I'm sort of on the fence about buying a PS3, can someone help me out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FlamingFlamingo
FlamingFlamingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FlamingFlamingo
Member since 2005 • 1287 Posts

Hey, first off I AM NOT BASHING THE PS3!!!

Okay, here's my predicament, I just got a nice 1080p HDTV, and it's really nice. So now I wanna get a HD Player to go along with it. Both HD DVD and BLU RAY seem a lil expensive now. But the PS3 seems like a good deal, especially since it has a Blu Ray player built it. So I have two main questions.

What do you need to play online?

What are some of the best games for the PS3 (in your opinion)?

And here's another question that's not that important, but if you know the answer, could you respond anyways?

Is there a headset for online play?

Are the multiplats visually better than the 360? 

LiquidMetal14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LiquidMetal14
Member since 2003 • 8196 Posts
With everything you're getting out of the box you cannot go wrong. I know it seems biased being we are on a PS3 board but you will get the most sincere opinions here, by those who are smart that is. So in the end you will have a rock solid stable system with great games, next gen movie playback, and tons of functionality. You can use wired or wireless for internet. All you need is pretty much any USB or Bluetooth(tm) headset for online. Right now the multiplats are not better since the system is still new. You will see the difference dissapear within a few months. There is a good ammoun of games at retail stores and on the PSN. I have Motorstorm, Resistance, RR7, Oblivion, Tekken DR, Flow, Q-bert, and MKII. That is not counting the 4 Blu-Rays I own.
FlamingFlamingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FlamingFlamingo

With everything you're getting out of the box you cannot go wrong. I know it seems biased being we are on a PS3 board but you will get the most sincere opinions here, by those who are smart that is. So in the end you will have a rock solid stable system with great games, next gen movie playback, and tons of functionality.LiquidMetal14

I know that, that's why I came to this board.

I just wanted some specifics on online play, espically one : is it lag-free? 

slinkysi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 slinkysi
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts

Okay, here's my predicament, I just got a nice 1080p HDTV, and it's really nice. So now I wanna get a HD Player to go along with it. Both HD DVD and BLU RAY seem a lil expensive now. But the PS3 seems like a good deal, especially since it has a Blu Ray player built it. So I have two main questions.

You need a net connection and a router, you can connect via ethernet or wifi, online play is free, with no lag.

Resistance, Oblivion and Motorstorm

And here's another question that's not that important, but if you know the answer, could you respond anyways?

Pretty much any blutooth headset will work

Oblivion is said to be, but you wont see a big difference tho seeing as they are all ports from the 360 versions

FlamingFlamingo
Ivan5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ivan5
Member since 2005 • 1701 Posts
With everything you're getting out of the box you cannot go wrong. I know it seems biased being we are on a PS3 board but you will get the most sincere opinions here, by those who are smart that is. So in the end you will have a rock solid stable system with great games, next gen movie playback, and tons of functionality.LiquidMetal14
you might have to wait a bit for games....but i LOVE my ps3!!!!
SmokenAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SmokenAshes
Member since 2005 • 1580 Posts

1. Well to play wirelessly you just need a wireless router, or a ethernet cable and plug it in the back of the PS3.  Other than that its free to play online.

2. Resistance, Motorstorm, Oblivion.  And soon to come Lair, FFXII, MGS4, Killzone 2.  In the future God of War 3, SOCOM (I know I'm missing other good ones but I'm goin off the top of my head)

3. Any blue-tooth headset will work with the PS3 for online play, I hear Motorola H500 are good. 

4. Some reviewers have said yes.  

Ivan5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ivan5
Member since 2005 • 1701 Posts

[QUOTE="LiquidMetal14"]With everything you're getting out of the box you cannot go wrong. I know it seems biased being we are on a PS3 board but you will get the most sincere opinions here, by those who are smart that is. So in the end you will have a rock solid stable system with great games, next gen movie playback, and tons of functionality.FlamingFlamingo

i got wifi goin on mine (which is not supposed to be as quick as wired), COX internet, and absolutely NO lag!
LiquidMetal14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LiquidMetal14
Member since 2003 • 8196 Posts

[QUOTE="LiquidMetal14"]With everything you're getting out of the box you cannot go wrong. I know it seems biased being we are on a PS3 board but you will get the most sincere opinions here, by those who are smart that is. So in the end you will have a rock solid stable system with great games, next gen movie playback, and tons of functionality.FlamingFlamingo

Check my first post, I revised it. And the online is lag free and dependant on your connection.
FlamingFlamingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FlamingFlamingo
[QUOTE="FlamingFlamingo"] 

You need a net connection and a router, you can connect via ethernet or wifi, online play is free, with no lag.

Oblivion is said to be, but you wont see a big difference tho seeing as they are all ports from the 360 versions

slinkysi

Thanks a bunch.

Is the wi-fi built? 

JumpingMirrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 JumpingMirrior
Member since 2004 • 11495 Posts

FlamingFlamingo

What you need foer online, a wireless router. The 60GB PS3 comes with built in Wi Fi.

You could use the PS2 USB headset or a Bluetooh cell phone headset

Righ tnow, the multiplat gamesa are closef, if not the same as 360. 

Oblivion is improved and some people menitoend FEAR looks betetr here as well. 

Edit: and I aplogize for all my horrible typos, im still getting used to this new keyboard! 

slinkysi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 slinkysi
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts
[QUOTE="slinkysi"][QUOTE="FlamingFlamingo"]

FlamingFlamingo

Thanks a bunch.

Is the wi-fi built?

Yep, it's good too, i can connect from upstairs, the router is 2 floors down! 

SmokenAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SmokenAshes
Member since 2005 • 1580 Posts
[QUOTE="slinkysi"][QUOTE="FlamingFlamingo"]

FlamingFlamingo

Thanks a bunch.

Is the wi-fi built?

built in? Yes on the 60gb model.  

Avatar image for danielsmith2020
danielsmith2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 danielsmith2020
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts
As I understand it the ps3 online service generaly uses dedicated servers for games so as long as the server is good you should be lag free (obviously depending on your own connection), makes you think what your paying for on xbox live as that uses p2p servers essentialy. Feel free to correct me anyone I don't mind.
CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CyanX73
Member since 2004 • 3389 Posts
A level 20 that doesn't know the answer to this stuff? What exactly do you do on GS to get level 20 and not know this?
theshadow1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 theshadow1212
Member since 2004 • 490 Posts

*push him off the fence then laughs*

firestorm91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 firestorm91
Member since 2006 • 4538 Posts
With everything you're getting out of the box you cannot go wrong. I know it seems biased being we are on a PS3 board but you will get the most sincere opinions here, by those who are smart that is. So in the end you will have a rock solid stable system with great games, next gen movie playback, and tons of functionality. You can use wired or wireless for internet. All you need is pretty much any USB or Bluetooth(tm) headset for online. Right now the multiplats are not better since the system is still new. You will see the difference dissapear within a few months. There is a good ammoun of games at retail stores and on the PSN. I have Motorstorm, Resistance, RR7, Oblivion, Tekken DR, Flow, Q-bert, and MKII. That is not counting the 4 Blu-Rays I own.LiquidMetal14
Very well put. :D Oh, and there's a 99% chance it won't break down on you. This year should bring PS3's gaming experience amazing. Though, if you are looking for Ubisoft games, then 360 would be best. I guess it's too early to tell now, I mean, Rainbow Six: Vegas isn't out yet and neither is GRAW 2. Also, Ubisoft Shanghai is known for bad ports which was Splinter Cell: Double Agent. I guess only time will tell in certain areas.
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
you need an ethernet cable for online play becuase out of the box it comes with an ethernet cable that is only like 3 feet long or so. 
mdl207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mdl207
Member since 2006 • 481 Posts

A level 20 that doesn't know the answer to this stuff? What exactly do you do on GS to get level 20 and not know this?CyanX73

System Wars addict. I've seen quite a few of his posts there. I guess today's fad must be starting System War style threads in the PS3 forum by asking seemingly innocuous questions like, "Should I get a PS3?"

My theory on this is that if you truly cannot answer that question by yourself, a PS3 is not suitable for you.

Rather, a  

is more age appropriate. 

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

[QUOTE="CyanX73"]A level 20 that doesn't know the answer to this stuff? What exactly do you do on GS to get level 20 and not know this?mdl207

System Wars addict. I've seen quite a few of his posts there. I guess today's fad must be starting System War style threads in the PS3 forum by asking seemingly innocuous questions like, "Should I get a PS3?"

My theory on this is that if you truly cannot answer that question by yourself, a PS3 is not suitable for you.

Rather, a

is more age appropriate.

actually I heard that if you view alot of posts your lvl goes up.  I heard this from someone who had few posts but was a lvl 19!!!

He said he just looks around and sometimes posts.  Maybe that's why?

360 is good, so is PS3   really look at the games coming out for each system and ones you suspect will come out for each and all the features pick the one you like the best. 

Avatar image for metalgearmaycry
metalgearmaycry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 metalgearmaycry
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Yeah, PS3 definitley offers a great gaming experince that will continue getting better. Your best bet though is to check what games are coming out/ are already out and see if you would be into them.
zerosolja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zerosolja
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
Yes agreed it's pretty much based on what games you like but which ever you choose you will get to use that 1080p and trust me dude it's freakin sweet
kobedagamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kobedagamer
Member since 2006 • 242 Posts

FlamingFlamingo

we ps3 fans don't like your kind lol jk

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

multiplats in development last year and that are made for the 360 and then ported over do look slightly worse.  However why buy for multiplats with small differences?

Plus all of this is temporary 

9thwardice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 9thwardice
Member since 2006 • 856 Posts

online is free all u need is just internet connection.

i like:heavenly sword,lair,ninja gaiden sigma,socom 4,killzone,ratchet and clank,ff13,MGS4,the getaway,white knight,gran turismo 5.  i could name alot more but thatll take a while for me to type.

sum of the games look better on ps3 like fear,and elder scrolls.but some people like the people who rate the games are fanboys to one system to another.

and im prtty sure that u can use almost any kind of bluetooth to be connected to the ps3 and use that to talk instead of buyin a headset.

plus u can download folding@home and help fight cancer

namcoman67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 namcoman67
Member since 2003 • 633 Posts

i am going to get a PS3 sooner or later once something i like comes out that is not just a download because i think it would be weird to have a PS3 and only play mortal Kombat 2 and Tekken Dark R. to play. but once one of these games come out and have a good review Lair, Heavenly Sword, Tekken 6, God of War 3, Ninja Gaiden Signma, i will get it and be excited and i will tell my PS3 well now u can join ur family PS1, PSP and PS2 lol
RoganSarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 RoganSarine
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts

hahahahah best games??

there are none:cry: lol

MuffinsKill

It seems all your posts are PS3 bashes ;) 

Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Cronaroth
Member since 2004 • 3011 Posts

a net connection (duh)---it comes with everything you need to connect

only PS3 game ive played is Resistance (I just got mine last week-love it) but some of the titles the other poseters recommended look great
And here's another question that's not that important, but if you know the answer, could you respond anyways? Is there a headset for online play?
There is NOT an official "PS3 Headset" but you can use any bluetooth headset to voicechat.
Some are better looking while others are not-I used to own a 360 and Def Jam Icon looked a LITTLE cleaner on the 360 and sometimes (seeing as all the games are programmed for the 360 and ported over at this point hence the sometimes large gap in release...) run a little worse. But some games do genuinely look/run better: Oblivion and Fight Night Round 3 look better overall and run better. Granted, as of now you cant get the Shivering Isles expansion on the PS3 version but I expect it to come soon.

Avatar image for WisconsinBatman
WisconsinBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WisconsinBatman
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I own the trifecta (PS3, 360, and the Wii).  I love my PS3, but sadly right now, it's primary reason for existance is playing my PS2 games that wouldn't work in my broken PS2 anymore.

There are only 2 dissapointments that I see with the PS3.

1)  When I purchased my PS3 60GB, I got it home and was excited to start playing, only to find out they only include the RCA cable, not even component cables.

2)  I was saddened that I cannot "hotswap" batteries for my PS3 controlers, which is one thing I really like about my 360.  I own a wireless controller, and I don't want to be tied down to a wire ever if I'm playing.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with my purchase.  If you plan on purchasing a movie on Blu-Ray, or even playing a DVD, I strongly recommend purchasing the remote, because the controller controls are poor at best.

Good luck with your decision!

CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CyanX73

I own the trifecta (PS3, 360, and the Wii). I love my PS3, but sadly right now, it's primary reason for existance is playing my PS2 games that wouldn't work in my broken PS2 anymore.

1) When I purchased my PS3 60GB, I got it home and was excited to start playing, only to find out they only include the RCA cable, not even component cables.

2) I was saddened that I cannot "hotswap" batteries for my PS3 controlers, which is one thing I really like about my 360. I own a wireless controller, and I don't want to be tied down to a wire ever if I'm playing.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with my purchase. If you plan on purchasing a movie on Blu-Ray, or even playing a DVD, I strongly recommend purchasing the remote, because the controller controls are poor at best.

WisconsinBatman

What is "hotswap?" I love that I don't need to worry about batteries. What exactly are you talking about?  

mdl207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mdl207
Member since 2006 • 481 Posts

hahahahah best games??

there are none:cry: lol

MuffinsKill

Interesting you would come to a PS3 board to bash it.

It leads me to think either a) you desperately want one and can't have it so you are acting out or b) you're a troll who will probably get punished by the mods in some form or manner for attempting to stir up System War-style mayhem here. 

pridetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pridetwo
Member since 2006 • 1226 Posts

FlamingFlamingo

1. all you need is wireless internet if you go for the 60 gig. if not then you can always use an ethernet cable to connect the ps3 to your router. keep in mind that the ps3 does come with an ethernet cable that is a good 10 feet.(not actually sure on length) but i dunno if that would be long enough for you to run to the router.

2. The best games for ps3 that are out are Resistance: Fall of Man, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and Virtua Fighter 5.

3. All bluetooth headsets are compatible with the ps3 in online play.

4. Multiplats are pretty much the same. Anyone who is playing both versions won't actually notice a difference unless you look for them. 

WisconsinBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WisconsinBatman
[QUOTE="WisconsinBatman"]

I own the trifecta (PS3, 360, and the Wii). I love my PS3, but sadly right now, it's primary reason for existance is playing my PS2 games that wouldn't work in my broken PS2 anymore.

1) When I purchased my PS3 60GB, I got it home and was excited to start playing, only to find out they only include the RCA cable, not even component cables.

2) I was saddened that I cannot "hotswap" batteries for my PS3 controlers, which is one thing I really like about my 360. I own a wireless controller, and I don't want to be tied down to a wire ever if I'm playing.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with my purchase. If you plan on purchasing a movie on Blu-Ray, or even playing a DVD, I strongly recommend purchasing the remote, because the controller controls are poor at best.

CyanX73

What is "hotswap?" I love that I don't need to worry about batteries. What exactly are you talking about?  

With my 360 controller, when my controller begins to die, I can simply exchange the battery out and start playing again with a truly minimal down time.

With my PS3 controller, I have to plug it in when the charge is low. I refuse to play a system with a wireless controller plugged in. It seems to defeat the purpose.

Ultimately though, I really dislike the Wii's controllers, since I have to use AA batteries at this time, and there doesn't seem to be a way to fully shut off it's controllers without removing the batteries.

JWaldack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JWaldack
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Games wise you have Resistance, Motor Storm, and Oblivian. At stores though i usually see more HD DVDs than Blu-Ray, so i guess really its your call.
Master__Shake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Master__Shake
Member since 2002 • 6214 Posts

FlamingFlamingo

Wait...price drop is imminant. 

http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/sony-reconsidering-its-pricing-strategy-for-ps3-253539.php

CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CyanX73
[QUOTE="CyanX73"][QUOTE="WisconsinBatman"]

WisconsinBatman

With my 360 controller, when my controller begins to die, I can simply exchange the battery out and start playing again with a truly minimal down time.

With my PS3 controller, I have to plug it in when the charge is low. I refuse to play a system with a wireless controller plugged in. It seems to defeat the purpose.

Ultimately though, I really dislike the Wii's controllers, since I have to use AA batteries at this time, and there doesn't seem to be a way to fully shut off it's controllers without removing the batteries.

Do you play the friggin thing 24 hours a day? I plug my controllers in at night while I'm sleeping and they recharge. I play the PS3 for a good 10 hours before I need to recharge. C'mon dude. That's such a minor complaint. You'd rather "hotswap" as opposed to saving all kinds of money on batteries?  

ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
What do you need to play online?  You need either an ethernet hub or a wifi hub for your ps3.

What are some of the best games for the PS3 (in your opinion)?  Resistance, Motorstorm, Oblivion, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, EA and 2k sports games, Flow

Is there a headset for online play?  You can use bluetooth cel phone headsets (Motorola H350 is a good one) or the old wired PS2 headset, 

Are the multiplats visually better than the 360?  Depends on the game, Oblivion, yes, slightly better visuals, better load distance and time and also the free expansion included,  Fight Night has a few added modes, Splinter Cel is apparantly worse though Ubisoft got lazy with the transfer....  In general you will see slightly better graphics for the PS3 plus free online play

WisconsinBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WisconsinBatman
[QUOTE="WisconsinBatman"][QUOTE="CyanX73"][QUOTE="WisconsinBatman"]

CyanX73

Do you play the friggin thing 24 hours a day? I plug my controllers in at night while I'm sleeping and they recharge. I play the PS3 for a good 10 hours before I need to recharge. C'mon dude. That's such a minor complaint. You'd rather "hotswap" as opposed to saving all kinds of money on batteries?  

I love the fact that I come onto a board, and list two minor things, and suddenly a fanboy decides that saying anything negative is wrong.

Take that to system wars.  Someone asked if they should purchase a PS3, and I gave my opinion.  Remember the part about "Otherwise, I'm very happy with my purchase?"  Probably not, since you saw critisizm of your beloved "Holy Grail" of systems and ignored the rest of my post.  If someone asks me what my thoughts on a system are, I'm going to tell them.

By the way, charging a Li-Ion battery nightly will cost you a new controller in the future.  Li-Ion batteries are good for 500 charges at best, which means with your charging pattern you will be replacing your controller in approximatly 1.5 years.  Now there is $50 down the drain.

And you are right, I would rather have the option to purchase an extra battery and hotswap if I want to, but the PS3 can't do that, and that is what I was telling the poster.

This is just to make you happy here CyanX73:

-----------------------------

Oh my god!  The PS3 is the greatest system of all time!  Don't even bother with any of the others because the PS3 is perfect!  I would have paid $1200 for it!

-----------------------------

Please, that kind of cattle herding mentality is exactly the opposite of what someone wants to see or hear when deciding to purchase a system.  If you want a fanboy battle, go to system wars, stay objective here.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
There is the free online but it depends on where you are buying from?  If in the US go ahead and get the 20 gig like me or 60 gig if you want.  If you live in Australia or somewhere where the ps3 is like $1000, I don't  know what to tell you to do unless you make a lot of money than go ahead and get the system.  If sony does run out of business though its hard to think of what the videogame industry would be like.