'In-Game Trophy Tracking' should be a must for PS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deuterium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Deuterium
Member since 2015 • 80 Posts

I was playing Batman Arkham Knight on PlayStation 4 a few days ago, and was one trophy away from getting the Platinum, that trophy being the one that requires players to complete 8 different 100 meter jumps overall ("A Leap of Faith"). A major frustration was due to the facts that (1) I didn't know how many I had already completed through normal gameplay and (2) I didn't know if the jumps I was completing were indeed 100 meters or not.

This got me wondering about how nice it would have been if information on percent-completion for trophies was provided similarly to how such information is provided on Xbox One (a feature I nominated on betterpsn.com, but I'm not so optimistic about the whole betterpsn move). But, while this feature isn't available natively on PS4, I then started wondering why don't game developers provide an in-game tracking system for trophies; this won't only allow tracking trophies, but also identifying glitched trophies, such as - most recently - Rocket League's "Far, Far Away..." (requiring players to drive for 500km), prior to spending hours invested on such trophies. In addition to that, one can then have the ability to see the trophies offline (an option currently unavailable to PS4 users in the absence of internet connection).

To my awe, I recently started playing Mousecraft. On the main menu, one can access a screen where he/she can see the trophies and keep track of their percent-completion. I think that this should be held as an example for other game developers until, if ever, Sony takes it upon themselves to address such issues.

~ Deut

Avatar image for deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
deactivated-5938196c2bbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
Member since 2013 • 344 Posts

If I remember right, certain Steam achievements actually gets tracked as you're closer to unlocking them. Perhaps something similar can be done here?

Deuterium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Deuterium

Good idea, that should be there too (similar to Max Payne 3's Grind achievements which start popping up in the start menu once they're close to being completed).

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Yeah, I really appreciate it when games provide progress in-game on trophies, especially ones that are hard to track on your own.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

In game trophy tracking?

This is more a developer issue.

Some games had that on PS3 and 360 but most games didn't. It was annoying. How do I know? I have 125,000 Gamerscore on Xbox and 125+ Platinum trophies on PSN. I know all about these things and what you are describing is not only something I would love and I have asked for many years ago, but it's also something that developers have to fix. It is in some games, but not in all, which annoyed me.

You can see with Mousecraft that it has it, but with Batman AK it doesn't. It's not something PS or Xbox controls, but rather the developers. The only thing these companies could do is forcibly mandate developers take more time adding in this feature with every game. I'm not sure 3rd parties would be too pleased about such rules. If Sony mandated it for instance we might start seeing developers flock to Xbone and complain about Sony's new rules adding time and money to their development times. It's a complex issue when you think about it.

I would love the feature but I've learned many, many years ago how to deal with it. The problem though is getting both Xbox, PS, and maybe even Nintendo if the NX has achievements/stamps to all agree to equally mandate publishers to do such a feature.

These companies will ask this very simple question: "Will implementing this feature, which will add time to development and force us to pay more money to developers to stay late, actually sell more copies of the videogames?" The answer is sadly...probably not, which means I don't think this will happen as I don't see developers and publishers freely giving up their money to make this feature a priority...but as a gamer, I would enjoy it, sure.

Maybe Sony can do something about this down the road...I'm with ya, it's just I sort of got over this issue after racking up so many trophies last gen. Doesn't mean it can't be tackled on PS4, but I guess I am less hopeful after waiting so many years.

Deuterium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Deuterium

@SolidTy

Yes, I agree with your statement. When I say that it should be a "must", I mean it in the similar sense that Mousecraft took it upon themselves to do so (basically, for the sake of the gamer); I don't mean in any way that it should be "enforced". I think I should have use the word "encouraged" rather than "must" to convey my idea better.

If anything, it should be Sony's job to improve their trophy system (which obviously lags compared to Xbox One's achievement system), but given their strong market-share I see very little care on their behalf to tackle such issues (don't get me wrong, I still love my PS4, but to not say Sony can learn and improve based of its competitors is delusional).

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

@deuterium: I totally agree. I was doing the 15 move in a freeflow one and kept forgetting which moves I had already done. I list of them on the side that ticked away as I did them would have been super helpful.

Deuterium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Deuterium

@dimebag667

That wasn't exactly what I was talking about (I was talking about having, for example, 3/15 show for instance when you are done with 3 moves, 7/15 when you are done with 7 for instance, and so forth). I think that would be a middle ground between not having any info. (as is the case now) and what you are proposing which is having all the info. (i.e. them having to enumerate what the moves are). However, I can see the user friendliness of your idea as well. I think it's a sensitive matter which of the 2 to go with and it depends on the nature of the trophy.