Is my PS3 broken?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pencru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 pencru
Member since 2009 • 1779 Posts
Okay, so here's the deal. I left my PS3 on for around 8 hours downloading the demo for Mirror's Edge. After that I played the demo and whatnot, and I decided to download another: Resident Evil 5. I then left the PS3 on all night for around 9 more hours. (That's 17 hours in total.) This morning while I was trying out the demo, my PS3 suddenly turned off. At this time I wasn't able to observe any yellow light. The red light signifying standby did not start flashing as well. It was solid: signifying stand-by mode or something of the sort. It was surprising, so I decided to let it cool down for a bit. After about a few minutes I came back and plugged in the PS3 and the red light comes on. I decided against turning it on again, so I unplugged the console once more. I come back 10 minutes later and the PS3 doesn't even turn on. Not even the red stand-by light. Anyway, I left for around 3 hours and hoped that once I come home the PS3 would be fine again. When I plugged it in, the PS3 didn't show the red light again. What I did was to use a different power supply (our electricty is 220v, so we use a so-called "transformer" to make our PS3 work, which is 110v) and it turned on again. I managed to get to the menu and start up the RE5 demo, but within a few minutes of getting into the game my PS3 shut off again! This time, I observed that there was no yellow light. The red light did not start flashing either. I tried turning the system on again and it tells me that the PS3 was shut off improperly, so I went and clicked OK to turn it off again. After clicking OK, the PS3 shut off yet again. I left it for a couple of minutes to check the Internet on what the problem was, but all of them described a flashing red light. It was weird because mine stayed a solid red. I come back to the PS3 and do a hard reset to try and restore the PS3 system (option #5) and while it was doing that, the PS3 turned off yet again, moving from the solid green light right into the solid RED light. I would really appreciate anyone who could identify my problem and suggest a solution. If you guys need any more details please let me know.
romo14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 romo14
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts

Have you checked the Transformer? If it is broken or something. Tried another one?

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

i have no exact idea what the problem is..... but you should keep in mind that PS3 creates alot of heat when turned on. keeping it on for 17 hours is extremely inadvisable.

Oxymandias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Oxymandias
Member since 2006 • 330 Posts

Sounds broken.... Time to talk to Sony.. :-(

Oink!

pencru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 pencru
Member since 2009 • 1779 Posts
The transformer seems to be working fine; the TV it's been connected to since forever works. I used a smaller one and it worked; other bigger transformers wouldn't let the thing run, though. And yeah, it's pretty weird. Am I the only one experiencing this? And no, I don't think I can even call Sony from where I live. lol. UPDATE! The PS3 managed to stay on for around 2 minutes. I decided to turn it off again and let it cool some more along with all the other transformers I used. Still, I'd be happy to hear from more of you about what the possible problem is.