ipod touch and PSP...worth it to own both?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

resident_jdoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 resident_jdoe
Member since 2007 • 76 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has both. I have a PSP, and I love it, but the touch can do some things better than the PSP. Internet, music, etc. in my opinion is going to be all significantly better on the touch. PSP I mainly use just for games anyway. So, do you think it is wise to buy both or should I pick one or the other?
Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
I have both, overall I use my ipod touch way more. I only use my psp for games now.
oldsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 oldsan
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I have both and glad I do. The Touch is a better device in every respect except for games.

* iPod's have much better audio circuitry and DAC (digital to analog converter) than the PSP, so the audio quality is quite clearly superior, something which is very important to me at least.

* I can't tell which has better video quality, but the iPod's touch controls make it simpler to use, and it supports more video formats out of the box.

* Web-browsing on the Touch is fun while on the PSP it's... yuck. Google maps on a Touch or iPhone is an amazingly fun activity in itself.

* Games however, it's obvious the PSP is far better. I never use my Touch for games at all, just music, occasional video, and occasional web browsing.

The newest Touch models now have an accelerometer like the iPhone which could make the games more interesting.

It's true though, it's cheaper to get your PSP a big mem card and only use it for music and video. I mean, you don't *need* an iPod if you already have a PSP.

resident_jdoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 resident_jdoe
Cool, I won an Amazon gift card, and I saw the 2nd generation Ipods just were released, so I think I might get the 16 gb version.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
pshh... the iphone FTW
resident_jdoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 resident_jdoe

pshh... the iphone FTWsupa_badman

What is the cheapest plan you can get for the iphone? I just don't know if 100 some dollars a month is worth it, especially since I don't talk on the phone a lot.

SlorgieNel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 SlorgieNel
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts

[QUOTE="supa_badman"]pshh... the iphone FTWresident_jdoe

What is the cheapest plan you can get for the iphone? I just don't know if 100 some dollars a month is worth it, especially since I don't talk on the phone a lot.

In Canada it's something ridiculous like $80. Not worth it IMO.

And if I had both, I would probably use my iPod for music and internet, and PSP for movies and games.

PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 PA_DUTCH
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts
I think the touch is a waster of money...get a cheaper ipod and a PSP if your a gamer
stoneyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stoneyjack
Member since 2008 • 262 Posts

I have both and glad I do. The Touch is a better device in every respect except for games.

* iPod's have much better audio circuitry and DAC (digital to analog converter) than the PSP, so the audio quality is quite clearly superior, something which is very important to me at least.

* I can't tell which has better video quality, but the iPod's touch controls make it simpler to use, and it supports more video formats out of the box.

* Web-browsing on the Touch is fun while on the PSP it's... yuck. Google maps on a Touch or iPhone is an amazingly fun activity in itself.

* Games however, it's obvious the PSP is far better. I never use my Touch for games at all, just music, occasional video, and occasional web browsing.

The newest Touch models now have an accelerometer like the iPhone which could make the games more interesting.

It's true though, it's cheaper to get your PSP a big mem card and only use it for music and video. I mean, you don't *need* an iPod if you already have a PSP.

oldsan
the touches have always had an accellorometre.
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
no the psp is all you need im a portable media device
aznstyle11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aznstyle11
Member since 2008 • 1125 Posts
Wow around $100 a month? In Australia 3 months would be a PSP or 6 games. (Yes we get ripped off hard)
SPD_WeBmAsTaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 SPD_WeBmAsTaH
Member since 2004 • 2668 Posts
Yeah it can be worth it to own both of them because you can listen to music while playing your games on your PSP. As for the Iphone, I'm buying one so I can make it into a Pay-As-You-Go phone so that I don't have to play a stupid plan or anything.
resident_jdoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 resident_jdoe

Yeah it can be worth it to own both of them because you can listen to music while playing your games on your PSP. As for the Iphone, I'm buying one so I can make it into a Pay-As-You-Go phone so that I don't have to play a stupid plan or anything.SPD_WeBmAsTaH

How do you pull that off?

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, only with an HP iPAQ hx4700 instead of the iPod touch. The hx4700 handles my multimedia (TCPMP), Web browsing (Opera Mobile 9.5), GPS (Bluetooth receiver + TomTom Navigator 6), PIM, and just about everything else you can do with a Windows Mobile device. It supports more media formats, has much better Wi-Fi reception, has Bluetooth, has a higher-resolution screen with no response time problems, has a Web browser that compares well to Safari Mobile after you install Opera Mobile 9.5 on it, and can have third-party apps installed from the get-go without having to undergo some complicated procedures first. However, it's horrible for non-touch-screen gaming due to the controls, and that's where the PSP comes in. Mine is primarily for games, though it does serve as a backup media player, Web browser, and Skype device. Oh, and you might run into a situation in a game where you might want to jot down a quick note. Having a Windows Mobile device or an iPod touch at hand would help with that.
wineshopboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wineshopboy
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts

Mainly:

PSP - Game

Touch - Music

joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
i own a psp and iphone. The iphone is great for music, internet, and decent games from Appstore. The PSP is great for games alone. I only use my PSP for gaming, nothing more.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

I own a PSP and LG Dare (Verizons Iphone, just as good) Ipod Touch is just a waste of money. For the space they give you and the price, it's a huge ripoff.

My phone does more than an Ipod Touch for only 200$.

RichFool350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RichFool350
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
PSPs are really only useful for games
resident_jdoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 resident_jdoe

i own a psp and iphone. The iphone is great for music, internet, and decent games from Appstore. The PSP is great for games alone. I only use my PSP for gaming, nothing more.joeychew

What is the most inexpensive plan for the iphone? My problem is, I spend 30 dollars a month right now for my phone bill. I don't make a lot of calls. However, I would use the internet if I had it all the time on the iphone.

rebel1423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rebel1423
Member since 2008 • 120 Posts
I have extensively used both, and the psp screen is far surperior to the itouch screen. Games and movies as well as music are better on psp, especially since you don't have to deal with the insult to humanity known as itunes. also, touch screen UI's suck. I hate them with a passion. web browsing is far surperior on itouch tho'.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts

The PSP is also supposed to get a much improved screen for the 3000 series.

It all depends on what you'd use it for. Quite frankly both are too big for me to use as my primary music machine. I'd stick with my PSP since gaming is more important to me and it does the other 2 features well enough (music/movies).

VHRS05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 VHRS05
Member since 2008 • 542 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has both. I have a PSP, and I love it, but the touch can do some things better than the PSP. Internet, music, etc. in my opinion is going to be all significantly better on the touch. PSP I mainly use just for games anyway. So, do you think it is wise to buy both or should I pick one or the other?resident_jdoe

Get them both, ipod for massive music, video archiving and psp for gaming. You wont regret it.

Avatar image for master_hookshot
master_hookshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 master_hookshot
Member since 2006 • 429 Posts
keep you Touch, the PSP is kinda crappy. No offense, its just my opinion.
dainsanereview

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 dainsanereview
Member since 2008 • 603 Posts
yeah psp is worth to own. if u already have a iphone i wouldnt mined geting a ipod touch.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
I would use the iTouch for web browsing, music and videos. Just use the PSP for games.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#27 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts
I'm not going to moderate you for this, but in a sense this is now comparing gaming platforms, since the iPod Touch/iPhone is now considered a gaming platform. Unfortunately, we don't allow that type of system comparison here.