if you play Blue-ray discs in the PS3 does it ruin the laser?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vendead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Vendead
Member since 2006 • 368 Posts
my friend told me this that if u use the ps3 to play movies it will wear out the laser and evenutally wont play anything. It was the same story for ps2. Do you guys have any info on this problem.
acidic_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 acidic_dude
Member since 2003 • 1713 Posts
my friend told me this that if u use the ps3 to play movies it will wear out the laser and evenutally wont play anything. It was the same story for ps2. Do you guys have any info on this problem.Vendead
Just dont worry about it because with the PS2 when i first got it, it wouldnt play ps1 games or purple disk ps2 games, so... if your PS3 is fine right now or when you get it then make sure it works and if it works fine, go crazy with the blu-ray disks because games are also on blu-ray disks so unless you dont plan on playing PS3 games and blu-ray movies (then whats the point of owning a PS3) then your fine, but Im gonna call BS on this one, dont worry about it, if your laser stops reading disks then call the PS3 support and they will have to fix it, even if they tell you crap about a warranty, they got to, trust me because they dont want no one to put a class action law suit on them.
814StopsToday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 814StopsToday
Member since 2007 • 1390 Posts
Does your friend by any chance own a Wii or a 360?
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
Well, even the PS3 games are on BluRay discs, (just like the movies), so feel free to smack your friend upside the head with a big piece of trout, because what he's telling you smells fishy. ;)
dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
lol. Don't worry. I've never heard any reports of Blu-Ray movies or DVD movies ruining the laser that reads them in the PS3. You have nothing to worry about. Your friend is just upset because he wants a PS3 and can't afford one.
Izzy12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Izzy12345
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts
No, that is not true part of the thing Sony is trying to say is that if you do not like playing to many games you can use the PS3 to watch movies on Blu-Ray. There will not be any problems watchung movies or playing games,its other consels that scratch discs, overheat, and have internal design flaws. There have also been no such reports or information about any of this online ask your friend what source he gets this from.
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts
No... It will be fine.
maddbummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 maddbummy
Member since 2007 • 172 Posts

NEGATIVE

davez82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 davez82
Member since 2003 • 1864 Posts
its just an uban legend, red lasers supposedly last longer cause they are red but that really has no effect in the real world.
azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts

my friend told me this that if u use the ps3 to play movies it will wear out the laser and evenutally wont play anything. It was the same story for ps2. Do you guys have any info on this problem.Vendead

PS3 was made to play Blu-ray games and movies. Of course it won't ruin the laser.

jake0401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 jake0401
Member since 2005 • 330 Posts

this made my day.

Sony spends $700+ (last time i checked) to manufacture a console with the primary purpose being to play games and movies in the Blu Ray format. Yet at the same time they are building these machines and selling them at a loss only to have them ruined by the format they were designed for?!

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

RFNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 RFNeo
Member since 2003 • 233 Posts

Can I use my camera to take pictures or will I ruin it by doing that? Can I drive my car? Maybe I will damage it by doing so...

/sarcasm off

rptransam09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rptransam09
Member since 2005 • 1250 Posts

well on the 666th second of blu-ray playback, the PS3 turns red and births baby unicorns.

maddbummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 maddbummy
Member since 2007 • 172 Posts

actually yes it will make ur ps3 selfdestruct

ScottHFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 ScottHFC
Member since 2006 • 364 Posts

Thats alot of crap. Your friend is lying to you.

djHaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 djHaQ
Member since 2005 • 1872 Posts
All lasers die. Your laser WILL die. It may be an INCREDIBLY long time from now, but it WILL die... in the future... sometime.
aznkid2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 aznkid2o9
Member since 2005 • 188 Posts
it won't ruin it, but like anything elsethings do wear down after repeated use and time. But its not something you have to really worry about for a long time. And if anything were to happen it should be up to sony to replace, hopefully free...
PonyPS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PonyPS3
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts

By the time my PS2 laser died (bought it slightly after launch), the new slim PS2 was out. Id venture to bet, the same thing will happen again. By the time my PS3 laser dies, it probably means its about time for me to get the newest SKU PS3 anyways...

longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts

well, your friend is an idiot lol

aznkid2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aznkid2o9
Member since 2005 • 188 Posts

By the time my PS2 laser died (bought it slightly after launch), the new slim PS2 was out. Id venture to bet, the same thing will happen again. By the time my PS3 laser dies, it probably means its about time for me to get the newest SKU PS3 anyways...

PonyPS3

You could of just had it replaced/fixed for free if you called sony...

PonyPS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PonyPS3
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts
[QUOTE="PonyPS3"]

aznkid2o9

You could of just had it replaced/fixed for free if you called sony...

The system was 5 years old at that point and was heavily used. I doubt it was a manufacturing problem as much as it was just normal wear and tear. I assumed they could "fix" the issue by replacing the laser for like 20 bucks or whatever. But the new slimline was out with IR support, much better for my home theater...and for the 149 or whatever it cost, Id rather the slimline....

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
The laser has no possible way of wearing out because of the fact it really never contacts any kind of moving parts. Most of any laser failures are due to loss of power to the laser itself. This could even be the board that it is mounted on has failed.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

this made my day.

Sony spends $700+ (last time i checked) to manufacture a console with the primary purpose being to play games and movies in the Blu Ray format. Yet at the same time they are building these machines and selling them at a loss only to have them ruined by the format they were designed for?!

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

jake0401

PS3 = quality. Not like the Xbox360 that plays DVDs and destroys them.

jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts
:roll:
snipe2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 snipe2004
Member since 2007 • 1872 Posts
its nice to know that your friend is jealous of you
GolemX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GolemX
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Your friend was right. Just came across this old thread and found it hilarious. My PS3 that was bought 2 years ago suddenly stopped playing the blu-ray disc that was on the other night. Now it won't play any type of disc anymore. No other function is affected. So yes, even with normal use it seems the laser can die within2 years. Very disappointing considering I've had a Sony DVD player that lasted many years longer. Dying laser of the PS3 is an epidemic.

Who__Dey85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Who__Dey85
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts
i play blu ray disks all the time. movies. and i play games all the time. which is blu ray. this is simply not true. and if it were, it would be headlining gaming news.
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

lol Now that gave me lolazers. C'mon son, think logically.

:roll:

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

oh your friend said that... i bet their a real credible source :roll:

"my friend told me if i dont unplug my ps3, when i fall asleep it will rob me, is this true?"

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
3 year old thread is old.
Foliage-King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Foliage-King
Member since 2010 • 720 Posts

LOL everyone in this thread got owned. Its true that watching bluray movies (constant streaming) will wear out the laser quicker then when playing games when it only reads the disc when loading into ram

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Typical wear and tear in anything you buy. You constantly use something and it eventually get wear and tear. If you rarely play games, dvds and blu-rays, I have to believe that it will last much longer than some person who is using it 8 hours a day. However, the fact is that Sony PS3 failure rate is higher than a regular blu-ray player. I think I read that regular blu-ray player's failure rate is like 3% and I think the PS3 failure rate was like 10% in the first 3 years. However, I think the latest slims are probably much more reliable and probably less than the 10%. Maybe even 5%. Not sure but it isn't nothing to worry about and "avoid" using the blu-ray or dvd playback.

I have actually been very impressed with the dvd/blu-ray playback of the PS3. I can't hear any noise from it. Great picture and sound! Don't forget that u get the internet features of blu-ray discs. Not many blu-ray players have wifi and if they do, they probably cost like $200.

Yrkoon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Yrkoon99
Member since 2007 • 494 Posts

actually playing movie discs on a console will speed up the wear of the laser since when playing movies the laser is constantly reading from the disc while with games it only has to read intermittingly to get data to the memory.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

yes, this type of thing (DVD player, Blu-ray player) has some estimation of wear down based on the number of uses but it's in the tens of thousands (40.000 maybe) and this estimation is in the worst case

GolemX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GolemX
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Well, I just bought a KEM-410ACA laser with mechanism on eBay for < £30. Acceptable, I guess. Still **** annoying to have a product like this starting tobreak downafter only 2 years of normal use and disappointing to find out how common this specific problem is.

jnjreams76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jnjreams76
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts
Well, even the PS3 games are on BluRay discs, (just like the movies), so feel free to smack your friend upside the head with a big piece of trout, because what he's telling you smells fishy. ;)ColoradoKindBud
lol. the trout line was well worth quoting! great stuff man.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

PS3 games are blu-ray disks as well so... there.

Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
Would bet no. That's like would iTunes music hurt ur iPod??
FIREKNIGHT19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FIREKNIGHT19
Member since 2010 • 467 Posts

Total myth. If this was the case then lasers in CD players and DVD players would be burning out worldwide.

lucarocks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 lucarocks1
Member since 2009 • 601 Posts
Thread is old people