Is PS3 losing its steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gametradersf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gametradersf
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
First of all, let me make it clear that I am an absolute PS3 fan. I have an Xbox 360 as well simply because I wanted Kinect so badly last Christmas. Anyway, I just want to make a point that Sony seems to be losing steam on the PS3 console. The latest iteration of the console, PS3 Super Slim (should call it PS3 Mini), seems to further prove that point. While I would like to see another blockbuster game on PS3, 2012 seems to offer very little. The best game I have played so far in 2012 is Uncharted 3 which is by the way a 2011 release. As for PS Move, it is even more upsetting to know that there are so few games supporting that controller. And to add on, the price is not making it any more palatable for consumer. This holiday season, Sony has yet to offer anything to entice me. Sure PS Vita is cool, but what about PS3 gamers? Have you forgotten about us? I myself have been hitting on my Xbox more often then my PS3 now. Sony, please give me more reasons to continue being a PS3 fan please? I love the PS3 and would like to love the PS4 (if it is coming out next year). Sony, hope you can hear me and do something about this console that I have loved since I got my first Playstation One more than 15 years ago?
punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts
[QUOTE="gametradersf"]First of all, let me make it clear that I am an absolute PS3 fan. I have an Xbox 360 as well simply because I wanted Kinect so badly last Christmas. Anyway, I just want to make a point that Sony seems to be losing steam on the PS3 console. The latest iteration of the console, PS3 Super Slim (should call it PS3 Mini), seems to further prove that point. While I would like to see another blockbuster game on PS3, 2012 seems to offer very little. The best game I have played so far in 2012 is Uncharted 3 which is by the way a 2011 release. As for PS Move, it is even more upsetting to know that there are so few games supporting that controller. And to add on, the price is not making it any more palatable for consumer. This holiday season, Sony has yet to offer anything to entice me. Sure PS Vita is cool, but what about PS3 gamers? Have you forgotten about us? I myself have been hitting on my Xbox more often then my PS3 now. Sony, please give me more reasons to continue being a PS3 fan please? I love the PS3 and would like to love the PS4 (if it is coming out next year). Sony, hope you can hear me and do something about this console that I have loved since I got my first Playstation One more than 15 years ago?

The modern gaming sector has moved away from big releases during the last 3 months of the year. Mainly so back stock can sell during the holidays. And less focus on actual new games. Then come the first 3 months(usually march) new stuff gets released again. But this gen is over with. The new systems will be coming out late next year . Well find out most info im sure at E3. So most new games that will be coming are gonna be held back for the 2 new systems(lets be honest nobody really cares about the WiiU). Honeslty I even thought the new GTA5 game would be pushed back for a first wave game on PS4/X-box 720.
Jyakotu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Jyakotu
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts
2013 is definitely going to be a great year for gamers. The PS3 has some blockbuster titles coming and more information on the next PlayStation should come to light. But one thing we have to give Sony credit for is that they will support a system for a long time. Even when the PS3 released, there were still games being released for the PS2. I'm sure it's going to be the same way whenever the next PlayStation is announced.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
Eh every platform has it's moments. I take this time to play some HD collections and backlog games, aswell as play pc games.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Pretty much all the good stuff is coming next year, PS3's 2012 has had little other than family friendly games. God of War Ascension, The Last Of Us, Beyond: 2 Souls and Sly 4 are Sony developed/published games coming in 2013. I think there's some horror game that supports Move coming next year too.
EastMagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 EastMagi
Member since 2012 • 141 Posts
I own all of the consoles from Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony. In fact, I recently bought the PS3 super slim that came packaged with the Assassins Creed 3 game. I think PS3 still has a lot going on for a system of its age. I agree that there aren't that many exclusives for it to outshine other consoles at the moment ( the Xbox 360 practically carries the exact same game library as the PS3). But I'm definitely looking forward to The Last of Us which just recently got a released date (May 7, 2013, yay!). This game is developed by Naughty Dog, the same company that did Uncharted 3. I'm also super excited for the upcoming RPG - Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch because the artwork is done by my favorite animation studio - Studio Ghibli (of Spirited Away, Secret of Arietty, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, etc). A demo was recently released and I've been seeing a lot of favorable previews from gamers. As for the current releases, there are so many great games that I just literally don't have the time to play them. I just finished Resident Evil 6 - all 4 campaigns, and I think it was a pretty good game overall. It's a game with a lot of replay value, in my opinion anyway. Then there's Far Cry 3 that was just released this week. Its been hitting high scores according to Metacritic - 91% average. That is pretty exciting. I'm thinking about checking it out soon since my local Fry's Electronics is having it on sale for $49.99. Then there's also Assassins Creed 3 (Amazon is selling it right now for $33), Black Ops 2, Mass Effect 3 ($22 on Amazon), etc. By the way, if anyone is looking for great deals on videogames, check out my website where I try to compile the greatest deals that are currently happening into one central page. Check it out if you like: http://filmgamesetc.com/category/deals-savings/
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Not in my eyes. There have been a boat-load of great games released over the last year, with many more on the horizon.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#8 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

No sir, Even though Sony has been up on the ropes alot this-gen they always bounce back. Sony did make some bad moves but you better believe those mistakes are being corrected for now and next-gen. Look at the block buster tittles that are coming out next year The Last of Us alone will put the PS3 back in the spotlight.

Sony might not be top dog this-gen "BUT" they are "FAR" from being done.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
I don't think the PS3 is losing steam at all. I think you're confusing losing steam with twilight years of the consoles. Rumors of next gen are in the air, and we all know they're coming; devs know this too. Next year is jam packed full of great exclusives for PS3. Just because every week there isn't a must-own game coming out doesn't mean doom and gloom. In regards to the PS Move, that was just a waste of time and effort all around from Sony. It was nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction to the success of the Wii and let's not pretend it was anything more. They would be wise to let that peripheral die a quiet death and never speak of it again.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
For sure, Sony is gearing up for PS4... Still, next year we get The Last Of Us and Beyond: Two Souls next year.. Which look like games I will enjoy very much.
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

since the PS3 total sales are getting very near the X360 sales, it seems to do well (and considering the X360 destroys it in USA)

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

The PS3 has never really had steam. Worldwide the system sells pretty good, but in individual territories the sales slump now and again. There are plenty of games on the horizon

You have got:

Ni No Kuni

Sly Cooper

God of War Ascension

The Last of Us

Tales of Xillia

Puppeteer

Until Dawn

Beyond Two Souls

The Last Guardian?

Those are just the exclusive games that we know about coming to the platform next year

You also have multiplats such as

Tomb Raider

DMC

Metal Gear Rising

Aliens Colonial Marines

Fuse

Bioshock Infinite

DC Unjustice

Dark Souls 2?

Remember Me

Tekken X Street Fighter?

Grand Theft Auto 5

The real question is what games are not coming to PS3. Most third parties are putting their games on all platforms.

Games like Dishonored, Doom 3, Sonic All Stars Racing, Sleeping Dogs, and Darksiders 2 came out. Those all seem to be pretty good from what I have seen.

jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts

The PS3 has never really had steam. Worldwide the system sells pretty good, but in individual territories the sales slump now and again. There are plenty of games on the horizon

You have got:

Ni No Kuni

Sly Cooper

God of War Ascension

The Last of Us

Tales of Xillia

Puppeteer

Until Dawn

Beyond Two Souls

The Last Guardian

Those are just the exclusive games that we know about coming to the platform next year

You also have multiplats such as

Tomb Raider

DMC

Metal Gear Rising

Aliens Colonial Marines

Fuse

Bioshock Infinite

DC Unjustice

Dark Souls 2?

Remember Me

Tekken X Street Fighter?

Grand Theft Auto 5

The real question is what games are not coming to PS3. Most third parties are putting their games on all platforms.

Games like Dishonored, Doom 3, Sonic All Stars Racing, Sleeping Dogs, and Darksiders 2 came out. Those all seem to be pretty good from what I have seen.

gamenerd15
please take the last guardian off the list. its a great list without including games that likely aren't coming.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

They came out with the Vita a while back and are of course putting a lot of resources into games for it. Which detracts a bit from the exclusives for the PS3, and some of them are by the same developers.

Salanderr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Salanderr
Member since 2012 • 42 Posts

On the contray, I think the PS3 is only getting better and better. On one hand we have the 360. A console with only two exclusive series anyone cares about. Halo and Gears. And all Microsoft keeps doing is making more Halo and more Gears. It's a bit boring when you think about it. Nothing new ever happens over there except when it comes to those two games, which are both sci-fi shooters.

Sony on the other hand has a lot more exclusives than just two major title. A lot of GOOD exlucives too. And they aren't all in the same boring genre. 360 may be the console before people who like to shoot things and yell at people over a mic, but when it comes to artistic, unqique, intelletcual and adult games then Sony is where you should be. With games like Journey out this year, and new titles/possible series with Beyond and The Last of Us I'd say PS3 is at the top of it's feild. At least Sony isn't just announcing more of the same over and over, but trying new and different things.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

So...you don't play multiplats?

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#17 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Definitely not, next year is going to be awesome, and PS4 is something to truly look forward to.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamenerd15

The Last Guardian has to come out next year no matter what state is in. If Sony does not release the game next year, then all bets are off. I am not looking forward to the game either, but the title has to come out next year. If the Last of Us and other titles are coming in the first two quarters of the year, then Sony is going need games to sell PS3's in the fall. Until Dawn is not going to sell systems because it requires Move. Puppeteer is not going to sell systems because people might blow that off as another Little Big Planet. Sony is going to need more than Beyond: Two Souls to sell PS3's next holiday season.

Nintatterdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nintatterdemon
Member since 2010 • 69 Posts

The last year or so of a console before a new one is usually a little slower because developers are starting to shift production towards games for the new console. I'm sure there's going to be some big hits though.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

Yakuza 5 just made it to the shelves. That's one great game to be ending this year with.

Salanderr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Salanderr
Member since 2012 • 42 Posts

So...you don't play multiplats?

Gxgear
Of course I do, but since this is a PS3 specific thread I thought I would talk about exclusives.
conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 conmbo2
Member since 2012 • 112 Posts

Yes it is losing steam, I own both consoles too. i do think the last of us will be excellent.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

there is still 2013. a couple of the games got delayed into 2013 its why 2012 isnt as packed with releases. psn on the other hand had a pretty good year

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
I dunno, with Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Dragon's Dogma, XCom, Binary Domain, Journey, (I really could care less about exclusives), and with Ni No Kuni and Metro Last Light on the horizon, I think the PS3 has plenty of steam. Keep in mind we are getting closer and closer to the next generation. So this might be the twilight of the PS3.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
See that's why I am happy to have gotten a PS3 just last year. This crap doesn't effect me. I ciuldnt care less that the PS3 didn't get as many games as some would like. I still have a lot of games to buy before I start worrying about what has (or hasn't) released this year. So while some are complaining, I am still trying to figure out what my next Ps3 game will be out of the 20+ games I have on my wish list on Amazon.
Nophoria88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Nophoria88
Member since 2010 • 410 Posts
See that's why I am happy to have gotten a PS3 just last year. This crap doesn't effect me. I ciuldnt care less that the PS3 didn't get as many games as some would like. I still have a lot of games to buy before I start worrying about what has (or hasn't) released this year. So while some are complaining, I am still trying to figure out what my next Ps3 game will be out of the 20+ games I have on my wish list on Amazon.AmazonTreeBoa
Lol ikr! I'm so glad I finally went to PS3 at the start of the year, so many great games, HD remakes & exclusives. If anything 360 has already lost its steam some time ago, if not from lack of exclusives, then from a hardware and online service standpoint (DVD watching & pay to play online?). The 360 hardware and service is stuck in the past, PS3 has ended up delivering where it has not.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gamenerd15

See that's why I am happy to have gotten a PS3 just last year. This crap doesn't effect me. I ciuldnt care less that the PS3 didn't get as many games as some would like. I still have a lot of games to buy before I start worrying about what has (or hasn't) released this year. So while some are complaining, I am still trying to figure out what my next Ps3 game will be out of the 20+ games I have on my wish list on Amazon.AmazonTreeBoa

I doubt that most early PS3 adopters have played every cool game that has come to the platform. There is always games to be played on a platform other than maybe around launch.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

First of all, let me make it clear that I am an absolute PS3 fan. I have an Xbox 360 as well simply because I wanted Kinect so badly last Christmas. Anyway, I just want to make a point that Sony seems to be losing steam on the PS3 console. The latest iteration of the console, PS3 Super Slim (should call it PS3 Mini), seems to further prove that point. While I would like to see another blockbuster game on PS3, 2012 seems to offer very little. The best game I have played so far in 2012 is Uncharted 3 which is by the way a 2011 release. As for PS Move, it is even more upsetting to know that there are so few games supporting that controller. And to add on, the price is not making it any more palatable for consumer. This holiday season, Sony has yet to offer anything to entice me. Sure PS Vita is cool, but what about PS3 gamers? Have you forgotten about us? I myself have been hitting on my Xbox more often then my PS3 now. Sony, please give me more reasons to continue being a PS3 fan please? I love the PS3 and would like to love the PS4 (if it is coming out next year). Sony, hope you can hear me and do something about this console that I have loved since I got my first Playstation One more than 15 years ago?gametradersf

Losing steam? What does that mean? Are you saying that a 7 year old video game system isn't in "demand" as it was in the earlier life cycle? Of course it isn't gonna have steam in that aspect and neither is the xbox 360. Mostly all the videogamers already have their systems by now so I don't expect to see big sales in the systems. Pointing out the super slim isn't saying anything. It is still a 7 year old system and making it slightly smaller and putting lines in it won't make me and many others repurchase it. As for the games, there is still plenty of steam in 2012... maybe not compared to the big hits of 2011 like batman:arkham city and UC:3 but 2012 still had great games like Far Cry 3, Max Payne 3, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Hitman: Absolution, Journey, etc. And if you like sports, NBA 2K13 was very highly rated. I am disappointed in the fighting games we have been seeing in 2012.... The Vs. and all the tags aren't my thing.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
2013 is looking better for exclusives with Sly 4 and The Last of Us.
Nophoria88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nophoria88
^And Ni No Kuni, God of War Ascension too to name a couple more. We got Okami HD just recently too.
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

To me, the PS3 is still going strong. It's the 360 that I'd say is losing steam.

I bought both systems at launch. The 360 was my preferred one. Xbox Live was (still is) awesome. All the multiplats looked and played better on the 360. Of course, there was Gears of War, as well the Xbox Live Arcade.

I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point, the PS3 seemed to have more interesting and diverse content. PS Home really became something cool. The multiplats were finally on-par with Xbox. PSN started offering really cool stuff like Flower and Journey. It seemed like the 360 just became a FPS console. And now, I mostly game on the PS3.

The PSN just got a cool face-lift. I haven't checked out Home in a while so I know there's lots to do there. I'm definitely looking forward to The Last of Us. And my last purchases were on the PS3 (the Walking Dead, XCOM, FIFA 13 - granted, these are also on 360), so I know I'll be playing my PS3 a lot in the next few months.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

First of all, let me make it clear that I am an absolute PS3 fan. I have an Xbox 360 as well simply because I wanted Kinect so badly last Christmas. Anyway, I just want to make a point that Sony seems to be losing steam on the PS3 console. The latest iteration of the console, PS3 Super Slim (should call it PS3 Mini), seems to further prove that point. While I would like to see another blockbuster game on PS3, 2012 seems to offer very little. The best game I have played so far in 2012 is Uncharted 3 which is by the way a 2011 release. As for PS Move, it is even more upsetting to know that there are so few games supporting that controller. And to add on, the price is not making it any more palatable for consumer. This holiday season, Sony has yet to offer anything to entice me. Sure PS Vita is cool, but what about PS3 gamers? Have you forgotten about us? I myself have been hitting on my Xbox more often then my PS3 now. Sony, please give me more reasons to continue being a PS3 fan please? I love the PS3 and would like to love the PS4 (if it is coming out next year). Sony, hope you can hear me and do something about this console that I have loved since I got my first Playstation One more than 15 years ago?gametradersf

No one who plays the Wii or 360 is a True PS3 Fan!!!

You're either a PS Fan, a X Fan, a Nint Fan, a PC Fan, or you're a Gaming Fan (plays more than one of these)

Nophoria88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nophoria88

[QUOTE="gametradersf"]First of all, let me make it clear that I am an absolute PS3 fan. I have an Xbox 360 as well simply because I wanted Kinect so badly last Christmas. Anyway, I just want to make a point that Sony seems to be losing steam on the PS3 console. The latest iteration of the console, PS3 Super Slim (should call it PS3 Mini), seems to further prove that point. While I would like to see another blockbuster game on PS3, 2012 seems to offer very little. The best game I have played so far in 2012 is Uncharted 3 which is by the way a 2011 release. As for PS Move, it is even more upsetting to know that there are so few games supporting that controller. And to add on, the price is not making it any more palatable for consumer. This holiday season, Sony has yet to offer anything to entice me. Sure PS Vita is cool, but what about PS3 gamers? Have you forgotten about us? I myself have been hitting on my Xbox more often then my PS3 now. Sony, please give me more reasons to continue being a PS3 fan please? I love the PS3 and would like to love the PS4 (if it is coming out next year). Sony, hope you can hear me and do something about this console that I have loved since I got my first Playstation One more than 15 years ago?clr84651

You're either a PS Fan, a X Fan, a Nint Fan, a PC Fan, or you're a Gaming Fan (plays more than one of these)

no
jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts

[QUOTE="gametradersf"]First of all, let me make it clear that I am an absolute PS3 fan. I have an Xbox 360 as well simply because I wanted Kinect so badly last Christmas. Anyway, I just want to make a point that Sony seems to be losing steam on the PS3 console. The latest iteration of the console, PS3 Super Slim (should call it PS3 Mini), seems to further prove that point. While I would like to see another blockbuster game on PS3, 2012 seems to offer very little. The best game I have played so far in 2012 is Uncharted 3 which is by the way a 2011 release. As for PS Move, it is even more upsetting to know that there are so few games supporting that controller. And to add on, the price is not making it any more palatable for consumer. This holiday season, Sony has yet to offer anything to entice me. Sure PS Vita is cool, but what about PS3 gamers? Have you forgotten about us? I myself have been hitting on my Xbox more often then my PS3 now. Sony, please give me more reasons to continue being a PS3 fan please? I love the PS3 and would like to love the PS4 (if it is coming out next year). Sony, hope you can hear me and do something about this console that I have loved since I got my first Playstation One more than 15 years ago?clr84651

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

No, the 360 always outsells the PS3 2 months before christmas and PS3 outsells it the rest of the year.