if ur one of those people who depends on review to buy games well ....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for thenycest1_b_basic
thenycest1_b_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thenycest1_b_basic
Member since 2002 • 592 Posts

you seroiusly need to do your own research and play the games YOU want to play.

and not go by reviewers.

reviews DO HELP point out negative stuff but remember everyone has different tastes for games (jus like how you could like rap and someone else can totally hate it but love rock. know what i mean?)

personally i have bought games based on reviews this guys praised it, da da da, gave it a 8.8 or a 9 and i got it. guess what it wasn't the type of game i like playing, it jus sits on my shelf.

and when i DO want to buy a certain game i DO look at reviews and unless its a really bad game i usually get it. and guess what i enjoy it. it comes off my shelf alot more cause its the TYPE of game i want to play. good reviews will make this purchase more probable.

ur interest FIRST, reviews second. reviews ALONE shouldn't move you to buy a certain game. they are jus helpful things/informative things.

ex. lair , gs gave it 4.5? well guess what that guy doesn't know what hes talking about, graphics are reall good and controls isn't as bad as he says it is. To play lair correctly u need to know the controls and play with smooth movements. otherwise its a horrible experience. smooth movements and a willingness to learn controls will make lair the title to own now.

serph-1925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 serph-1925
Member since 2006 • 581 Posts

u said it i dont really care about review if i like a game i buy it

some people if a game got bad review they dont want to play it.has for me reviews cant stop me form getting a games

longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts
i get what i think i will like regardless of a reviewer's opinion. how else would you find your own hidden gems? i dont want to play all the same old crap everyone else likes i want to play the games that I personally like regardless of what others think. thats why i got lair. and i love it.
StrayMBlasTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StrayMBlasTER
Member since 2005 • 375 Posts
i use reviews as a genaralization (60% reliable) most of the time its personal interests. kinda the reason why i still like dynasty warriors
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
i always go after WHAT i am interested in, i dont let no foolish reviews make my mind up, if im into that kind of game i go for it.
Flavante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Flavante
Member since 2006 • 724 Posts

There is actually someone that thinks the way I do with reviews nowadays. Yet I still look at reviews. But still... Like I always tell myself if I like it then that it is something I can put in my gaming library.

ynfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 ynfive
Member since 2004 • 455 Posts

wow this topic seems to pop up a lot lately in the Ps3 forums. Is it because major reviewers have been giving major PS3 games somewhat crappy reviews? In light of that I must say I am finding reviews of games to be less influential to me than they have been in the past. Still a review is an opinion, and most reviewers I think are entitled to it with their abled immersion to a wide variety of a number of games that most gamers can never hope to see without an extended gaming budget. This also means a loss of intimacy with any one particular title that the usual gamer will have when invested on occasional purchases.

ynfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 ynfive
Member since 2004 • 455 Posts

wow this topic seems to pop up a lot lately in the Ps3 forums. Is it because major reviewers have been giving major PS3 games somewhat crappy reviews? In light of that I must say I am finding reviews of games to be less influential to me than they have been in the past. Still a review is an opinion, and most reviewers I think are entitled to it with their abled immersion to a wide variety of a number of games that most gamers can never hope to see without an extended gaming budget. This also means a loss of intimacy with any one particular title that the usual gamer will have when invested on occasional purchases.

Avatar image for JustWiicredible
JustWiicredible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JustWiicredible
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts

I do take the reviews onboard but if theres a game that i realllly want and it has a sucky review i'm still going to buy it.

Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts

You know what you want and what you like best so why do you need others to tell you otherwise.

justifythegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 justifythegame
Member since 2003 • 475 Posts
well i guess if you have a lot of money to spend on games without worry you can take that approach. I work real hard to make mine, and i can't bring myself to waste $60 on a game unless it gets something in the 9 range, and the games that are 9 and above are almost always good (except the new gta games which i got sick of playing). To this day i only have the 2 games i bought with my ps3 from last year. Remember back when ps1 games were 39...ahh those were the days.
Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts

i personally don't think reviews are useful and that they personal ruin games for me. that said your right you shouldn't let people make the decision for you. there is, however in my opinion, the opinion of professional reviewers are no different t hen those of people online both in my opinion are pretty useless cause you really don't know either.

and if your gonna go by reviews well you cant pick and choose, if you accept one review you got to accept them all (by that i mean you have to accept that each one is an equally valid opinion). personally i don't see why people get so worked up over other people's opinions, if your gonna get passionate about something there much more worthy causes to be angered over.

also if you think a particular review publication isn't being fair why plaster there review all over the site with a link to the review, why help them generate hits a nd revenue if you really don't like em? in the end i think people should just do what makes gaming more fun for them, and hopefully what doesn't make them blow a vein lol.

Mad_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mad_Dude
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts
game reviews give a good indication of how good a game is. if game scores crap, generally is it crap. why would you want to buy a crap game. games that score 8 or higher i look at as a possible purchace. under 8 i dont even bother. but even if a game scores 11/10 best game ever made GOTY it doesnt mean i instantly buy it. i always try first. i save money and dont waste my time playing crappy games.
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

Since you all really feel that reviews don't really influence your decision to buy games, then you all should not bother reading them. If the reviews were positive, you all would run out and get the game in discussion. I'm not saying that your minds wouldn't have been made up already but that positive review would just give you reassurance of your purchase. So, that review influenced you whether you want to believe it or not. So if a review on a game turns out to be negative, then yes, you can disregard that reviewers opinion and get that game. That is your free will. But don't come on here complaining about that game when you were forewarned of the flaws. Reviews are there to report the positives and the negatives of a game. No game is perfect but all you hope for is a solid review that is reliable and accurate on the game. Most reviewers are biased and that is something I think anyone with common sense can figure out. The real credible reviews will always influence your decision. Because after reading about that game and you are at that store ready to buy it, that review will stick to your head on why it was positive or negative. I never rely on a review 100% (I gotAll-pro 2K8 when it was reviewed average)and neither should anyone else. If you read any of them, you have already considered what was said in them.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

Exactly!

game reviews give a good indication of how good a game is. if game scores crap, generally is it crap. why would you want to buy a crap game. games that score 8 or higher i look at as a possible purchace. under 8 i dont even bother. but even if a game scores 11/10 best game ever made GOTY it doesnt mean i instantly buy it. i always try first. i save money and dont waste my time playing crappy games.Mad_Dude