Looking to buy a PS3, need some help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mccloskey-14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mccloskey-14
Member since 2007 • 472 Posts

Ok, I'll start of by saying I love playing the PS3 and it was the fact that my best mate had a 360 that I got it, but then more and more of my mates got a PS3 so only 4 or 5 of my good mates had 360 and only 2 were regularly on. This was 2 years ago, and I always wanted to purchase a PS3 but just never had the available money I wanted to spend, so after watching some E3 I finally gave in and decided I have to get it so I'm selling a few 360 games and guitar hero and guitar and some PC games to a store in the UK which is great for doing so as you can check trade in value online and what they have in stock in your local store. So i seen a 80GB without backward compatibility (I want to know if thise offers any other advanatges other than being able to play PS2 games) for £235, not sure what that is in dollars but if you wish you can work that out. I then figured out my trade in value was £202 so in cash I only need to pay £43 not bad considering the total price of a new PS3.

That's all good but I'm wondering what games should I buy am sure I want to buy COD4 and LBP ( played both at my friends really enjoy them and I played COD a little too much on the xbox 22 days or something but it;s been like 2 years, that's may main excuse), so what other game would you recommend for gameplay and online?

Also what hardware may I need as well, i want a good experience with the PS3 as I know it's a great piece of kit, I wouldn't buy it if I thought otherwise? I'm thinking of buying a bluetooth headset, but not sure whats good value and has good durability, and remember I live in the UK so I won't be able to get American products and I don't purchase online, not because I don't it's safe, I just don't have access to a credit card or debit card, my parents use bank cards which can't be used online, it's a type of debit card we all have but its some LINK card that can;t be used online, frustrating really because I got plenty of money lying in my bank because over in the UK if your over 16 and stay in education you get £30 and the odd £100 bonus, which I can't complain about.

Also any other necessary information I may need to know before I delve into the work of PS3 would be greatly appreciated?

:)

Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts

Killzone 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted, Burnout Paradise, and inFamous are some of the great ones.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
The 80GB that doesn't have BC is a base model similar to the 40GB. It has 2 USB ports, and no media card readers. Other then that its essentially the same. Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavenly Sword, and inFamous are all games you should definitely look into. And hardware wise, if you've got an HDTV you should definitely pick up an HDMI cable. Other then that you should be good.
mccloskey-14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mccloskey-14

Yea Killzone was on my lips just wasn't sure, played the first one on the PS2 really liked it, haven't heard of Valkyria Chronicles so I'll try that out. As for Uncharted I think I'll wait on the new one, thank you for you opinion :)

And thank you raven_squad for clearing up the Backward Compatibility :D

xhLtmanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xhLtmanx
Member since 2007 • 728 Posts

Alright im sorry for butting into your topic but i have the same question too. I currently have 360 bucks. Idk if i should sell my extra guitar and gamecube too get the 400 dollar ps3, or just get a refurbed 40gb for 350. Because if i get the 40gb ill have alil extra money fpr a game or two.

Speaking of games idk which one to get KZ2 or Socom Con. with mic. I want KZ2 cause it looks awesome to play but socom cuz it looks fun and comes with a mic.

Adz263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Adz263
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts
. As for Uncharted I think I'll wait on the new one... mccloskey-14
You're missing out there mate. I definitely recommend picking it up as it's one of the PS3's best exclusives.
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
[QUOTE="mccloskey-14"]. As for Uncharted I think I'll wait on the new one... Adz263
You're missing out there mate. I definitely recommend picking it up as it's one of the PS3's best exclusives.

Same i would recommend it over almost every other exclusive...even if the sequel is coming out you should still know the story from the first (not really the story but the characters and how they act)
Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
[QUOTE="xhLtmanx"]

Alright im sorry for butting into your topic but i have the same question too. I currently have 360 bucks. Idk if i should sell my extra guitar and gamecube too get the 400 dollar ps3, or just get a refurbed 40gb for 350. Because if i get the 40gb ill have alil extra money fpr a game or two.

Speaking of games idk which one to get KZ2 or Socom Con. with mic. I want KZ2 cause it looks awesome to play but socom cuz it looks fun and comes with a mic.

I personally would not get a refurb of anything electronic. Too risky.
Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
Infamous, KZ2, MGS4, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword are must haves. Don't forget the HDMI cable.
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

You'll want a headset, if it's available get the official sony headset (the one bundled with SOCOM, also sold seperately).

chubbs4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chubbs4u
Member since 2004 • 71 Posts
go to gamestop, buy a used copy of Unchartered, bring it back within a week and you can get your money back or store credit. They have suggested to me to do this its not a scam...
WhyuStillAlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WhyuStillAlive
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts

if you want COD wait for modern warfare 2... or get KZ2. Look for infamous, littlebigplanet, motorstorm 2.... it all depends on your taste. Good luck!

xhLtmanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xhLtmanx
Member since 2007 • 728 Posts
go to gamestop, buy a used copy of Unchartered, bring it back within a week and you can get your money back or store credit. They have suggested to me to do this its not a scam...chubbs4u
um what would that accomplish?
Alizerothree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#14 Alizerothree
Member since 2008 • 1043 Posts
It's a great Blu Ray player that can also be updated via firmware. That alone is a great reason to buy. Also, it's got a solid library of exclusives. For online gaming i stick to my 360 though. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts
[QUOTE="chubbs4u"]go to gamestop, buy a used copy of Unchartered, bring it back within a week and you can get your money back or store credit. They have suggested to me to do this its not a scam...xhLtmanx
um what would that accomplish?

it basically gives you a free rental
mccloskey-14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mccloskey-14
[QUOTE="Adz263"][QUOTE="mccloskey-14"]. As for Uncharted I think I'll wait on the new one... CosmoKing7717

Same i would recommend it over almost every other exclusive...even if the sequel is coming out you should still know the story from the first (not really the story but the characters and how they act)

Actually once I posted it I noticed that I made the wrong choice, I would say the same thing, so yeah might get both.
yazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 yazter
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

The 80GB that doesn't have BC is a base model similar to the 40GB. It has 2 USB ports, and no media card readers. Other then that its essentially the same. Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavenly Sword, and inFamous are all games you should definitely look into. And hardware wise, if you've got an HDTV you should definitely pick up an HDMI cable. Other then that you should be good. raven_squad

I have 80 gb, with BC AND 4 USBS. Metal Gear Solid Bundle.

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CosmoKing7717

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]The 80GB that doesn't have BC is a base model similar to the 40GB. It has 2 USB ports, and no media card readers. Other then that its essentially the same. Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavenly Sword, and inFamous are all games you should definitely look into. And hardware wise, if you've got an HDTV you should definitely pick up an HDMI cable. Other then that you should be good. yazter

okay? raven specifically said "The 80GB that DOESN'T have BC" o.o
jmdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jmdude
Member since 2007 • 2521 Posts

COD4 and LBP are awesome games

I would suggest Killzone 2, GTA IV, Burnout Paradise, Uncharted, inFamous

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 raven_squad
[QUOTE="yazter"]

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]The 80GB that doesn't have BC is a base model similar to the 40GB. It has 2 USB ports, and no media card readers. Other then that its essentially the same. Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavenly Sword, and inFamous are all games you should definitely look into. And hardware wise, if you've got an HDTV you should definitely pick up an HDMI cable. Other then that you should be good. CosmoKing7717

okay? raven specifically said "The 80GB that DOESN'T have BC" o.o

:lol:, which is the model he asked about.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

If the Socom bundle can be found in your area that is a good game and the bundle comes with a nice headset. The cost of the bundle works out that you pay a lot less for the headset in the end.

mccloskey-14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mccloskey-14

Quick question regarding socom, can you buy the game and get a free headset or is it just the console bundle.

Also does the warhawk game still have the free headset I remember hearing way back when it came out, anyway know whether this is the case?

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CosmoKing7717
[QUOTE="mccloskey-14"]

Quick question regarding socom, can you buy the game and get a free headset or is it just the console bundle.

Also does the warhawk game still have the free headset I remember hearing way back when it came out, anyway know whether this is the case?

There is a console bundle? o.o didn't even realize that. If you buy socom for 60 dollars, the headset should be included (i believe all disc based new copies include the headset). As for Warhawk, new copies are greatest hits and do not include the jabra headset anymore (atleast to my knowledge)
mccloskey-14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mccloskey-14
Thanks very much, I really liked the old socoms so I think I'll get that with the headset, seems like really good value. As for the console bundle I seen it in a Game store in the UK can't remember the price just caught my eye because it had a lot of extras, not sure if it was an exclusive or anything, but looked really cool.
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CosmoKing7717
Thanks very much, I really liked the old socoms so I think I'll get that with the headset, seems like really good value. As for the console bundle I seen it in a Game store in the UK can't remember the price just caught my eye because it had a lot of extras, not sure if it was an exclusive or anything, but looked really cool.mccloskey-14
Just try to make sure that it has the sticker on it saying "headset included".
hardyfan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 hardyfan8
Member since 2009 • 484 Posts
[QUOTE="xhLtmanx"]

SOCOM sucks.... trust me...
mccloskey-14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mccloskey-14
[QUOTE="hardyfan8"][QUOTE="xhLtmanx"]

SOCOM sucks.... trust me...

I loved the old SOCOM's unless it has changed drastically I don't see how it could "suck", but everyone has their opinions, I'll hopefully purchase that along side the headset if my local game store has it that is.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 raven_squad
Socom was marred by technical issues when it was released, but most have been fixed via update. I've heard it's quite an enjoyable experience now.
mccloskey-14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mccloskey-14
I have another question, are the trophies any good, like are they worth getting, any rewards for getting a certain trophy such as a new unlock in Home?
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

I have another question, are the trophies any good, like are they worth getting, any rewards for getting a certain trophy such as a new unlock in Home?mccloskey-14

I know RE5 will unlock figurines for HOME, hopefully more games will support these features.