Mass Effect 2 Available as a PSN Download?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

Say it ain't so?! I just preorder the game from Gamestop

LINK

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

That's great news! I will probably pick it up in retail form. Is there any price difference?

DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DevilishStyles
Member since 2010 • 766 Posts

Yes it's true. And Plus users will get a game trial.

Tornesol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Tornesol
Member since 2010 • 89 Posts

Holycrap! Thats awsome!

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

REally? Isn't the game like 20 gigs or something crazy like that? I know L4D2 was around 10 gigs on Steam so Mass Effect 2 is surely way bigger.

And honestly if I wre you I'd wait two or three months before buying the game. The last time, I bought Bioshock on PS3 for 50 bucks brand new then a couple of months later it was 20 bucks everywhere. It does that with timed exclusives. And it's already 20$ on PC/360.

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

I'm not too surprised actually. The way EA is claiming about digital sales surpassing physical copies in 2011, they might as well start early.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
Digital :roll: I have a hard time paying for full priced games as a digital download, i mean at least when you buy a physical copy its actually exists, but digital downloads are just 1 of infinite, you just a have a numberless copy.
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
You mean you guys would actually pay for that!? Do you know how HUGE this game? There's no way I'd sacrifice that much of my precious HDD space AND not be able to have my hardcopy. However, I think that anyone who does buy a hardcopy should also get the option to DL the full game to their HDD.
SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

Posted in the Mass Effect 2 thread, but w.e.

I can't believe people are support DD. Retail copy FTW

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
You mean you guys would actually pay for that!? Do you know how HUGE this game? There's no way I'd sacrifice that much of my precious HDD space AND not be able to have my hardcopy. However, I think that anyone who does buy a hardcopy should also get the option to DL the full game to their HDD. MrSelf-Destruct
That is actually a great idea, but the games would have to come with a key for that to work. It would solve the used games issue, because you can't resell it haha +)
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Also, the game is around 16 to 18 GBs. Unless they comprised the thing >.> Vanilla is 12-13Gbs + DLC should bump that up a bit..
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Hmmm... A little space on my shelf, or a ton of space on my HDD... Which will I choose?

:lol:

It would be great to be lazy and pre-order it for DD, wake up and just have it there on my machine ready to play, day-one... But I think I'll get out of my filth for a minute and just go get a copy on disc...

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]You mean you guys would actually pay for that!? Do you know how HUGE this game? There's no way I'd sacrifice that much of my precious HDD space AND not be able to have my hardcopy. However, I think that anyone who does buy a hardcopy should also get the option to DL the full game to their HDD. ShadowDeathX
That is actually a great idea, but the games would have to come with a key for that to work. It would solve the used games issue, because you can't resell it haha +)

I mean, even if they required you to put the disc in its still nice to have the option of putting the whole game on the HDD. Obviously if they didn't require the disc then you would be getting two copies for the price of one. I honestly think they should do like the 360 and let you install all your games to help with load times and wear and tear on your disc drive.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

Either way you're only paying for the license to play the game. I'd just rather have a physical license that I can hold and sell if I choose to.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Hmmm... A little space on my shelf, or a ton of space on my HDD... Which will I choose?

:lol:

It would be great to be lazy and pre-order it for DD, wake up and just have it there on my machine ready to play, day-one... But I think I'll get out of my filth for a minute and just go get a copy on disc...

Actually as slow as my PS3 downloads, even with a 4mps cable connection, I'd be able to go pick up the harcopy and be a few hours into the game before it finishes. lol
Joker1232003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Joker1232003
Member since 2003 • 1567 Posts

It would take ages to download, would be quicker to pick up a Bluray version IMO

Im not having a go at the PSN service, but patches take long enough to download. I dread to think how long a 12GB PSN title will take

Edit: Its confirmed to be 12GB in size BTW

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="Joker1232003"]

It would take ages to download, would be quicker to pick up a Bluray version IMO

Im not having a go at the PSN service, but patches take long enough to download. I dread to think how long a 12GB PSN title will take

Are you serious? That seems pretty small.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#18 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
That is very interesting..
SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

[QUOTE="Joker1232003"]

MrSelf-Destruct

Well the ME2 demo did take 3 1/2 hours to download. So...

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="SwagSurf"]

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="Joker1232003"]

I have all the DLCs on the Xbox and they are 4gb total. The game comes on two 8gb DVDs, so there is no way that its only 12gb unless it doesn't count for the DLC or its just extremely compressed.
lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
No thanks, i'll take a hardcopy any day.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

No way in hell I would ever get the digital version. Hard copy all the way.

Joker1232003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Joker1232003
Member since 2003 • 1567 Posts
[QUOTE="SwagSurf"]

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] Are you serious? That seems pretty small. MrSelf-Destruct

I have all the DLCs on the Xbox and they are 4gb total. The game comes on two 8gb DVDs, so there is no way that its only 12gb unless it doesn't count for the DLC or its just extremely compressed.

Its DEFINITELY 12GB Scroll down the page on the first link and read the comments Someone asks " How Big will it be" Sony responds (Red background) 12GB
Avatar image for deactivated-5f3c81036be81
deactivated-5f3c81036be81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f3c81036be81
Member since 2009 • 582 Posts

Is it 12GB for Download and Hardcopy or is it just 12GB for Download? If it is 12GB for the Download version only do you know how much space it will take up on disc?

note: potentially a very noob question :P

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
Not that I would do such a thing, but my first thought was "Cool, I wonder if any of my close friends are DLing this game too!?" *wink*.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="SwagSurf"]

Joker1232003

Its DEFINITELY 12GB Scroll down the page on the first link and read the comments Someone asks " How Big will it be" Sony responds (Red background) 12GB

Oh, I believe you. I am simply suggesting that the DL version does not come with the DLC in the same DL or it is heavily compressed.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
sorry but DD sucks ass. i'll take my hard copy thank you very much.
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#28 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

It will stay the same price on PSN for a while, whereas in a couple months the retail version will drop price on Amazon, so I'm gonna skip the downloadable version :P

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

It's a good option for those who would prefer digital version. This doesn't change anything and only adds to the options available to consumers.

There is no reason to hate on it...

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

That's great news! I will probably pick it up in retail form. Is there any price difference?

WiiMan21

Yes, if you get screwed over and something happens. It's gone forever and you just wasted money.

If you have the disk, you couldn't possibly lose your game unless you physically destroy it yourself. No storage, net or PSN account worries or possibilities that make you SOL.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Definitely getting hard copy, just as I will until retail eventually dies. With my internet speed of 1.5 mbps, there is no way I'd be able to download this in a reasonable amount of time.

DrD3V1L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DrD3V1L
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts

Downloadable games on PSN are way over-priced, I'd never buy digital media at a more expensive price. Plus, I'd much rather have the game and box, it seems like I'm getting more for my money.

DrD3V1L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DrD3V1L
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts

Definitely getting hard copy, just as I will until retail eventually dies. With my internet speed of 1.5 mbps, there is no way I'd be able to download this in a reasonable amount of time.

Vari3ty
You're right lol, not sure how big this game is, but on a 1.5mbps line, it would take a good 12-18 hours.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrSelf-Destruct

Downloadable games on PSN are way over-priced, I'd never buy digital media at a more expensive price. Plus, I'd much rather have the game and box, it seems like I'm getting more for my money.

DrD3V1L
Honestly, I think digital copies of games should be at least a couple bucks cheaper to compensate for the lack of a tangible product. The funny thing is while hard copies drop in price in just a matter of a few months the digital copies seem to retain their value for waaaayyyyy longer. Digital products that have never been sold on a store shelf almost never drop in price at all regardless of a decrease in demand. I dread the day that all software goes digital, because frugal gamers like myself will have no choice but to pay full price even for subpar software.
hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts

I'm not too surprised actually. The way EA is claiming about digital sales surpassing physical copies in 2011, they might as well start early.

KamuiFei
I will be very annoyed if that happens one day. I love watching my collection grow. It also means you cant go back and play ps4 games, in the ps6 days. If I want to play a ps1 game right now, I still have the discs in my room. However whenever everything goes digital, I dont think things will hang around that long. Things like your HDD corrupting or breaking will make you lose all those old games. Or when we dont even use a HDD one day.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#36 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
No way am I going to downloaded like 20+ GB. Just get the disc itself. ;)
hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts

[QUOTE="Joker1232003"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] I have all the DLCs on the Xbox and they are 4gb total. The game comes on two 8gb DVDs, so there is no way that its only 12gb unless it doesn't count for the DLC or its just extremely compressed. MrSelf-Destruct

Oh, I believe you. I am simply suggesting that the DL version does not come with the DLC in the same DL or it is heavily compressed.

I thuoght there was a limit how big a file could be on these digitial forms. Maybe its very compressed.