Is the Vita worth buying?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AP3Xoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AP3Xoblivion
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I'm away from home 5 days a week for work and only can play Xbox on the weekends. I'm wondering if the Vita is the handheld that's worth buying for when I'm away and need something to do. Persona 4 Gold looks absolutely amazing, but I didn't know if it was worth actually buying a Vita for. Have never tried one before. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated :)
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Yes, find a bundle you like, buy Persona 4:Golden, Gravity Rush, Little Big Planet Vita, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Mutant Space Blobs, and Sound Shapes. Also get at least the 8 GB memory card.

It would also help to find some grips, they make it alot more comfortable to hold and are only 10 dollars.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

absolutely man... it's a great piece of hardware, except of gaming you'll also appreciate the other features it offers you! The graphics are the best you can get in a handheld device and the games library building up steadily, few months ago I'd say no to Vita (even though I bought it day 1) due to lack of games but now there are some decent games out and after E3 we'll get a major boost for sure. The price also droped now and don't forget that you can also play PS one and PSP games on it and it will be fully integrated with the future PS4.

So Yes it is worth buying...

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Check Craigslist and get one used. I got my 3G Vita with an 8 GB memory card, a case, and four games for 150 dollars. Paying new prices is a bit wacky but cheap Vitas can be had.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

If you have to ask then no. At least, not for you anyway.

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

Do it! Go now!

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

If you have to ask then no. At least, not for you anyway.

Gxgear
Pretty much this. If you can't find enough reasons yourself to buy one, you probably shouldn't. Buying something based on hype from other people isn't a good thing to do.
yaopingzhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yaopingzhu
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Definitely don't get it brand new. There are hardly any decent exclusives available for the Vita platform at present. Scoring yourself a second hand one with a few games thrown in might be the way to go.

Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts
It's a bang for your buck if you want something more tech-heavy and serious-gaming on the go than its counterpart. Just, for the love of all that's good, don't buy a new system with a closed mind, e.g you just want to play one genre and ignore the rest. Because the Vita's library isn't that varied yet. There's a lot of great games like P4G, Shinobido 2, Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Unit 13, off the top of my head. But, if you just noticed, each game barely resembles the other. Best of luck and let us know how it fares with you.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

If you're interested in some/most games currently available on PSV, then go for it..

Its a great handheld !!

AP3Xoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AP3Xoblivion
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Thanks everyone for the opinions. I haven't purchased a Sony product in years (PS2) but the Vita looked promising and the PS Store is full of great items, plus it has an ATLAS game so I'm basically sold. Always appreciated :)
V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 V3rciS

Thanks everyone for the opinions. I haven't purchased a Sony product in years (PS2) but the Vita looked promising and the PS Store is full of great items, plus it has an ATLAS game so I'm basically sold. Always appreciated :)AP3Xoblivion

just make sure to sunscribe to PSN plus as well, this way you can get free games and discount on many other. Also owning a PS vita + PSN plus account will make the upcomming PS4 a very sweet option.

Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kaisfate
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

[QUOTE="AP3Xoblivion"]Thanks everyone for the opinions. I haven't purchased a Sony product in years (PS2) but the Vita looked promising and the PS Store is full of great items, plus it has an ATLAS game so I'm basically sold. Always appreciated :)V3rciS

just make sure to sunscribe to PSN plus as well, this way you can get free games and discount on many other. Also owning a PS vita + PSN plus account will make the upcomming PS4 a very sweet option.

based on....? there is literally no info at all about the PS4, so how would you know if it is a "sweet option" or not?
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

Check out the games and see. Its definitely worth buying if there are games your interested in. The hardware itself is amazing.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Ofc it is
V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 V3rciS

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

[QUOTE="AP3Xoblivion"]Thanks everyone for the opinions. I haven't purchased a Sony product in years (PS2) but the Vita looked promising and the PS Store is full of great items, plus it has an ATLAS game so I'm basically sold. Always appreciated :)Kaisfate

based on....? there is literally no info at all about the PS4, so how would you know if it is a "sweet option" or not?

Well I don't know maybe cause that makes sense? I mean it's obvious that Vita will cooperate a lot with the upcomming PS4, it already does with PS3 but not to the level Sony wanted it, so I can see them trying harder with PS4... and PSN Plus at the moment has like the best deals on games. Even offering some good games for free...

I just can't understand what exactly you found to be so absurd in my comment?

aryanbrar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 aryanbrar
Member since 2004 • 2101 Posts

no its not worth it currently. 3ds is the better choice currently, but vita will also be viable in few months. price cut(probably a new cheaper model) and lots of good games. so either wait few months for vita or buy a 3ds.

Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kaisfate

no its not worth it currently. 3ds is the better choice currently, but vita will also be viable in few months. price cut(probably a new cheaper model) and lots of good games. so either wait few months for vita or buy a 3ds.

aryanbrar

"lots" of good games..... being.....? the vita currently has about 5 or so games worth buying and playing, with soul sacrifice and sly coming out soon, and pretty much the only games of note in 2013 since killzone has no release date. that makes about 7-8 good games. hardly "lots" the vita is an amazing device, but currently (and for the foreseeable future) i see no reason at all for anyone to buy one. that is purely sony's fault too, because if they would just show some support and announce some games, it would be an easy recommendation. a Monster hunter 4 port, and an RE Revelations port would go a long way to saving the system.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

[QUOTE="aryanbrar"]

Kaisfate

"lots" of good games..... being.....? the vita currently has about 5 or so games worth buying and playing, with soul sacrifice and sly coming out soon, and pretty much the only games of note in 2013 since killzone has no release date. that makes about 7-8 good games. hardly "lots" the vita is an amazing device, but currently (and for the foreseeable future) i see no reason at all for anyone to buy one. that is purely sony's fault too, because if they would just show some support and announce some games, it would be an easy recommendation. a Monster hunter 4 port, and an RE Revelations port would go a long way to saving the system.

Well you see differently than others...

PSV doesnt offer hundreds of games but it does have great ones

Uncharted, LBP, Gravity Rush, Assassins Creed, Persona, PSABR, Wipeout, Unit13, Disgea, Fifa, SFxTekken, Mortal kombat, Blazblue, NFS, Rayman Origins, UMvC3 etc

Coming up there are also games like Killzone, Tearaway, DOA5+, Phantasy Star Online 2, Malicious, Guacamelee, NGS2+, Muramasa, Legend of Heroes, Ratchet & Clank, Soul Sacrifice, Warriors Lair, Sly and others... (Not bad imo)

you see only 5 games worth buying, others (incl myself) see more...

I dont know how much free time/money people have but is not like a system needs 8 great games to release per month in order to consider its library good..

redmangoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 redmangoose
Member since 2006 • 397 Posts

Really depends on what games you're into.
Do you have a 3DS already? If not, then it's definitely a better investment(for now anyway).
It has a decent library of good first-party Nintendo games.
(2 Mario side-scrollers, Paper Mario, Mario Kart 7, Zelda: OoT, Kid Icarus: Uprising)
and games like Fire Emblem: Awakening, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 2 are coming out this year as well.
Zero Escape is a great game if your into story puzzles and so is Prof. Layton Miracle Mask of course, the former of which
is also on the Vita and actually a better port on the PSV.
If you like Persona, you might like SMT:Soul Hackers which is getting ported and localized for the 3DS. It follows more
of a traditional SMT game, so it's not nearly as "anime-ish" as P4. I personally like the Persona series better since
it's more accesible to most gamers and the style appeals more to me.
If you're a fan of Monster Hunter, 3 Ultimate and 4 are both going to be 3DS exclusives(there are rumors that the latter
is going to be on PSV as well though).
Just recently Project X Zone(a tactical Sega, Namco, Capcom crossover) has been announced for localization.
Pokemon XY and Ace Attorney 5 are somewhere in the distant or not so distant future.

Alot of the PSV games out now are ports of previously released games. Alot of them fighting games.
And some of them my be purchasable through Xbox I think. Not a whole lot of exclusives.

Sorry if I came in here sounding like I was advertising for 3DS. Just throwing my opinion out there.
Hope it was helpful though. My eyes are dead and I'm head to bed.

Oh, and if you do decide to get Vita and P4Golden, I'll guarantee you'll have a blast :D
(IF you're into traditional JRPGS with an anime theme). Definitely a good vacation game.
I think easily logged in more than a 100 hours on the original for PS2.

Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kaisfate

[QUOTE="Kaisfate"]

[QUOTE="aryanbrar"]

Malta_1980

Uncharted, LBP, Gravity Rush, Assassins Creed, Persona, PSABR, Wipeout, Unit13, Disgea, Fifa, SFxTekken, Mortal kombat, Blazblue, NFS, Rayman Origins, UMvC3 etc

Coming up there are also games like Killzone, Tearaway, DOA5+, Phantasy Star Online 2, Malicious, Guacamelee, NGS2+, Muramasa, Legend of Heroes, Ratchet & Clank, Soul Sacrifice, Warriors Lair, Sly and others... (Not bad imo)

I dont know how much free time/money people have but is not like a system needs 8 great games to release per month in order to consider its library good..

when it is put up against a handheld like the 3DS, that seems to be securing amazing games left and right lately... yeah, it kinda does or nobody is going to buy it. for a consumer today, deciding between a vita and a 3DS is an easy choice. this isnt the gameboy anymore, the 3DS is not relying on first party games to stand out. It actually has more 3rd party games lined up right now that look amazing than first party. vita on the other hand, has a handful of good games, with very few on the horizon, a much higher price tag and exorbitant prices on memory cards. its not hard to see why it isnt selling well. the really unbelievable thing is that sony really just doesnt seem to care. i mean, if they did, surely there would be some sort of marketing going on.... a price cut..... money being thrown at devs to make games for the vita..... SOMETHING. as it stands, they are doing none of these things.
aryanbrar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 aryanbrar
Member since 2004 • 2101 Posts

lets be honest i haven't seen any 3ds game look as good as a avg vita game. 3ds despite having good games currently doesn't have a lot to offer either. both handhelds are losing to smart phones/tablets.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Toxic-Seahorse

lets be honest i haven't seen any 3ds game look as good as a avg vita game. 3ds despite having good games currently doesn't have a lot to offer either. both handhelds are losing to smart phones/tablets.

aryanbrar
The 3DS isn't losing to smartphones or tablets. The thing is selling like crazy. The smartphone is a completely different market. You won't get anything on a phone like what you can get on a Vita or a 3DS. Saying smartphones are beating them is like saying consoles are beating them, it isn't really the same market.
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts
[QUOTE="aryanbrar"]

Toxic-Seahorse
The 3DS isn't losing to smartphones or tablets. The thing is selling like crazy. The smartphone is a completely different market. You won't get anything on a phone like what you can get on a Vita or a 3DS. Saying smartphones are beating them is like saying consoles are beating them, it isn't really the same market.

That's one perspective.. but IMO, they're much more of a direct competitor than any home console: "mobile entertainment and priced closely". The VITA and phablets have a lot of overlapping features. Nintendo will survive because of the Nintendo legacy (IPs such as Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, now main MH, etc.).. The VITA seems to have a dodgy future for now.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="aryanbrar"]

j2zon2591

That's one perspective.. but IMO, they're much more of a direct competitor than any home console: "mobile entertainment and priced closely". The VITA and phablets have a lot of overlapping features. Nintendo will survive because of the Nintendo legacy (IPs such as Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, now main MH, etc.).. The VITA seems to have a dodgy future for now.

The Vita's dodgy future is due to its lack of support, not its competition. Nobody is going to choose a smartphone over a Vita for gaming, gaming on smartphones just isn't a good experience. Touch only controls don't work well for games.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#26 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

[QUOTE="Kaisfate"] "lots" of good games..... being.....? the vita currently has about 5 or so games worth buying and playing, with soul sacrifice and sly coming out soon, and pretty much the only games of note in 2013 since killzone has no release date. that makes about 7-8 good games. hardly "lots" the vita is an amazing device, but currently (and for the foreseeable future) i see no reason at all for anyone to buy one. that is purely sony's fault too, because if they would just show some support and announce some games, it would be an easy recommendation. a Monster hunter 4 port, and an RE Revelations port would go a long way to saving the system.

Kaisfate

when it is put up against a handheld like the 3DS, that seems to be securing amazing games left and right lately... yeah, it kinda does or nobody is going to buy it. for a consumer today, deciding between a vita and a 3DS is an easy choice. this isnt the gameboy anymore, the 3DS is not relying on first party games to stand out. It actually has more 3rd party games lined up right now that look amazing than first party. vita on the other hand, has a handful of good games, with very few on the horizon, a much higher price tag and exorbitant prices on memory cards. its not hard to see why it isnt selling well. the really unbelievable thing is that sony really just doesnt seem to care. i mean, if they did, surely there would be some sort of marketing going on.... a price cut..... money being thrown at devs to make games for the vita..... SOMETHING. as it stands, they are doing none of these things.

Well said. This is exactly why the Vita is already lagging behind. Sony just doesnt seem to care about it. There are very few games out that arent just ports of console games, and there are few games even on the horizon. Im thinking that Sony is going to spend all E3 hyping the PS4 and not even mention the Vita this year. Sad really. I admit it is by far the best portable system technically, but with the way Sony is treating it I see zero reason to buy one because I dont even know how long it will be supported. Not to mention why should I have to pay 300$ just for the privilage of playing games I already have on PS3 on the go? Any system- portable or not- needs to have compelling exclusive games, not most of its library being re-releases of what already exists.