LBP Recall - Just a PR stunt?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

I can't help but feel that this LBP recall is, in part, a publicity stunt.

I mean, since this has happened, the story has had a main story on the BBC (including radio, TV and internet) and many other news channels. I have also seen it mentioned in a few newspapers.

All this is, of course, publicity for Sony. Do you think the motivation for a recall over a simple patch was publicity?

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thetruespin
Take into account that all the people that were going to buy this game are still going to buy it, albeit a week or so later.
Wardemon50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Wardemon50
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts
It very well could be. I do find it a little strange that such a cute game would have this kind of "publicity"
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thetruespin

The main story on the BBC's Technology page is LBP - that is free publicity you cannot buy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/default.stm

Avatar image for silentkill62696
silentkill62696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 silentkill62696
Member since 2005 • 651 Posts
I'm not really sure if its a stunt, i mean if it was, they wouldn't have replaced the disks from previous versions. Obviously some people have already gotten their copies, but i'm sure most retailers are forced to return their copies n replace them. If some game store employee can tell us if they havn't gotten their store of LBP replaced, then there's something suspicious. Retailers feel free to respond on how your store handeled the situation
_Area51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _Area51
Member since 2003 • 219 Posts

I was on the fence about this game, thought it looked interesting but wasn't quite my style. So, I was waiting for it to come out and maybe get a demo first before deciding to purchase. Now, because they are pulling a song and delaying the release for something so ridiculous, I guarantee I won't be buying the game.

I mean honestly, give me a break, are people really getting offended that a reference to a specific religion was made? Effing ridiculous.

Hiddren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hiddren
Member since 2008 • 1146 Posts

Game delayed over Islam phrases

A video game that's expected to be one of the biggest of the year has been delayed as it could offend Muslims.

Some background music used in the game, called Little Big Planet, contains phrases from the Koran, which is the holy scripture for Islam. Now Sony, who are behind the game, has taken all the copies out of shops while it removes the music from it.

The altered version of the game is expected to go on sale in November, and is only available on the PlayStation 3.

Chat about gaming on the message board

The Koran, also called the Qu'ran is the most holy text in Islam. Mixing music and words from it could be considered deeply offensive by Muslims.

The game was made by a company called Media Molecule for Sony. It's a platform game in which players control a cute character called Sackboy and guide him through levels.

The game has got experts very excited, because a big part of it is about using the game to create levels which you can then put online, and let other people rate and play.

Avatar image for bob_the_can_man
bob_the_can_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bob_the_can_man
Member since 2007 • 605 Posts
Unlikely..... but then againg they would have to destroy all the blu-rays of LBP and remake them with the music edited no? seems like something a company wouldnt do until someone noticed it.... but then again they may be tryin to avoid confrontation. im confused.
Achaean728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Achaean728
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

I was on the fence about this game, thought it looked interesting but wasn't quite my style. So, I was waiting for it to come out and maybe get a demo first before deciding to purchase. Now, because they are pulling a song and delaying the release for something so ridiculously, I guarantee I won't be buying the game.

I mean honestly, give me a break, are people really getting offended that a reference to a specific religion was made? Effing ridiculous.

_Area51

So youre not going to play a game because the dev and publisher have delayed it for one week? Thats really short-sighted and kinda narrowminded to not play a game for those reasons. The ONLY reasons one should have for not playing and/or buying a game is because it doesnt 1) appeal to their gaming tastes or 2) was not fun for that individual.

And yes people are getting offended to those references. For some Muslims, mixing holy scripture and music is a big no-no. Dont bash them for their beliefs. The delay isnt even THAT bad, wow everyone has to wait one more week. Gimme a break.

_Area51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 _Area51
Member since 2003 • 219 Posts

Ah, my apologies, the articles I had read made it seem like they were pulling it just for the simple fact that it made a reference to the Koran, thinking that would offend Westerners. I didn't realize the mixing of the music with the Koran references actually was offensive to Muslims.

What a difference a bit of knowledge makes, eh?

Thanks for shedding some light on that.

POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts
it might be a good delay with all these games coming out last week and this week. give people time to save money or receive another paycheck
signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 signore
Member since 2007 • 2122 Posts

i suspected this too,,,, but really, anything thats controversal because of islam/muslim reasons is not really great publicity. I mean, A LOT of people associate everything about the religion as well as the word 'Qu'ran' as terrorist related.

Not saying I'm one of them, but if Sony wanted free PR, i think theyd have gone with safe religions like Christianity or Judaism