Is the Jak series still worth playing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

getsmizacked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 getsmizacked
Member since 2012 • 67 Posts

I missed out on a lot of last gen. To give you an idea of my playing tastes:

I enjoyed Sly 1 because of its classic platforming.

I finished Sly 2 but it felt like a chore because it was less platforming and less Sly.

I can't motivate myself to get past the first 2 hours of Sly 3.

So based on the above ^^^, I'm guessing the first Jak would be my style, right?

Should I bother with 2 and 3?

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

Its always worth playing .. especially if you havent played it before, its a great game and alot of fun.

Also when you've done that have a look at ratchet and clank..

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#3 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Yes they're good games, even now after all these years. Especially the first one.

Avatar image for Rioichi21Cooper
Rioichi21Cooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Rioichi21Cooper
Member since 2012 • 246 Posts

Yeah, try out Ratchet and Clank as well!

glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 glitch2424
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

To give you an idea of my playing tastes:

I finished Sly 2 but it felt like a chore because it was less platforming and less Sly.

getsmizacked

I have the exact same position as you...it's unbelievable actually. Exact same experience as above, except i got to about 8-9 hours of sly 3 as opposed to 2 hours. 

As for playing the Jak series - Jak 1 was ALL platforming and collecting (trust me, it becomes really tedious). But it might be worth playing though, but keep in mind you're collecting orbs for pretty much 90% of the game. Jak 2 was a GTA clone, and the difficulty was frustrating, and there was hardly any change in scenery (just a very blue, dark town). Jak 3 is arguably the best in the series, and tries to incoroporate the old (jak1's platforming and scenery) with the new (jak2's driving sequences). The only reason why you can't skip directly to jak3 is b/c you'll be missing a lot about the story - maybe you can just look it up?

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Played through the collection last year with no prior experience aside from Jak 3 back in the PS2 days.

They're all sound titles, Jak 2's checkpoint system can make for some rage inducing moments but overall they're quality games.

getsmizacked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 getsmizacked
Member since 2012 • 67 Posts

[QUOTE="getsmizacked"]

glitch2424

I have the exact same position as you...it's unbelievable actually. Exact same experience as above, except i got to about 8-9 hours of sly 3 as opposed to 2 hours. 

As for playing the Jak series - Jak 1 was ALL platforming and collecting (trust me, it becomes really tedious). But it might be worth playing though, but keep in mind you're collecting orbs for pretty much 90% of the game. Jak 2 was a GTA clone, and the difficulty was frustrating, and there was hardly any change in scenery (just a very blue, dark town). Jak 3 is arguably the best in the series, and tries to incoroporate the old (jak1's platforming and scenery) with the new (jak2's driving sequences). The only reason why you can't skip directly to jak3 is b/c you'll be missing a lot about the story - maybe you can just look it up?

You guys are all making me not wanna play through any of them lol. Especially this post. I think I'll just skip to Rachet and Clank. Thanks for the responses everyone.
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 glitch2424
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

[QUOTE="glitch2424"]

[QUOTE="getsmizacked"]

getsmizacked

You guys are all making me not wanna play through any of them lol. Especially this post. I think I'll just skip to Rachet and Clank. Thanks for the responses everyone.

HAHA! :) I'm sorry my opinion drove you away - honestly, ratchet IS the better series in terms of fun, but jak ALWAYS had the better platforming gameplay. It really is too bad you can't skip to jak 3, and that jak 1 doesn't have more varied gameplay mechanics. If you're gonna take some advice from me, look up gameplay from jak 1 (at least look at gameplay 1 hour into the game - watch a let's play or something), and see if you can envision yourself having fun with this game. If not, ratchet series it is. I can't recommend skipping to jak 3 b/c of the story - the only way you'll appreciate that game more

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
yes
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

yes

H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts

[QUOTE="getsmizacked"][QUOTE="glitch2424"]

glitch2424

HAHA! :) I'm sorry my opinion drove you away - honestly, ratchet IS the better series in terms of fun, but jak ALWAYS had the better platforming gameplay. It really is too bad you can't skip to jak 3, and that jak 1 doesn't have more varied gameplay mechanics. If you're gonna take some advice from me, look up gameplay from jak 1 (at least look at gameplay 1 hour into the game - watch a let's play or something), and see if you can envision yourself having fun with this game. If not, ratchet series it is. I can't recommend skipping to jak 3 b/c of the story - the only way you'll appreciate that game more

TC, you would be at a big loss, if you skipped Jak and Daxter, I just received my copy in the post a few days ago and I'm just on Jak 1 and its a fine game.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Yes. J&D is a fantastic series.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Play Jak & Daxter, skip the others. Jak 2 is particularly awful, with arguably the single worst 'open world' hub of any game in history.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Yes they're good games, even now after all these years. Especially the first one.

Blueresident87

Yup! Was effin fun to platinum it for me.

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
Everyone must try out Jak2,i found it to be the best in series.
OceansBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OceansBloom
Member since 2011 • 91 Posts

Yes, it is.

Jyakotu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Jyakotu
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts
If you've never played the Jak series, then you are really missing out. It's a great platforming series, especially the first game. For the time it appeared on the PS2, it took platforming to a whole new level.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#18 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Having only played about a half hour of the first game last gen, and then playing the collection recently, absolutely. For the price and content, it's a no doubter. The first was my favorite of the bunch.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

First one is awesome, I'm currently playing the second one and I don't like it nearly as much as the first.

Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

I missed out on a lot of last gen. To give you an idea of my playing tastes:

So based on the above ^^^, I'm guessing the first Jak would be my style, right?

Should I bother with 2 and 3?

getsmizacked

I agree with you on the sly series.  As for Jak, you should be okay with the first one.  Can't say about the other two, because I never played them.