisoN_Facecam0
Well, I'll tell you why I haven't, my snotty little bud: I have never seen a game auto-save as often as ME2 does! Holy crap! I wish someone would sit and time it while I play; it's truly dumbfounding! I'll normally max out all the save slots in other games, but I feel as if ME2 has me covered! But if I can't GET at the saves ... hold on a second. Hokay; I just squirted! I started the game just now and at the main menu, I chose to "load" and one of my choices was RESTART MISSION! Yay! Right now I'm at the "Squad Selection" page! Wow! I'm dizzy! Alright; I take back calling you "snotty," because even if you were rude, you ended up pointing me in the right direction anyway. (And the last save I did? THIRTEEN HOURS AGO. I woulda had to have replayed THIRTEEN HOURS OF ME2. Ugh.) Now to go pick even *worse* squad mates! Tee hee! No seriously: Given Zaeed, Mordin, Garrus, Miranda, Jordan, and Jack, who should I take to Horizon? I don't wanna get into this horrid trap again! I'm leaning towards Jordan (he has incendiary ammo and pull) and Miranda (she has area overload and warp). Kasumi and Grunt and staying behind this time to make food and drinks for when the squad comes home. Thanks for the tips, peeps! (And laugh at me all you want, PoisoN_Facecam0, but I'll put my Resistance 2 clan against yours any day! (evil grin!))
hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

Take Miranda and Zaeed.

Miranda - Warp for armors and barriers.

Zaeed - Concussion blast for barriers, inferno grenade (if loyal) for armor.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Horizon is a pain in the ***. I've been trying to do it on Insanity difficulty for a while now, and I just can't get past it. Stupid Harbinger really makes things troublesome.

BinkyM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BinkyM
hanslacher54, Zaeed's not loyal yet (Kasumi's my only loyal squad member so far), so he's only got concussion so far. Who do you suggest in his stead? Vari3ty, I would think you'd need to be insane to try this level on "Insanity" mode! Aiiee! I need "Training Wheels" mode for this stupid "Starport" section. I was doing just fine until I got here. (sob!) I just wanna fling my pulse rifle down on the ground and stomp on it!
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

All characters are the same level anyway and Grunt is a beast. I really can't imagine what you're doing to have him die immediately. What class are you? And you know that you can actually take cover, right?

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Grunt is a great choice for Horizon because he has the best health regen and a shotgun to deal with the husks at close range. Kasumi is a pretty bad choice though.

You're talking about the group just before the Praetorian right? If so then just slowly enter the area until the Scions spawn, and use Cain to cripple them from afar.

BinkyM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BinkyM
nethernova, I'm a sentinel (that was a great question, BTW; no one else thought to ask that!), and of *course* I'm taking cover, though it blows: most of it is about waist-high, and the husks swarm me in cover, silly rabbit! Grunt might be able to regenerate quickly, but I've never gotten a chance to find out because I die to quickly. Since my support personnel aren't very supporty, my life is really, really short! The freaking husks do me in in no time flat. The longest I've managed to live in that stupid "Starport" but is prolly around fifteen seconds, sprinting around throwing my powers at the scions, bashing husks, and sprinting away from them. After fifteen seconds, my longest is around ten seconds, I'll bet (sigh). (I *toldja* I'm having an epically hard time in the Starport!) Gxgear, I don't know if this area is "just before the Praetorian" since I've never gotten past it (sob!). I have no idea what horrors await me after this. I also have no idea who (or what?) Cain is. I don't have one of those yet. (Edit) Oh, for crying out loud! I shouldn't be allowed to be near RPGs because I'm too stupid to play them, obviously. Gxgear, I *do* have the Cain. It's that weapon that doesn't seem to work! I gave up on it. But you think I should take it with me? I had taken the singularity projector with me (that's FUUUN!) but then dropped it when I found the plasma rifle. This time I think I'm not grabbing the plasma rifle as it wasn't much use against the scions. Then again, if I *don't* grab the plasma rifle, I'll bet I won't be adding it to my arsenal, so my guess is I'll *hafta* grab it. nethernova, while maxing out my tech armor again, I couldn't remember which of the two max powers I wanted, so I went to the ME wiki to read up on them and saw something I missed the first time: that the assault armor is something I need to arm just once, at the start of a mission, and it'll keep right on doing its thing ... and that it'll wipe out the husks. Aw, geez. I HAVEN'T BEEN ENABLING IT. I oughtta just give you all my address so you can come pick up the disc and then kick my ass all over Spanish Harlem because I just don't know what I'm doing. There're way too many little fidgety details ("If you max out this power, then that squad member's power will increase, but if you use Throw, then any vortches will have 25% more shield, but if you upgrade your Overload to level three, then biotics will have a blast radius of 50.00 but meat puppets will have 240 less armor...") and when I try to keep track of them, my brain leaks out my ears. After I finish this, I'm going back to my shooters ("Got a lotta enemies over there, so I'll sweep the area with my mini-gun. Boss battle! Gotta switch to my missile launcher! There're enemies waaay up there in the trees someplace; I need my sniper rifle for this. I know there's a cluster of enemies over that wall; gonna toss a grenade over it." See? I don't hafta engage my brain!)
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
I'm a little confused why Grunt is dying so quickly as well. His health bonuses and regen make him incredibly durable. Perhaps you leveled him up ineffectively? That level as a Sentinel on Insanity is VERY frustrating, by the way. It's probably the best all around style to use, but it just doesn't seem to click on Insanity for whatever reason. At least to me. I mostly used Miranda and Grunt, Miranda because she great for support/damage and Grunt because he's built like a tank. I'm confused as to what point you're actually at (what you described is ringing a bell, but for multiple encounters), but if you're where I think you are, I've heard Grunt and Jack is a good group to bring.
hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

Instead of Zaeed use Grunt or Mordin.

Grunt - Concussion blast for barriers, Incendiary Ammo for armor, best tank in the game

Mordin - Incinerate for armor

-

Since you're playing as Sentinel make sure to keep your tech armor up, and keep using warp on them to take their armor/barriers down.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Binky you have to micromanage you teammates on insanity. Make sure they're taking cover and moving with you or taking a vantage point while you lure the enemies.

Also level up your squad manually; I tend to go for heavy instead of area for the specialization, but its a personal preference. My reasoning for that is because being overwhelming by numerous enemies is usually the cause of death, so you'd want to thin their numbers one at a time - quickly That being said, certain abilities that's obviously meant for crowd control should get the area upgrade ie. Kasumi's flashbang or Zaeed's inferno grenade.

M920-Cain needs to be charged, and fired at a distance so you don't catch yourself in the blast. Horizon is one of the few missions where Cain is extremely useful, mostly because of how open the area is; there's really no way to funnel the husks towards you effectively while dodging Scions' fire.

BinkyM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BinkyM
Gxgear, you so craxy! *I'm* not playing this dumb thing on insanity; Vari3ty above is! Do I *seem* capable of playing this thing on Insanity?! I barely know what I'm doing, you silly anime head! I don't know my ass from my M-490 Blackstorm Singularity Projector! But I owe you an apology about that Cain thing; while doing my weapons loadout, I saw it and said to myself, "Oh! It's that weapon that seemed not to work for me that one time I used it, so I never tried it again!" It didn't fire, so I didn't like it. And I clearly put it out of my mind so that when you mentioned it, I didn;t recognize the name. I'm sorry. Speaking of my black hole gun, that's what I took with me back to the Horizon along with Zaeed and Miranda. After about three dozen attempts in which I tried overloading and warping the scions so my squad mates could have at 'em while I charged up a black hole, the scions would shockwave me and I'd die. Grrr. Zaeed and Miranda were often quite helpful with the husks, though, so it was much less awful. What finally did the trick in the end was simply two black holes from my Blackstorm. (How fun to watch the husks slowly rise into the air, powerless!) That was all (well, that and Miranda and Zaeed doing what they do, I'm sure). Suddenly, everything was quiet and we were wandering around and I hacked a computer so those annoying things that I set on fire came out. But those were NOTHING compared to when that Praetorian you mentioned came out! Or, as I like to call it, the psychotic horseshoe crab. Holy hell! I was sprinting, shooting, sprinting, shooting, sprinting, shooting, and trying not to tinkle on myself. But next thing I knew, that awful thing had fallen to my blackhole gun, too. So now I'm on Illium, talking to people with the weird blue heads and spending my money like a drunken sailor. I appreciate all your help, folks! I don't know what I'd have done without you. I've learned a LOT and it'll help me get through this so I can polish it off before Deus Ex and Resistance 3 come out! Yay! Thanks so very much!