Is Playstation Vita backwards compatible to PSP games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SGTDucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SGTDucks
Member since 2008 • 370 Posts

Can the Playstation Vita play psp games?

thanks in advance

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

thanks in advance

SGTDucks

Only PSP games downloaded off the PSP Store. There is not UMD drive in the PSV.

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1046 Posts

[QUOTE="SGTDucks"]

thanks in advance

Crossel777

Only PSP games downloaded off the PSP Store. There is not UMD drive in the PSV.

That irritates me a little but the lack of a umd drive is probably for the best.

The 249.99 is pretty amazing (it was good for the psp but now it is phenomenal for the Vita.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
great news for the PS fans! :) Vita ftw.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
Now they just need to pull ALL PSP games onto the PSN and actuallly have a way of registering our UMDs to our PSN accounts.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
Digital games will work with your Vita, but it wont have a UMD drive so those wont play on it.
Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
downloadable versions ya just like the ps3.
BlackestNightX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BlackestNightX
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
i hope rayman origins comes for the vita.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I wish they would put more PSP games on the PSN store like Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and Crisis Core.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

I think the Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep not being on the PS Store had something to do with Disney not wanting their games to be downloadable or some crap. I remember reading that somewhere. I really wanna get that game on the PS Store so I can also play it on PS Vita.

ale_gamr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ale_gamr
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts

i hope rayman origins comes for the vita.BlackestNightX

That's not gonna happen. That's gonna be on a Nintendo console.

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
Now they just need to pull ALL PSP games onto the PSN and actuallly have a way of registering our UMDs to our PSN accounts.tjoeb123
Right, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for THAT to happen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

[QUOTE="BlackestNightX"]i hope rayman origins comes for the vita.ale_gamr

That's not gonna happen. That's gonna be on a Nintendo console.

Well it's already coming to PS3, and XBOX360. Which I think is a good thing.
lewispetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lewispetty
Member since 2009 • 417 Posts

i wish that there was a ton more psp games on the playstation store

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts
great news for the PS fans! :) Vita ftw.SoAmazingBaby
Wait, isn't it bad news? You'd have to re-buy PSP games if you wanted to play them on the new system.
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
[QUOTE="SoAmazingBaby"]great news for the PS fans! :) Vita ftw.Englando_IV
Wait, isn't it bad news? You'd have to re-buy PSP games if you wanted to play them on the new system.

Play the games you have on UMD on your PSP, buy/keep playing any digital PSP games on your Vita. That's the best you can get, unless you will be willing to re-buy all your UMD games off the PSN-Store.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jak-25

I think the Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep not being on the PS Store had something to do with Disney not wanting their games to be downloadable or some crap. I remember reading that somewhere. I really wanna get that game on the PS Store so I can also play it on PS Vita.

Crossel777

lol Disney is always a problem. They have to make things harder more than in needs to be. They are missing out on a lot of sales by not puting it on the PSN store. I remember Square Enix saying that they are trying to get it on the PSN store but it might take a while. I have Birth by Sleep on UMD but I no longer have a PSP to play it on, and I don't want to buy a new PSP. I don't mind re-buying some games on the PSN store.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
I just noticed something that I haven't really heard anyone mention before, and hadn't really thought about myself.... The Vita will have exactly double the resolution of the PSP. Which means it won't have the scaling problems the 3DS has, and if anything, PSP games should look better on the Vita.
Live4laughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Live4laughs
Playstation could make quite a bit of money if they made like a umd drive that has like a usb plugin so that you can transfer them to your ps3 then digitally to the vita. Just a thought.
piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
with the ones on psn maybe
megaman30796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 megaman30796
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

one extremely importamt question:

i already have psp games in ISO format in my computer. if i have a VITA, can i put it in and play the psp game with the vita console? pls dont mention anything about UMD. i dont hav 1.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#22 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
Now they just need to pull ALL PSP games onto the PSN and actuallly have a way of registering our UMDs to our PSN accounts.tjoeb123
Yeah but you wouldn't be allowed to keep both the UMD and a digital copy. You'd have to 'send them in' or something.
tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts

one extremely importamt question:

i already have psp games in ISO format in my computer. if i have a VITA, can i put it in and play the psp game with the vita console? pls dont mention anything about UMD. i dont hav 1.

megaman30796
YOU EVIL THIEF, YOU NEVER DESERVED ANY OF THOSE GAMES, OR A PSP!!! :evil: And no, the the Vita won't run those. I'm pretty sure Sony will copy Nintendo and brick any hacked Vita.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
[QUOTE="tjoeb123"]Now they just need to pull ALL PSP games onto the PSN and actuallly have a way of registering our UMDs to our PSN accounts.so_hai
Yeah but you wouldn't be allowed to keep both the UMD and a digital copy. You'd have to 'send them in' or something.

It wouldn't matter as long as I could play digital copies of them. Especially the Star Ocean games since my copies are greatly damaged...
stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

[QUOTE="so_hai"][QUOTE="tjoeb123"]Now they just need to pull ALL PSP games onto the PSN and actuallly have a way of registering our UMDs to our PSN accounts.tjoeb123

It wouldn't matter as long as I could play digital copies of them. Especially the Star Ocean games since my copies are greatly damaged...

If you just could copy your UMD what is stopping you from going to Gamestop, buying a games used, copying it to your system used, and then just returning the UMD for a full re-fund? Or splitting the bill on a new title 4 ways and just having everyone in the group save the game to thier memory stick?

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#26 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="so_hai"] Yeah but you wouldn't be allowed to keep both the UMD and a digital copy. You'd have to 'send them in' or something.stizz-

If you just could copy your UMD what is stopping you from going to Gamestop, buying a games used, copying it to your system used, and then just returning the UMD for a full re-fund? Or splitting the bill on a new title 4 ways and just having everyone in the group save the game to thier memory stick?

That's why I believe you'll be stuck with UMDs no matter what. It happens to most systems this way anyhow. Bit of a bummer that it is...
Muhammad23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Muhammad23
of course the playstation vita is backwards compatible to psp agmes. Kazuo Hirai said that it is.
bobocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bobocha
But we need to re-pay for games we already owned on PSP? :(
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jak-25

Sony needs to get all PSP games on the PSN store. I am waiting for Crises Core and Birth by Sleep to get on the PSN store. Also, Sony should have a program where you can send them your UMD's for a code to download those games from the PSN store.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts
If people bought games on multiple accounts, do we still have to keep switching back and forth between accounts to play a certain game? Or will Vita can allow mutiple account activation like PS3?
SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Yea listen it sucks but cmon guys...the UMD drive was awful. Now we get our games on memory sticks which is cool and since I had a PSP GO I get to re-download all my Go games to that. Cant wait.

Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts

Maybe the games can only be downloaded like someone mentioned. Sony could make more money if they have the games sold seperately.

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jak-25

Yea listen it sucks but cmon guys...the UMD drive was awful. Now we get our games on memory sticks which is cool and since I had a PSP GO I get to re-download all my Go games to that. Cant wait.

SRTtoZ

Yeah, the UMD was bad. They get damaged to easily. I don't mind re-buying my PSP games on the PSN store.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts
[QUOTE="Jak-25"]

[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]

Yeah, the UMD was bad. They get damaged to easily. I don't mind re-buying my PSP games on the PSN store.

Im just going to keep my 3000.
syam32245340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 syam32245340
Member since 2004 • 1431 Posts
Can't wait to see how it performs. I'm gonna buy new games exclusive for Vita :)
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
I'm a collector, so I enjoy having the physical copies of the games. It's a shame that they can't come up with a way to transfer your physical media to digital format. Especially when it comes to games that were never released on PSN to begin with.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They'll likely add more PSP games up into the PSN once the Vita comes out.

I'm sure the old devs won't turn their backs for an extra oppurtunity to make extra pocket change.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
I'm a collector, so I enjoy having the physical copies of the games. It's a shame that they can't come up with a way to transfer your physical media to digital format. Especially when it comes to games that were never released on PSN to begin with.Mau-Justice
That's how it is in the mobile market this way. I know it's not a mobile and more like a handheld but they share the same features. The handheld is more advanced with performance. Though handheld and mobile both mean the same.
bakagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bakagami
Member since 2008 • 324 Posts

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

Jak-25

lol Disney is always a problem. They have to make things harder more than in needs to be. They are missing out on a lot of sales by not puting it on the PSN store. I remember Square Enix saying that they are trying to get it on the PSN store but it might take a while. I have Birth by Sleep on UMD but I no longer have a PSP to play it on, and I don't want to buy a new PSP. I don't mind re-buying some games on the PSN store.

yeah, but what's the deal with Crisis Core? That was Square-Enix

bakagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bakagami
Member since 2008 • 324 Posts

[QUOTE="Jak-25"]

[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]

PSP107

Im just going to keep my 3000.

I went digital a long time ago, never been sorry I did. the UMD format was doomed from the start