This topic is locked from further discussion.

killzone_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1 killzone_gamer
Member since 2007 • 2333 Posts

With a 3% failiure rate, far too many people fall into the trap of "3%? Blimey, that won't happen to me!"

Wrong.

I know this because my Playstation 3, my beloved PS3 has broken. I've had a 60gb version since the 31st August 2007, and now its broken.

And at 6 months out of warrranty, I can't get a new one without paying £145 to Sony for "transport costs" of them shipping me, and taking the old, PS3.

It all started on Thursday (12th Febuary) when I was playing Battlefield Bad Company. First, the sound went, them the screen went. Upon Quitting the game, a black screen appeared and I got three beeps in quick sucession, at which point the screen would stay back, and the only way to turn it off was to turn it off at the plug socket, or at the AC switch at the rear of the console.

After turning the system back on again, I was met by the console not recognizing my game. I ejected the disc, and tried it again, but no joy. After about 5 minutes, however, it would read discs. I tried FIFA 09 this time, but the same thing happened, the sound went, and then at any form of loading screen (on FIFA it was a substitution, on Battlefield a cutscene) it froze, with Quitting the game the only option, at which point the above problem would repeat.

This continued until on Sunday (today) morning I rang Sony. The man on the end of the phone was as helpful as he could have been, and gave me a referance number.

The only option he gave me was to keep trying or pay for the new one.

Well, I rang up again later on, quoted my referance number to a woman this time, who re-itterated that my only option was to get a new one, but she suggested at least trying a full system restore.

So I did just that, extracting all of my game saves beforehand, naturally. However this has come to no avail, and I will still have to get a new one from Sony, my only joy in being that it'll be a 60gb like-for-like trade off. But at £145, I feel wronged. Having done nothing to damage the console myself, and with 3 out of my 10 odd PS3 toting friends having had similar problems, its an odd one.

My friend got his replaced free of charge, even though he was 2 months out of warranty.

I'll try to find out if there is anything I can do, but I doubt it. In my opinion this is made all the sadder by the fact that Killzone 2 - a game which I have followed intently and concisely - will be landing onto my doormat in 11 days, invariably before my replacement arrives.

I tell you what though - I'm getting a three year extention to the warranty on this one.

CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CanadianCR
Member since 2008 • 3824 Posts
Cool? :|
Hot-Tamale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Hot-Tamale
Member since 2009 • 2052 Posts
I'm about th buy my first next-gen console (a PS3) and I'm somewhat concerned. Do the new 80gb models have this problem? It seems that everyone who gets this problem has a launch console.
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CanadianCR
Member since 2008 • 3824 Posts

I'm about th buy my first next-gen console (a PS3) and I'm somewhat concerned. Do the new 80gb models have this problem? It seems that everyone who gets this problem has a launch console.Hot-Tamale

:lol: This can happen to ANY Electronic out there .. it may break, it may not .. no matter what you buy you will be taking that chance ..

I just don't see why people make it a point to post about it .. No one gives a flying **** ..

2SmokinBarells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 2SmokinBarells
Member since 2008 • 174 Posts
I'm about th buy my first next-gen console (a PS3) and I'm somewhat concerned. Do the new 80gb models have this problem? It seems that everyone who gets this problem has a launch console.Hot-Tamale
Yes they do, with Sony you always run the risk of your laser burning out. Just look at PS, PS2 history of DRE.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

[QUOTE="Hot-Tamale"]I'm about th buy my first next-gen console (a PS3) and I'm somewhat concerned. Do the new 80gb models have this problem? It seems that everyone who gets this problem has a launch console.CanadianCR

:lol: This can happen to ANY Electronic out there .. it may break, it may not .. no matter what you buy you will be taking that chance ..

I just don't see why people make it a point to post about it .. No one gives a flying **** ..

exactly
TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts
Happened to me a month ago,,, i was kinda upset and bored for awhile, but after 150 bucks it should take about two weeks and sony will either give you a new or refurbished model
liamabob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 liamabob
Member since 2004 • 1723 Posts
in an attempt to draw something positive from this, it at least sounds like customer services aren't a bunch of a**holes :P
coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 coughlanio
Member since 2005 • 4306 Posts
I'm lucky I got 2 year insurance out on my PS3 when I got it in December 08. I think if it lasts 2 years without giving up, it should be ok :)
TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts
in an attempt to draw something positive from this, it at least sounds like customer services aren't a bunch of a**holes :Pliamabob
Thats the best part of Sony I guess. If a dvd player, TV, washer or dryer break and are up on warranty, most companies will say @^&*^#! But for 150 if you ps3 breaks, Sony will give you a new or refurbished 1 within in 2 weeks. Not too bad
killzone_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 killzone_gamer
Member since 2007 • 2333 Posts
New or REFURBISHED? I'm getting a new PS3 one, or off to trading standards I go!