Just got a wireless router, wonder what the best setup is of it....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts

I have a PS3 and have been using the last hour with the new Benkin Wireless Router I got.  Anyway here is a list of the things I have in order of connection:

1:  Cable Modem

2:  Vonage Phone Adapter

3:  Wireless Router (PC and Vonage are wired into this)

4:  PC

Now my question is this:  Is it best to have the router as the first thing or the Vonage Box?  I got everything set up about an hour ago and it seemed fine, then all the sudden the router went offline.  Had to reboot the Vonage box to get the router to wake up again.  The PS3 hooks in fine, even though it says the sig strenth is about 75%.

Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Zoomer30

Looks like there is no issue.  I think I really need to leave the Vonage Adaptor first in line becasue if I had the wireless router first and it lost the connection for whatever reason, I would not be able to get any phone calls.  At least this way Vonage is number one in the string and even if the router goes down I can still get calls.

I got the wireless router so I can do Folding@Home on my PS3 AND my PC at the same time, then they can both use the network. 

Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zoomer30

For anyone who wants a good wireless router for less than $40.00 the ****** is the way to go.   Its the Wireless G model, 2.4 Ghz.  Took me all of 6 mins and I was downloading a demo on my PS3 wireless.  Helps when you read the instructions (took me over an hour last fall to get my Vonage adapter thing to work, found out you had to hook them up in a very specific way.)

I downloaded the NBA demo last night, took about 30-45 mins.  That is pretty good, was getting about 900Kbps so the network was running well.  Gonna try a multiplayer game here and test it.  The PS3 says the signal strength is only 75%, but this is a fairly lower power model.  Don't want anyone hacking my wireless :D  I got it pass-worded anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 310792
Member since 2005 • 582 Posts

Here's a post I made after I'd successfully configured my ****** router for optimum PS3 connectivity, hope it helps.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25557215