Is it safe to charge PS4 controller every night

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TF626 (592 posts) -

I know the PS4 has lithium ion battery's and lately even if my controller has one bar left is it safe to recharge it, or should I wait until it's fully drained I

#2 Posted by SirSlimyScott (275 posts) -

@TF626:

No, you may make it angry, and you won't like it when it's angry.

#3 Edited by Geminon (1177 posts) -

safer? what do you think it has a little bomb inside that will blow if you dont charge it correctly?

just charge the thing whenever you want... jesus... people need to stop over thinking everything.

#4 Edited by The_Rick_14 (9945 posts) -

Guessing by the fact that the light goes out when it has completed charging, I think the battery in the controller knows when it has completed charging and will not overcharge the battery so you should be fine charging it often. I have found however that my controller gets much longer than I would have expected when it hits one bar so depending on how long your gaming sessions usually are, you could probably get away with skipping some nights if you are that concerned.

#5 Edited by dalger21 (1266 posts) -

I would suggest charging when the battery runs out or you will slowly kill the battery...meaning, while the battery may say it is 100 percent charged, in reality it's only about 95 percent charged. Eventually, it won't charge at all.

#6 Posted by clr84651 (5545 posts) -

PS4 & PS3 controllers last a lot longer when charged when not in use and before they are below 1 bar on the battery life indicator.

#7 Edited by TF626 (592 posts) -

@Geminon: I want to maximize the most out of my purchase, there are ways to improve the longevity of your batteries lifespan, if you don't take care of your batteries or over charge it, it can significantly cut the life span of your battery.

#8 Posted by Jaysonguy (38037 posts) -

@TF626 said:

@Geminon: I want to maximize the most out of my purchase, there are ways to improve the longevity of your batteries lifespan, if you don't take care of your batteries or over charge it, it can significantly cut the life span of your battery.

No it can't

Those are all old wives tales. Batteries today are idiot proof.

#9 Edited by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

Its a Lithium battery so actually it should stay fully charged when not in use and should never be completely discharged.

#10 Posted by bezza2011 (2720 posts) -

A friend of mine works with tvs and batteries and all that ablnd he told me to always use your mobile or anything with a rechargeable battery right until it has ran out fully other wise you slowly oil the battery life, but hey it ain't that worrying charge it as much as you like

#11 Posted by Angry_Mushroom (708 posts) -

Damn shame the battery isn't replaceable in the PS4 controller. Just charge it whenever it gets low. I believe Li-Ion batteries have a limited amount of discharge cycles, but that never has been clarified for me. As for any dangers? None. Should have built in fails safes to stop charging the battery once it reaches full charge.

#12 Posted by Jaysonguy (38037 posts) -

@Angry_Mushroom said:

Damn shame the battery isn't replaceable in the PS4 controller. Just charge it whenever it gets low. I believe Li-Ion batteries have a limited amount of discharge cycles, but that never has been clarified for me. As for any dangers? None. Should have built in fails safes to stop charging the battery once it reaches full charge.

All rechargeable batteries have a limited lifespan as far as charges

You'll get between 450-650 charges out of a battery until it starts showing noticeable signs of wear.