Is my ps3 and ps3 setup fully hd-proof now? (no HD newbs)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jockss2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Jockss2
Member since 2003 • 487 Posts

not that it is extremely complicated but i need someone who knows what they are talking about here since i want my ps3 and tv to be running the best it can

so heres what i have:

Samsung LN-S4095d (40" 1080p tv)

PS3 with HDMI connected to tv

Samsung ht-q45 5.1 surround sound system with optical cord running to ps3 (still in process of shipping)

so...is my ps3 good to go? do i need a cord from the surround system to the tv?

Absynthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Absynthetic
Member since 2004 • 1897 Posts

fully hd? no

optical cables for audio doesnt provide fully digital 5.1 uncompressed sound

get a receiver that has an HDMI input with PCM and plug the ps3 in there instead of directly to the tv if you want to run the FULL HD

Noobenator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Noobenator666
Member since 2006 • 98 Posts
nah i think your good. great setup man love to see some pics.
staff_sgt_tew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 staff_sgt_tew
Member since 2006 • 180 Posts
you need a hdmi running to your sound then run from your sound to your tv
trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 trininuyawka
Member since 2005 • 165 Posts
No cord needed from the surround system to the TV. Your system is as good as can be. But it's not the truly best setup. That would be a setup using a receiver that had HDMI inputs AND outputs. Then you would run an HDMI cable from the PS3 to the receiver, then another one from the receiver to the HD TV. This ideal setup gets you the uncompressed multi-channel linear PCM digital audio that only gets passed through the HDMI cable (not through the optical cable). This includes all the random upgraded Dolby Digital and DTS formats above and beyond what's on your typical DVD.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts
thats not the best surround sound system. a real surround sound system don't come with a DVD/CD player. but it should do the trick.
Jockss2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jockss2

so is this home theater system better? it has hdmi in and out

http://www.nextag.com/Samsung-HTQ80-DVD-Home-500120015/prices-html 

then would i be good to go?

trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trininuyawka
No cord needed from the surround system to the TV. Your system is as good as can be. But it's not the truly best setup. That would be a setup using a receiver that had HDMI inputs AND outputs. Then you would run an HDMI cable from the PS3 to the receiver, then another one from the receiver to the HD TV. This ideal setup gets you the uncompressed multi-channel linear PCM digital audio that only gets passed through the HDMI cable (not through the optical cable). This includes all the random upgraded Dolby Digital and DTS formats above and beyond what's on your typical DVD. trininuyawka
And if you really wanted to get technical, then ideally you would wait for an HD TV and receiver that matched the HDMI 1.3 format that the PS3 has. This would get you increased bandwith for improved "deep color" (in the billions instead of millions) and access to HD lossless audio formats like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Only problem is you'd have to wait until probably late summer before these items are available.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 eclipsed4utoo

Jockss2
no, it still has a DVD/CD receiver. you would want an audio only receiver. they tend to be more expensive and you normally have to buy them separately.
trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trininuyawka
Yep, that's better. Only problem is when you check the pecs in detail (via crutchfield), it doesn't pass through the full 1080p resolution that the PS3 is putting out. It only goes up to 1080i. To get a receiver outputting the full 1080p that your TV and PS3 are capable of, you will have to up the budget a bit.
Jockss2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jockss2
[QUOTE="Jockss2"]

eclipsed4utoo

no, it still has a DVD/CD receiver. you would want an audio only receiver. they tend to be more expensive and you normally have to buy them separately.

im not really concerned about it being a dvd player..i dont even need that..i just want the speakers..im going to use my ps3 for my dvd/cd/blu ray player

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Jockss2"]

Jockss2

im not really concerned about it being a dvd player..i dont even need that..i just want the speakers..im going to use my ps3 for my dvd/cd/blu ray player

if you don't need it for a DVD/CD player, then get one without it. the best receivers on the market do not contain DVD/CD players for a reason.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 eclipsed4utoo
you want something dedicated to sound processing. something like this....even though it doesn't have HDMI ports.. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7694122&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031&id=1138083770470
trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 trininuyawka
[QUOTE="Jockss2"]

eclipsed4utoo

True, almost all HTIB's (Home Theater In a Box) don't output full 1080p resolution. Chances are you won't be able to tell the difference on a 40" TV, but if you want something "running the best" as you original post stated, you will have to up the budget and go the separate component route to get the PS3's 1080p output and PCM audio.
Jockss2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jockss2

so after i get the home theater receiver i then need to buy some 5.1 speakers as well to hook up to the receiver through what

SupraAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SupraAssassin
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
Your set up seems pretty good but it would be better if your sound system ran off an HDMI cable
Steelspike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Steelspike
Member since 2005 • 1899 Posts
HTIB's are complete crap, dont get one. If you want good sound you need a reciever and speaker set seperate.
trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trininuyawka

any suggestions on a decent one that isnt that expensive? its for my bedroom so its not like i need something overpoweringJockss2

The Pioneer mentioned above is not too shabby, but you lose the PCM sound as it had no HDMI inputs.  The cheapest receiver I could find that has full 1080p inputs and outputs via HDMI cables is this $500 Onkyo:  But if you do some searching you may be able to find it for less. But then you need speakers and such.

I guess you have to decide what's more important: full 1080p resolution or full uncompressed PCM sound. To get both it will cost you. Or you can give up the 1080p and go with a HTIB. Or give up the PCM sound and stay with the original setup you mention (HDMI to TV, optical audio to surround sound)

trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 trininuyawka
If it's for your bedroom and you're on a tight budget, I'd go with a HTIB with 1080i HDMI inputs/outputs. You don't need massive volume and you probably won't be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i on your 40". You will get all your speakers and wiring, PCM sound, and a second DVD/CD player. To go seperate, you budget will need to increase dramatically and in reality you won't be able to even appreciate it in a smaller bedroom (compared to a large lving room or basement).
Jockss2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jockss2

[QUOTE="Jockss2"]any suggestions on a decent one that isnt that expensive? its for my bedroom so its not like i need something overpoweringtrininuyawka

The Pioneer mentioned above is not too shabby, but you lose the PCM sound as it had no HDMI inputs.  The cheapest receiver I could find that has full 1080p inputs and outputs via HDMI cables is this $500 Onkyo:  But if you do some searching you may be able to find it for less. But then you need speakers and such.

I guess you have to decide what's more important: full 1080p resolution or full uncompressed PCM sound. To get both it will cost you. Or you can give up the 1080p and go with a HTIB. Or give up the PCM sound and stay with the original setup you mention (HDMI to TV, optical audio to surround sound)

I think resolution is more important to me than fully uncompressed sound..i think if i get the samsung home theater system ill live...now heres a new questions..the samsung qt-h80 only goes up to 1080i..if i run my hdmi cord from my ps3 to the receiver and then hdmi from the receiver to the 1080p tv will the resolution drop down to 1080i or just the sound? sounds like a newbish question but im not big on speakers just tv's

trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trininuyawka
It will drop down to 1080i since the receiver is not outputting the 1080p signal. To get the best picture possible, go with your original setup that you posted with. HDMI cable from the PS3 straight into the TV and an optical cable from the PS3 into the receiver.
Jockss2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jockss2

It will drop down to 1080i since the receiver is not outputting the 1080p signal. To get the best picture possible, go with your original setup that you posted with. HDMI cable from the PS3 straight into the TV and an optical cable from the PS3 into the receiver. trininuyawka

gotcha..thanks man for the all help..and to everyone else too..i guess im going with my original setup..picture is mroe important to me 

trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trininuyawka
No problem bro. Don't forget to try out a Blu-Ray movie. Enjoy 1080p in all it's glory!
budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#26 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
I agree with the other responses. To be fully HD you need to be running audio off of the HDMI cable, however if you dont plan to use 7.1 surround then optical is a very good alternative. I run optical to my reciever with the video to my HDTV and I have no complaints. You should be set in my opinion.
brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts

not that it is extremely complicated but i need someone who knows what they are talking about here since i want my ps3 and tv to be running the best it can

so heres what i have:

Samsung ht-q45 5.1 surround sound system with optical cord running to ps3 (still in process of shipping)

Jockss2

Yeah, it's good to go as is.
Jockss2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jockss2

No problem bro. Don't forget to try out a Blu-Ray movie. Enjoy 1080p in all it's glory! trininuyawka

hey 1 more thing...with my setup i wont have anything going from my theater system to the tv..will the theater system come out with cords to hook up to the tv?

Jockss2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jockss2
bump
brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 brotherreese

[QUOTE="trininuyawka"]No problem bro. Don't forget to try out a Blu-Ray movie. Enjoy 1080p in all it's glory! Jockss2

hey 1 more thing...with my setup i wont have anything going from my theater system to the tv..will the theater system come out with cords to hook up to the tv?

Try this, if you have an optical output from your t.v, run that to your theatre system, and just use the HDMI connector from the PS3 to the t.v. If not, just use your regular audio output from the T.v to the receiver.
svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts

[QUOTE="Jockss2"]any suggestions on a decent one that isnt that expensive? its for my bedroom so its not like i need something overpoweringtrininuyawka

Nice find - haven't found a cheaper HDMI receiver in the past and Onkyo does have good products. However, it is HDMI 1.1 - I have been looking at better receivers for awhile (mine is a cheap one that came with the XP50 dvd player) and decided to wait until HDMI switching receivers are more common and have at least HDMI 1.3. I know technology always changes, but it just seems like it would be better to drop $1,000 - $2,000 on a good receiver in about a year than today. I think a receiver in that price category would be more "future-proof" than one today. Thoughts? Jockss2 - I am thinking this is within the interest of your thread - let me know if you disagree
svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts
[QUOTE="Jockss2"]

[QUOTE="trininuyawka"]No problem bro. Don't forget to try out a Blu-Ray movie. Enjoy 1080p in all it's glory! brotherreese

Try this, if you have an optical output from your t.v, run that to your theatre system, and just use the HDMI connector from the PS3 to the t.v. If not, just use your regular audio output from the T.v to the receiver.

Won't you risk a lag with the sound if you run it through the tv then to the receiver? Also are all tv's now able to receive and "pass-on" 5.1+ through the HDMI? This was an issue at least last year, and not sure if it got solved or not....... Also I am guessing that the original question is related to how do Jock get sound when watching regular tv - right? If that is the question then you should be able to just run the coax to the receiver and from there over to the tv
immikeulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 immikeulate
Member since 2004 • 350 Posts

That Onkyo only uses HDMI switching which means it uses HDMI for video only (pass-through). If you wanted to hear HDMI audio as well you would need to step up to the Onkyo tx-sr674. Make sure you do your research from more than one place.
04JETTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 04JETTA
Member since 2005 • 5769 Posts
tahtl b good my cousin hasa simaler setup
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

so heres what i have:

Jockss2

Lol...The funny thing is that sounds exactly like my setup I have that exact TV except my 5.1 sound system is a Sony and I also have an upconverting Samsung DVD player. I am loving my setup so you will too.
brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 brotherreese
[QUOTE="brotherreese"][QUOTE="Jockss2"]

[QUOTE="trininuyawka"]No problem bro. Don't forget to try out a Blu-Ray movie. Enjoy 1080p in all it's glory! svenskamerikan

Won't you risk a lag with the sound if you run it through the tv then to the receiver? Also are all tv's now able to receive and "pass-on" 5.1+ through the HDMI? This was an issue at least last year, and not sure if it got solved or not....... Also I am guessing that the original question is related to how do Jock get sound when watching regular tv - right? If that is the question then you should be able to just run the coax to the receiver and from there over to the tv

1) If you have all of the connectors for the right set-up, you could run the optical cable from the PS3 to the receiver and still run audio/visual to the t.v through the HDMI. However, if you also have a VCR/tivo/other game system to the t.v, you'll still need a connection from the device to the receiver. That's Y I keep it simple and only have the t.v connected directly to the receiver and reduce the clutter, plus you still have the option of stereo/surround sound for anything you watch / play on the t.v set. 2) If he's using a system selector, and a friend/neighbor brings another system/device over to connect to the t.v set, then you still have the t.v set to run sound to the receiver rather than plugging in and unplugging wires. Hopefully he can run the optical cable from the t.v to the receiver like I do.
Jockss2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jockss2
yea..im going to have my ps3 hooked up through hdmi and cable hooked up regular to the tv then run the optical to the surround sound from the tv...that will get me surround sound in everything i watch/play correct?
zemitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zemitron
Member since 2003 • 798 Posts
pannasonic xr-57 should suite you quite well
brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 brotherreese
yea..im going to have my ps3 hooked up through hdmi and cable hooked up regular to the tv then run the optical to the surround sound from the tv...that will get me surround sound in everything i watch/play correct?Jockss2
Exactly
BroweChisox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BroweChisox
Member since 2003 • 1104 Posts
Why would you ever have a samsung receiver or speakers. Those belong in the trash, at least buy a cheap receiver and cheap speakers from a company known for their audio. I can't imagine how tinny and plain poor those must sound.
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts
[QUOTE="trininuyawka"]

[QUOTE="Jockss2"]any suggestions on a decent one that isnt that expensive? its for my bedroom so its not like i need something overpoweringimmikeulate

That Onkyo only uses HDMI switching which means it uses HDMI for video only (pass-through). If you wanted to hear HDMI audio as well you would need to step up to the Onkyo tx-sr674. Make sure you do your research from more than one place.

Thats not true,  the TXSR604 does HDMI audio.  The only difference between the 604 and the 674 is that the 674 only needs one HDMI output for all the inputs on the receiver.