Is the PS Vita worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SilverBlade1805
SilverBlade1805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SilverBlade1805
Member since 2012 • 69 Posts

Hello once again.So I wanted to ask if the PS Vita was worth buying.Yes this question has been asked many times,but still,I want to know if it is worth buying.Anything I should know about it if I do pick it up?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Depends if you own any other PS systems. If you don't, then yes, it's worth owning. If you do, then probably not unless you can get it very cheap.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@SilverBlade1805: depends, do you use handhelds a lot? Do you like the games on it?

chaos__shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By chaos__shadow
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts

I'm gonna say no all around unless you can find a very very good deal. I'm talking $100 or less in good condition. Excellent piece of hardware with great potential, but Sony completely failed with marketing, promoting, developing software and enticing third parties. It has a few games that are worth getting, but it's life span is rapidly coming to an end, and it just barely began. Sony even gave up on the Vita last year saying they will no longer develop first party titles for the system. Pretty sad especially considering I have one. It's an excellent handheld though and I love mine. I just don't think it'll be a great ROI if you buy it full price with Sony basically ditching it.

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

For the time.

str88upreviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 str88upreviews
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

im going to say this the vita is only worth it if you just really want the games that you like to buy... i have all of most of the fighting games on the ps vita so that is why i m keeping mine. Sony really wont put any good games out for the vita anymore and its an shame ....

Loading Video...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Last_Ride

you haven't answered my question so it's hard to answer really

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

The way I see it, there is no other handheld that is better except the PSP.

"Anything I should know about it if I do pick it up?" Yes. Avoid the slim model like the plague, because the screen is truly bad. But if you get the OLED model, some units have a creaky L buttons, so watch out for that too. Lastly, you shouldn't stress too much over what size of memory stick to get, since Sony offers 3 different ways of transferring save data to another memory stick if you ever decide to upgrade. 1) using a PS3, b) using a PC, c) using cloud storage, only catch is that using cloud storage requires PS Plus subtime and 1 month of Plus costs $9.99.
Also, the PSN version of All Stars Battle Royale has audio glitches. There is music half the time. You'd expect this sort of thing for PSP Go, but not Vita, and especially not from a first party title that received many updates.

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

I think smartphones may have killed, or severely maimed the handheld industry.

It sucks because I've always loved handhelds.

So I bought one anyway, but I haven't really used it.

It just really needs more games.

SilverBlade1805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SilverBlade1805

@The_Last_Ride Yeah I do play in handhelds a lot,almost as much as if not more than I play consoles. Yep I am interested in its library,at least some of it.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Last_Ride

@SilverBlade1805 said:

@The_Last_Ride Yeah I do play in handhelds a lot,almost as much as if not more than I play consoles. Yep I am interested in its library,at least some of it.

Then i recommend you get it, i like it and if you play handheld games a lot. Then get it

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I recommend it if you :

1) Have ps plus

2) Have any interest in persona 4 golden.

3) Have a ps4 for remote play.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

@SilverBlade1805

I have both a Vita and a 3DS. I love them both for different reasons.

Vita seems to be richer in games that could be played in shorter spurts, but they are so addicting that they can still be enjoyed for hours. Because of this nature, I more often carry it around a lot more than my 3DS because there are so many fun games on it that I can just "jump in and out" of. Sure, a lot of them are indie based, but I thoroughly enjoy them.

That's not to say that there aren't games that you can't sit down with for long periods. You still have things like Persona or Hot Shots Golf that could take up hours of your time. They just aren't as frequent.

Having almost the entire PSX library on there helps a lot too.

Saying all that, having PSplus is a must because the amount of games it gives you access to almost pays for the system itself. (I have close to 100 games now because of it due to offered games and discounts.)

Cross-buy functionality and remote play are just icing on the cake.

---

Also, having said all that, I love my 3DS also because they are richer in the titles that you could play more like a console game. (Games like Bravely Default, Zelda and Mario games, etc.) The only thing here is that I am more likely to prepare myself to spend an afternoon in my own home playing 3DS.

In conclusion, both are excellent handhelds worth owning. Just make sure you get that PSplus if you go through with it to get your discounts and access to the games offered each month.

Good luck!

JCott2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JCott2

I believe as someone else pointed out the cellphone market has really pushed the portable console market out. It will push it out as more phones become affordable, with faster processing speeds and larger screen sizes. After all, the smartphone was made to combine the pluses of many devices into one, and smarter game makers have capitalized on it. Of course the Vita will have a foothold and advantage in gameplay, speed and graphics. In order to really compete they need to make the screen bigger and incorporate the buttons into the screen somehow. Sometimes it seems that ipads and tablets provide a better gaming experience with their screens. Of course game selection and customer support is something that can set a handheld device as well http://helprace.com/

TheFattiShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#16 TheFattiShow
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I just bought a VITA a few months ago and I really love it! And I'm for the most part a guy who only plays the big beautiful AAA games like Uncharted, GTA, Far Cry etc.! But that is the beauty with this system, here I can play all the cool indie games, quirky platformers and stuff like that. Things I don't wanna use my big power-house PS4 for! But of course there are a few big games and they are equally as good on the VITA. Also because of the lak of big shiny expensive AAA games, all the new good games that comes out every week they're much much cheaper...

I don't care about the guys in here who says that smartphones and tablets will take over the mobile gaming industry! While that may be true, I't won't be in this console generation and who wants to sit and count the days till armageddon when you can play on a handheld gaming device instead?!? These are the same people who always runs around with some old tech and refuse to buy something new cause "I'll wait 5 more months and then..." Hell no, enjoy life, enjoy gaming and enjoy a handheld gaming device while You're living and since You asked about the VITA:

I love my VITA and would recommend one any day of the week!

Pssst... And if You buy one and you really like it, remember to buy a bigger memory card! I have a 8GB with 19 games on it and it's almost full...

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

It's the best handheld ever made, but do you want ports? There are a handful of exclusive games for it, but most are ports of old games or handheld versions of contemporary console games. Most of my gaming devices are collecting dust, especially the Wii U. I enjoyed Revelations 2 on PS4 and might get the Vita version too, but I'm kind of burnt out on that game by now.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

It's a nice handheld, been playing Rayman Origins with it and just got SFxT and DOA5 for 12€ lol.

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts

No.

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fize4ever
Member since 2009 • 1652 Posts

Yes.

Uncharted

Shinobido 2

Gravity Rush

P4G

NLKS

Killzone

WipeOut

Army Corps of Hell

Off the top of my head, and that's just exclusives. There's plenty of great games to play on the go.

GGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GGames

I have PS2, PS3, PS4 and PS Vita (i think i got two, one is blue and smaller while the other one is black and bigger). I spend most of my time with PS4. If you have PS4, you won't remember other consoles. Though PS Vita is good since you can bring it anywhere you want.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

I don't think so. Persona 4 Golden has been the only thing I've really enjoyed except the Hatsune Miku games which are available on PS3 and I've had it for a few years now.

Plus memory cards are expensive as hell.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

Are you okay with ports or older games from the PC, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP? If yes, then yes it is worth it. Are you okay with little a small range of exclusives? If yes, then yes it is worth it. Otherwise, no. I love mine. I play it far more than my 3DS. Love the screen, the responsiveness, the multimedia features, and the size of it. Love all the older games and the ports. Best handheld I've owned since the DS.

Stereodant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Stereodant
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

Depends. Are you only interested in the games and not the portability? If so, PSTV would suffice for some of the killer apps (Danganronpa, Persona 4 Golden, etc) but is unfortunately incompatible with other ones like Tearaway and Gravity Rush. Of course if it's the portability you're after, that's a non-issue.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

For me it was worth it.. Surely I am disappointed by Sony for lack of proper support however there are many great games available.

At the moment I have a games library of 28 games for Vita and with PSN it is nice getting free games..

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I own one, and I can tell you that I regret buying it. It basically just plays ports of PS3 and PS4 games. I don't use remote play. It's sad because it had so much potential but it's like Sony never gave it a fighting chance and just wrote it off as a PS4 accessory.

SilverBlade1805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SilverBlade1805

Thanks for all the feedback! Definitely going to help my decision.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#28 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

It's a portable PSone with the ability to play some PS3 on top of all digital PSP games. It's not worth it on its own and I do not recommend it if that's the case. However, if you are a ps plus member with a PS4 already then absolutely!

pauleked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pauleked
Member since 2015 • 37 Posts

Do you like being portable? To me that's the main plus for vita. If you don't care about portability, I would say skip it and get PS4 or PS3.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

Check and see if it has the games you like. There are more great games on the system then people would have you believe. With that said Sony's future support for the system might be minimal going forward when reading articles online.