IGN reviews Dead Space 2...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

It got a 9.0 but towards the end the reviewer says that the MP is flat and that he hoped the SP had a more developed plot-- which is exactly what I feared. Your thoughts?

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

Doesn't surprise me.

Surely the Devs should know that Dead Space is a game that doesn't need multiplayer. I also don't recall fans of Dead Space ever crying out for multiplayer modes. They should have just made the singleplayer longer and more engaging. It lets the game down when they tag on multiplayer modes - same thing happened with Bioshock 2.

I enjoyed Dead Space and I'll be buying Dead Space 2 when it releases, but I won't bother with the multiplayer.

h3LL_ZinKy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 h3LL_ZinKy69
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

I'v eplayed quite alot of dead space 2 before the actuall release, and I would recommend it to anyone. Never got to try the multiplayer though. This is the only IGN review I have ever agreed on though

:P

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

Doesn't surprise me.

Surely the Devs should know that Dead Space is a game that doesn't need multiplayer. I also don't recall fans of Dead Space ever crying out for multiplayer modes. They should have just made the singleplayer longer and more engaging. It lets the game down when they tag on multiplayer modes - same thing happened with Bioshock 2.

I enjoyed Dead Space and I'll be buying Dead Space 2 when it releases, but I won't bother with the multiplayer.

I agree. There's nothing worse than a tacked on multi player. Uncharted 2 is probably the only game I can think of that was able to pull off having a compelling single player AND a well rounded multiplayer in one package. But that's Naughty Dog, so greatness is to be expected. :P
-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
It just goes to show that not every game needs to have a MP mode. Hopefully EA don't try too tack on a MP mode for Mass Effect 3 and there other games which don't need MP like they said they plan on doing.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrSelf-Destruct
It just goes to show that not every game needs to have a MP mode. Hopefully EA don't try too tack on a MP mode for Mass Effect 3 and there other games which don't need MP like they said they plan on doing. -Hoax-
I've been worried about that same thing. After seeing how much the combat in ME2 feels like Gears of War my first thought was that they may try to throw a MP mode in with the third game. :P
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts
It just goes to show that not every game needs to have a MP mode. Hopefully EA don't try too tack on a MP mode for Mass Effect 3 and there other games which don't need MP like they said they plan on doing. -Hoax-
EA does not make Mass Effect Bioware does.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="-Hoax-"]It just goes to show that not every game needs to have a MP mode. Hopefully EA don't try too tack on a MP mode for Mass Effect 3 and there other games which don't need MP like they said they plan on doing. Prexxus

Yeah, but they publish it, and what a publisher wants... they get.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts
[QUOTE="Prexxus"][QUOTE="-Hoax-"]It just goes to show that not every game needs to have a MP mode. Hopefully EA don't try too tack on a MP mode for Mass Effect 3 and there other games which don't need MP like they said they plan on doing. MrSelf-Destruct

EA has no say whatsoever in the game making process of Bioware. They've said it time and time again.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="Prexxus"] EA does not make Mass Effect Bioware does. Prexxus

EA has no say whatsoever in the game making process of Bioware. They've said it time and time again.

Sorry, but I've never read that anywhere. Publishers have all the say so over how a game is developed as they are the ones paying for it, so if they told Bioware "Hey, we want some MP this time" then I'm sure Bioware would take that into consideration. Its how the business works. Even if they are under some sort of contractual agreement that nets them full creative freedom over their IPs its still not far fetched to think that they are open for suggestion or willing to please the hand that feeds them. Besides, EA doesn't even need Bioware to develop an MP. In a lot of cases the MP is developed by a different studio all together. EA has plenty of say so over what happens to thier games. Just saying.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="Prexxus"] EA does not make Mass Effect Bioware does. Prexxus

They may of been true when Bioware was just an EA Partner, but they are now owned by Electronic Arts.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 parvie
Yeah.. but sometimes you get some nice surprises like AC: Bromancehood and its MP
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Yeah I really hope not... it would be rather disappointing to have the ME singleplayer be ruined by a unneeded multiplayer mode.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Tacked on multiplayer or not,this game deserves everyones attentions lol

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

The game is going to be awesome. I'm really excited for Tuesday. Got my CE pre-ordered. Can't wait to dismember even more limbs!

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

I hate how developers seem to think they're obligated to add MP even on games like Dead Space that have an awesome SP with no need for MP. Sure, if they put sufficient effort in it to make it fun, go for it. But otherwise it just feels like an afterthought.

I'll still be picking it up, tacked-on MP or not.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

LOL, tacked on MP, I knew it would be bad going by the vids I saw, and I like how he didn't say a good thing about it.

Anyways, whenever possible I should try it, glad to hear it's over 10 hours.

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
They called it the best horror game of this generation and a must own....I swear there are people who will constantly search for something to complain about just to complain. The first DS was great. I will buy DS2 day 1.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 parvie
[QUOTE="Ninja_Zombie83"]They called it the best horror game of this generation and a must own....I swear there are people who will constantly search for something to complain about just to complain. The first DS was great. I will buy DS2 day 1.

But still-- it didn't seem to reach its full potential. That's all i'm saying
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts

I was in the DS2 beta, its fun the first few times but I don't see myself playing it daily. I only want that game for it's single player gameplay.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrSelf-Destruct
They called it the best horror game of this generation and a must own....I swear there are people who will constantly search for something to complain about just to complain. The first DS was great. I will buy DS2 day 1.Ninja_Zombie83
Yeah, but that is largely a matter of opinion. Some will say differently, I promise you. People complain because.... they also have opinions. I'm sure the MP isn't that great while I'm sure the single player is no less than epic.
Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Marmotas
Member since 2004 • 2944 Posts

I want this game NAO! :D

I only care about the singleplayer, which will be awesome :)

Oh, just for you guys to know, the archivements list (i dont know how it will translate to trophies tho'):

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/dead-space-2/achievements/

Hardcore seems to be even more difficult than what "Impossible" was in the 1st game, looks cool :D (Hardcore gives less items/money, more damage and no checkpoints, and you can save only 3 times)

Oh, and no online ones.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#23 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
It's obvious MP is just an add-on and not the main star. The main star will always be the single player with such story orientated games. They should've just left it out and only have a solid single player campaign.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

A 9 is certainly a great score. Fantastic score in fact. I was in the online beta and enjoyed the multiplayer quite a bit, and I'm not usually a fan of multiplayer at all. And that was with only one map. As far as the story, the first one didn't really have much of a story either, and it was still one of my favorite games of all time.

Three more days!