SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I came across this question recently with BloodBorne. Still am somewhat facing it. Historically, I would usually wait about four months or so and find the game that I want for nearly half the price.

There seems to be so much hype around BloodBorne that it's becoming hard for me to resist the temptation, even though I never really played much of any of the Souls games in the series, nor do I really get into dark and gritty games. (It must say a lot about how impressionable I am.)

Besides all that, this isn't so much about Bloodborne, but rather more about the original question. So I ask again; is a game ever really worth $60+, or are we better waiting it out a few months for a much more reasonable sale price?

shazz_rulez19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 shazz_rulez19
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

@SpiderLuke: bro look a game is worth $60 only if you truly like that genre of games, if you only want to try it out or give it a shot then wait a month or two for a price drop so that you can test out if the game suits your liking or not, for example i like the action puzzle type of games with a blend of mystery in involved(uncharted ;) ). it is after all your personal opinion that if you want to grind a completely new genre of the game regardless bloodbourne in general is an awesome game and i can successfully say this that it lived upto its hype, whether you want to try it or not is upto you. :)

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

For me to spend $60 I must want to have it right when it releases and for it to be something I'm going to invest a lot of time into. Like, 100+ hours. GTA V and Fallout: New Vegas are the last 2 games I remember pre-ordering and paying full price for. So no, I don't think $60 is worth it for most games. I get through a decent amount of games and that's just too much to spend per game, especially when I'm typically done playing a game within a few weeks.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

As a new IP Bloodbourne has a chance at becoming a hit. But it could also end up on the gaming graveyard of forgotten IP's. Many videogames have been worth the $60.00 price. Other's have not. But maybe Bloodbourne will stand the test of time. At the very least you have given this game at chance. $60.00 is a lot of money to try on a new IP. But it has to start somewhere. At least you have given this new game a chance. The videogame industry needs more new franchises. But someone has to take the chance and see if a game is really worth the $60.00 brand new at launch.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

I think asking $60 for a console-based game or $40 for a NDS cartridge is pretty outrageous. I know someone will jump in here and get on your case about the "work that went into it" how the company "has to make money too" blah blah, but frankly we all know a lot of people worked on it and they need to get paid too, but cut the prices of both in half and I'm guessing WAY more people will be buying games and keeping them, not trading in constantly because it's so damn expensive to own new games.

I say this: are you going to play it at least 4 days a week for at LEAST 4-6 months? Then go ahead and buy new. If it's a game you can beat in a day or two and trade in for another new title? Go ahead and buy new.

If it's a game that you're iffy about, might play for a week or so, don't know a lot about? NO. Wait for used, seriously, try ebay or online even three weeks after a release. You'll find new(er) titles for $45 vs 60 still in stores. $60 is a lot of money for someone like me so they only game I've ever owned that I can say I 150% got $60 use out of is GTAV which I've been playing almost two years now. I've regretted every other game I've bought brand new or ended up trading it in.

TrevorZyla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TrevorZyla
Member since 2015 • 76 Posts

In Canada here the new game price is $70, going up to $75 soon. Very few games are worth that price at all, and Bloodborne is the only game I've played in a very long time that I felt I truly got $70 out of it.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

$60 dollars isn´t THAT much, on the contrary, previous gen games ( PS1, SNES, NES, N64, PS2 ) were comparably much much more expensive. $300 US for a PS2 console in 2000 was a truckload of cash.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Sure they can be. As raugutcon noted, games have actually done well price-wise as inflation has occurred. A $60 SNES game would be about $100 of our dough today.

If you can get Bloodborne for $40, is that better than $60? Of course. Simple math. But in terms of "is 60 a good enough price?" it comes down to how much money you have and how much enjoyment you get out of it. I got Katamari Damacy for $0.90 the other day on the PSN sale, and I basically got my money's worth within 2 minutes of playing :-P Extrapolate that fun/dollar way of looking at it to a $60 game... maybe compare it to the enjoyment you get from $20 at the movies or a dinner out if you want... at what point was that game $60-worth of fun for you? Personally, if it's a good game of decent length it usually exceeds 3x one Thai dinner of fun pretty easily.

I rarely buy games at launch, and thus rarely pay $60, but I almost always get at least $60 of fun out of the games I buy (even when I payed 30 or 40 for them).

In other words, if you are a discriminating consumer and buy things you did research on and are pretty sure you'll enjoy for the cost presented to you... you'll probably rarely feel ripped off at whatever price you pay for the game. Nothing wrong with waiting, of course, for a lower price (as noted, I often do too)

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The value of the game is determined by what you get out of it and we all normally take something away that is different from the other guy. I have a few X1 games that I bought at either full/sale price (all under $59.99) that I'd say were a steal and would not have left me sore if I paid more.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

9 times out of 10, they're not.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Oh Jesus Christ....

Gaming is the cheapest it's ever been, if you have a problem paying the least you ever had for games then just stop playing games.

All this "well is it worth it" nonsense is exactly that, Christ

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

No, wait a month and it'll be half the price.

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

Depends on the game but usually they are (provided it entertains you). Buying a game that last over 10 hours breaks the game down to $6 an hour. Now think about what other forms of entertainment you can get for $6 an hour. Not much, maybe an early movie or a cheap meal, but a night out will cost you much more than that.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Not really, I've learned from my mistakes...

Mike_K_2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mike_K_2003
Member since 2003 • 569 Posts

I don't think games are worth $60. I can't remember the last time I paid full retail for a game. I happily wait a month or two before picking them up. Most games typically fall 50% just a cpl months after release.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Well for one I got bloodborne at best buy 20% plus. 10 dollars credit. For two games were 60 bucks 15 or more years ago and the fact most everything else has doubled in proce but games are still about the same is amazing to me.

jakesnakeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 jakesnakeel
Member since 2003 • 326 Posts

A decent meal at a restaurant is $60. It costs $80 to fill my car with gas. I pay $100 a month for my freaken water bill. $60 for a game, to me, is a bargain.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@jakesnakeel: wow you use a lot of water lol my water bill is 15 or 16 a month lol

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

A game can be worth $60 but that's not to say it makes sense to pay $60 for a game. (if that's not a contradiction) Usually you'd buy a game for less and only if it's so good that you would have paid $60 for it, if not more, unfortunately there is no way to know that without buying it first.

What you hypothetically could do is buy a game for less, and if you like it, buy more copies until it equals $60. And you would be supporting the game in more ways, not just with profit but by increasing the number of copies sold, and by exposing more people to the game.

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

Well consoles aren't computers so the games are priced high.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

@trpg said:

I'd disagree with that. Consoles, at least Sony, has caught up with deals somewhat. If a game is new on PC, chances are it is full price, granted it's a AAA game. Prices for a lot of Sony titles do end up dropping after a couple months. They offer a lot of sales too. I'm quite positive that was all inspiration from Steam, though. Playstation's store is looking more and more like Steam every day.

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

@SpiderLuke said:

@trpg said:

I'd disagree with that. Consoles, at least Sony, has caught up with deals somewhat. If a game is new on PC, chances are it is full price, granted it's a AAA game. Prices for a lot of Sony titles do end up dropping after a couple months. They offer a lot of sales too. I'm quite positive that was all inspiration from Steam, though. Playstation's store is looking more and more like Steam every day.

Eh, you disagree completely?

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I don't spend $60 on a game as I get used games or wait for a sale but if you get a ton of hours of entertainment out of a game, it is worth the $60 especially when you have the option to sell the game when finished. Look how much it costs to go out for a decent dinner, bar, movie theater, etc. and that is just a couple hours of entertainment. I think the PS3 generation is the cheapest gaming generation when you consider the used game industry, PS+ sales, Amazon sales, etc..... When we start talking about the expensive DLC, it is a whole another story as it beyond ridiculous. We are starting to see games with DLC around the $100 mark. This bothers me way more than $50-60 price for new released games.

I am very excited about Mortal Kombat X - $60...... Now add the Kombat Pack 4 characters (Predator, Jason, Tremor, Tanya) DLC - $30!! Oh come on! Who knows what the Goro DLC will cost? Now we are seeing games approach near the $100 mark after tax and simple DLC..... Mortal Kombat X looks so awesome though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

With the costs of developing AAA games getting higher and higher I am surprised games dont cost more now. More likely were going to see the payment model continue to shift towards things like dota/LOL type deals.

Take Dragon Age Inquisition. That game is MASSIVE. I would easily spend 100 dollars for a game that would take me around 100 hours to beat. If AAA games started costing 75 dollars it wouldnt bother me too much. If you want to experience it right away you can spend a premium. If you can wait for the inevitable sale than more power to you.

gmatep90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gmatep90
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

if a game I willing to play over 10 hours, $60 is worth!

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

@gmatep90 said:

if a game I willing to play over 10 hours, $60 is worth!

Agreed, as long as the game is good and lasts a decent amount of time I think $60 is fine.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

The value of a dollar is different to everyone. Personally, I don't give a shit about sixty dollars.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#28 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@SpiderLuke: i am paying double that... Stop complaining

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

All depends, personally if the game is fun and enjoyable - it would be worth the money. All games could be longer, have extra features etc. as long as you're having a great time playing it, it pays for itself.

It also depends how badly do you want a specific game as well, if you're not in a rush, waiting few weeks can give you a good discount. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#30 deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

@SpiderLuke: For something like Bloodborne which will probably take me about 100 hours? Yeah definitely. It is currently at about $68 on Amazon for me here in the UK. I'm waiting for it to drop to at least $60 before I buy it. Just on principle of refusing to pay $70 for a game.

But when it hits the original full retail price I'll go for it. Unless I'm busy in which case I'll wait till the summer.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

If it's a game I'm really into then yes it is worth it. Couldn't wait to get Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Dragon's Dogma, and Beyond Two Souls to name a few (most recently Bloodborne, loving it so far). Each game was great.

Then I sometimes make the mistake of getting games I'm hesitant about but get great praise so I go for it and regret it, such as with RDR, GTA V, The Last of Us, and Shadow of Mordor.

You can usually tell if you'll like a game or if you are forcing yourself to like it because a lot of people do. Spending full price on a game you are looking forward to usually turns out well.