KZ Shadowfall storage size?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#1 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I know that the digital version was almost 50gs, but I just found out that the physical copy will take up the same amount of space.

Is this correct?

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

@MarcRecon said:

I know that the digital version was almost 50gs, but I just found out that the physical copy will take up the same amount of space.

Is this correct?

The back of the box does say "Minimum 45GB" however Sony keeps saying that the games don't install to the HDD but rather are cached to the HDD so I'm not entirely sure what that will mean for how much storage it will take up and if and when that storage can be made available again.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MarcRecon

@The_Rick_14 said:

@MarcRecon said:

Is this correct?

The back of the box does say "Minimum 45GB" however Sony keeps saying that the games don't install to the HDD but rather are cached to the HDD so I'm not entirely sure what that will mean for how much storage it will take up and if and when that storage can be made available again.

Thanks Rick, I don't feel so bad now knowing that I'm not the only one confused! lol

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Rick_14

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Rick_14 said:

@MarcRecon said:

Is this correct?

Thanks Rick, I don't feel so bad now knowing that I'm not the only one confused! lol

Honestly wish I knew the answer. My best guess at this point is that there may be times when it needs to use all 45GB but the majority of the time it will only cache off what it thinks it needs at that moment. Maybe something like when you first put the disc in it will cache the first and second story levels. Then when you finish the first level, it could free up the cache containing the first level and cache the third.

I don't know. All I know at this point is that it's going to be a long two weeks waiting for the 15th! ha

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MarcRecon

@The_Rick_14 said:

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Rick_14 said:

@MarcRecon said:

Is this correct?

Honestly wish I knew the answer. My best guess at this point is that there may be times when it needs to use all 45GB but the majority of the time it will only cache off what it thinks it needs at that moment. Maybe something like when you first put the disc in it will cache the first and second story levels. Then when you finish the first level, it could free up the cache containing the first level and cache the third.

I don't know. All I know at this point is that it's going to be a long two weeks waiting for the 15th! ha

Yeah, that's why I was debating...if the actual disk version is going to take up the same amount of space, I might as well get the digital copy! But just as you have said it's going to be a long 2 weeks!!! lol

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

If this will be the case for most games, they best make the PS4 in Terrabytes, because there will be not enough space for more then 6-8 games. Crazy

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Just so you guys know, it will be about that size, 45GB for SP and MP, just like the PS3, it installs the game engine to the HDD, not the levels, those are accessed from the disk, and then the engine is transferred to the RAM (that's what Sony probably means by HDD cache, if not and it does indeed cache of the HDD, there's going to be a LOT of dead HDD's.)

Outsider-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Outsider-G
Member since 2006 • 2444 Posts

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

The game will be on your HDD but it won't be accessible without the game disk. That's why Sony calls it caching and not installing. The good thing is most games if not all are supposed to be able to cache in the background while you're playing the game. I would suggest only keeping game data of games you play frequently.

The "Minimum 45GB" probably refers to the fact that you'll be downloading patches, DLC etc. that will increase the footprint of the game.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Rick_14

I just saw that box art for COD: Ghosts says Minimum 49 GBs. Assuming GTR12 and Nonstop-Madness are correct (and it seems like they are because that all makes sense), this generation will involve quite a bit of file management.